Recovered jailbroken 3GS (i didnt jailbreak), have to start the whole process over.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SayNoToPistons, Jan 27, 2011.

1. SayNoToPistons macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently acquired an Iphone 3GS that was jailbroken. There were still files and contacts in the phone, and being new to Iphones, I clicked Delete All Data which required my phone to be recovered after. I finally figured out how to put my phone in DFU mode and recover it on itunes with the latest iphone software.

I need to begin my process of somehow making this phone usable for my T-Mobile network and simcard. The phone is currently asking me to insert the AT&T simcard (which I obviously dont have) and activate the phone. As someone that is new to the Iphone, I am unsure how to approached this. Can you guys help guide me in the right direction to this situation?

Thank you in advance.

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Well my friend, since you said that you restore I can safely assume that you restore to 4.2.1 which is the most recent software. That means that you also updated the Baseband to a version that is currently not unlocked.

Your option are a bit limited, you can use pwnage tool to create a custom IPSW with the iPad baseband and unlock that one, this have some side effect like voiding your warranty (you may not care about it depending on how you "acquired" the phone), Bluetooth not working and some GPS issues. You still going to need a AT&T SIM to activate, you can get one of ebay, SIM doesn't have to be active.

3. SayNoToPistons thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have access to an at&t sim from borrowing one from a friend. Once the phone is activated do I still need an at&t sim to use it assuming it can be unlocked and jail broken after activation?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Once you JBed and passed the activation screen usig any AT&T sim card you can run untrasn0w to unlock and you can use any SIM at that point (Assuming all went well)