Recount in battleground States?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Nov 22, 2016.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-vote-recount-michigan-pennsylvania-wisconsin

Yes, I know...despite my opinions, I should respect the process. Yet, looking at the numbers and the accusations does give me pause. Should we go down this rabbit hole? I'm frankly not sure...but to be clear as much as I am not a fan of President Trump, i look at this as a non-partisan issue - an issue of free-and-fair elections. Should this go forward? There has honestly been so many new and unanticipated events this election that I don't really even know anymore...

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

3. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, what can you do? I thought it was an interesting precedent...

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't know, on the one hand if there is evidence of fraud it should be investigated, but on the other proving it and removing Trump as president elect would likely lead to open rebellion from his supporters and civil war. So it may be better for the country to allow the fraud to take place and better secure voting systems for future elections.

5. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Normally I'd say it's reaching, but Professor Alex Halderman is a known quantity and one of the best there is in what he does. He's not a partisan hack.

If he says the numbers are odd, it needs to be checked.

6. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Things like this make people who say this as bad as the people they say incorrectly say will attack. They should be looking to unify the devide, not divide it even further.

[edited post because I can't directly point out the truth anymore on these forums when someone says incorrect statements. It's incorrectly seen as a personal attack, when in fact it's just pointig out the truth and not eprsonal at all]

7. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Let me explain myself, I view Nate Silver as pretty much the only person in the media who understands statistics. So when he says it's meaningless after correcting for race and education I think we should move on :).

9. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Fair enough. He didn't fare so well with the election though...in any case I thought it was interesting that it was brought up by academics and mathematicians. I have made my peace with president trump, but who knows...

10. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

He did give Trump a bigger chance than anyone else, though. This was just a very hard election to predict.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Lets say Hillary does challenge the election and win on a recount. She won't have much time to set up her cabinet and I'm sure Trump would not go down without a fight. We would be swimming in even more unchartered waters where the sharks have laser beams and are extremely ill tempered.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As much as I'd like to see Trump slink back to his penthouse, this is ridiculous. We have nothing more than some accusation. You have some proof? Produce it or ****. We've damaged our institutions enough already.

This is exactly the same thing many worried Trump would do.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

An interesting story.

Actually, I hadn't even noticed it until I was phoned and texted about it.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think it's too late for a recount honestly. Election Day was weeks ago. Clinton has already formally recognized Trump as the winner and have her concession speech. It's pretty tough to back peddle from that at this point.

If the numbers appeared to be off, which I am no judge of, her team should have been the ones to demand a recount on Election Day.

I've had this looking thought in the back of my head for a while... just an observation of irony.
    -Trump proclaims he might not accept the results of the election weeks before the election (frankly I don't even think he understood the question, but maybe it was calculated)
    - Democrats flip out and raise hell that Trump will not resign himself when Hillary inevitablely wins
    - Trump wins by a very narrow margin

Now if Hillary demands a recount, in that such a big deal was made about Trump "undermining the electoral college" (side note: the irony of such words now with late demands of recounts, changing electorate votes, abolishing the system), she risks making herself look extremely hypocritical.

15. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

The recount could also show that it was rigged in Hillary's favor, giving her more votes than actual.

You could argue that Trump won so it's natural to suspect Trump. But there isn't anything to support that. Hillary is the candidate that lost, so she can demand the recount.

There's nothing at the moment from the article that suggests that Trump rigged the election.

16. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Why does the right always get accused of rebellion and civil war? All the while, the left are out protesting, blocking traffic and burning things down.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think its unlikely the left will engage in civil war. The conservatives in the countryside - I'm less sure.

18. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

I'll take that bet.

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

To be fair, it always comes up in discussions about the 2A - something about needing guns to rise up in the event the government goes batsh** crazy on us!

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Remember when people worried that Trump would not go gentle into that good night?

21. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

Professor Alex Halderman isn't in the media, and is frankly a higher caliber than anyone at 538.

22. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Funny that there people claiming Obama has told Clinton not to contest the election or ask for an audit. Obama is part of a Right-Wing-Kremlin conspiracy. Hilarious.

23. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I wouldn't invite Civil War on us again, the election is over, Democrats lost and Trump won, stop campaigning.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

A 'post-election' audit is worth conducting, as both Clinton and Trump questioned the electoral process. We need to determine whether any of these claims is true. However, an audit is not necessarily a recount, for audit can be done by random sampling rather than using a full data set.