Resolved Recover Messenger chat history [Was: I'm sorry to post this here ...]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by a-m-k, Dec 15, 2011.

1. a-m-k, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

It's file question... I am trying to rebuild my chat history on messenger for mac.
    The file that is correct is
    file:///Users/myname/Desktop/e-mail address/Messenger%2011%

The file path I need to edit is
    file://users/myname/Desktop/Messenger%2012%e-mail address.htm

How can I correct the file path I want to edit.

(I used 'myname' and the word 'e-mail address' to protect the privacy of myself and the person I am talking in the conversation. I don't know how this happened.)

Thank you for your help!!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

There is nowhere near enough information here for us to help you. What are you using that needs this? What are you trying to accomplish?

EDIT: Ah, I see you're using Messenger (I believe it is part of Office?). Capitalization helps! Is there no setting in Messenger that will allow you to point it to the correct file? The file that you have listed as correct is not a file. Also, the second file path is not a correct HTML file path (you have a space instead of a %20 between e-mail and address.htm). I don't know if you copy/pasted that info or not...

You might get more luck if you posted in a more relevant sub-forum. This section is about MBP hardware. You can request a move of this thread by clicking the warning symbol at the bottom of your first post.

3. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Will do about the moving, thanks.... I have messenger for mac. I don't have parallels.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I moved the thread to Mac Basics and Help and gave it a more descriptive title.

Hopefully someone can figure out what you are trying to do.

B

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

What about the questions I had regarding the paths? Do those help to shed any light?

6. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

The %20 thing... I think that is by default, and from web page editing which, believe it or not, I can do I know that can be replaced either by making the file into a string of non-stop words like for instance if I were to make a file that is called my name is carol (not my real name, just an exsample), it would be 'mynameiscarol.html' or to include spaces it would be 'my_name_is_carol.html'.

I didn't realize my original issue to get back my chat history got that technical. So ANY help is appreciated.

I am using messenger for mac, I don't have parallels installed because I was told, it would slow down my mbp considerably. I only play one or two windows based games (CD-ROM), so it wouldn't be worth it.

Thank you again!

7. a-m-k thread starter macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

Apparently many people have wanted to recover their chat histories.

I found a solution that took no time at all to get the folder back that had the chat history I wanted to save in Messenger for Mac. All I did was send a message to a friend who was on their messenger program. They didn't reply, I had already had the settings to save all chat conversations. All I did was just rename the folder that had the started conversation and just rename the folder with the e-mail address of the person who's conversations I wanted to save. It was "THAT" easy. LOL. (Who knew.)

I tried creating the folder myself, but I am thinking that maybe something in the pathname was wrong and couldn't fix it.