Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Yes, I know it's a long shot, but I was wondering if, using iPhoto, or ANY, ANY, ANY APPLICATION, I can attempt to recover some recently deleted photos from my Canon Powershot S2 IS with a 1gb memory card.

I uploaded 650 photos into iPhoto, reflexively deleted them from my camera, and BOOM, my hard drive fckin' died.

Anyone have any, any suggestions? I will do ANYTHING.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Errr, yes, this sounds stupid, but how do I mount the card with Disk Utility? I'm trying, but all I see are my hard drive, my external hard drive, and my ipod.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
I mean, my camera is attached, it's definitely reading the card, but it can't mount the whole thing (I mean, iPhoto recognizes it, but it's not recognized as the 1gb memory card it is by Disk Utility)

qpawn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2003
California
When I plug my Olympus camera into my computer, an icon pops up on the desktop. It's also in Disk Utility... then I just click on it and hit New Image.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Grrr... so not cool. I've got to figure out how to mount the damn camera...

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Dammit... it says that it can't recognize the flash card, which is ludicrous because the damn thing is attached to the computer, and iPhoto is picking it up. Why can't I get an icon to show up on the desktop?

qpawn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2003
California
Shacklebolt said:
Dammit... it says that it can't recognize the flash card, which is ludicrous because the damn thing is attached to the computer, and iPhoto is picking it up. Why can't I get an icon to show up on the desktop?
I dunno what to tell you... I've been reading over the manual for your camera. Maybe open "Image Capture" in your Applications folder and set the preferences to do nothing when you connect your camera. :eek:

qpawn

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2003
California
Shacklebolt said:
God...

I

hate

computers.

I'm trying to figure this out.
As a last resort, you could always buy a cheap memory card reader... maybe even return it to the store after you use it. :p

jimsmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2001
I had all my photos from the day my son was born corrupt on my CF card :(

I was not happy to put it mildly. However I came accross some software that recovered them all.

It's called PhotoRescue Wizard and it allows you to see what you will recover and then after purchasing allows you to recover.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

Good luck!

thewright1

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
What's up all,

I know this is kind of an old thread but it's definitely relative to my problem. The wife put me in the dog house cause I accidentally deleted some photos off of an SD card. Not only did I just delete the photos but I used the card again to take more pictures of something else. Is there ANYTHING I can do?? I know my chances would be a lot better if I hadn't taken any other pictures on the card, but then again, i wouldn't have deleted the pictures in the first place if I didn't need to use the card :(

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008

That worked for me when I deleted my card on accident. Just make sure you lock the SD card to read only so it wont overwrite your existing pictures or files on your SD card. The SD card contents are still on your drive but gave the OK for the computer or camera to overwrite files/

thewright1

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008

That worked for me when I deleted my card on accident. Just make sure you lock the SD card to read only so it wont overwrite your existing pictures or files on your SD card. The SD card contents are still on your drive but gave the OK for the computer or camera to overwrite files/

Thanks, I'll definitely try it. Did you re-take any photos by any chance after you deleted your card or was your card still empty?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Media Recover is real easy to use, I tested it recently for just that situation and it worked like a charm. I've included a report of that test below.

http://dpmac.com/2010/09/media-recover-digital-image-recovery-made-easy/

Just what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

phreebsd

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
i have used Bad Copy Pro successfully for this purpose. It has a function just made for cf storage mediums.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
I just had a card die on me as I pressed 'Import' in Aperture 3.1. The thumbnails had shown up in the import dialogue and I had selcted the images I needed, hit import and then the beachball appeared and then a message telling me the card had been improperly ejected. No images had been copied over.

The card from then onwards refused to mount on the desktop. Same on a Windows machine.

I tried the RescuePro software that comes with Sandisk cards (I was importing from a Sandisk Extreme III 8Gb, 18 months old) and PhotoRescue and a couple of other progrmas that I can't remember the name of.

The recovery programs could see the card, but when I tried to see if I could recover anything my whole system would crash (Mac OS gray screen of death - hold down power button to reboot etc). This also happened a couple of times even when I'd only just plugged the card into the reader and wasn't trying to access it!

Anyway, I've bitten the bullet and sent it off to these people: http://card-recovery.biz/

It's expensive, my insurance doesn't cover electronic loss of data, and the client wasn't keen on a reshoot (and nor was I because it was a fair distance away and I got lucky with the light in this dreary English autumn).

Fingers crossed.

Shacklebolt, I know your initital thread post was from 4 years ago but did you have any success recovering your files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.