Recovered Stolen iPhone 6 Using Find my iPhone and the Police

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chocolatemilty, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Chocolatemilty, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

Hey MacRumors readers! So, last night was borderline crazy of how events folded that led to the retrieval of my dear baby iPhone 6 which I had JUST received Thursday. Here goes. BTW, TL;DR version below, but this is a pretty great Sunday read...maybe?

Last night, I went out with my good friends to have some fun during my spring break and ended up at a pretty great Irish pub/nightclub. We're having a great time and towards the end of the night, I pulled out my new iPhone 6 and snap some pictures of myself, my friends, some lovely ladies, and the like. Fast forward 7 or so minutes to the closing of the club, I reach into my pocket for my iPhone...GONE. I immediately scour the newly illuminated floor for it, even going the extra mile of nicely but quickly questioning the group of lovely ladies we were hanging with to see if they had it. I make a B-line to the bathroom to ask my friend to use his iPhone (with whom we had just went to Neucase earlier in the day to get his screen repaired, and I HIGHLY recommend them if anyone's in the La Puente, CA area, they do amazing work and are upstanding gentlemen) for Find my iPhone. Upon logging in...iPhone is off. Now I know I'm dealing with a stolen iPhone, not a lost one.

We scour the place, asking the bar, bouncers (whom were very gracious and feeling for my new loss, to my surprise), going outside to loudly ask leaving patrons and listen for the possible sound played on my iPhone. NOTHING.

Mind you, I had just received this phone Thursday night in the mail. I was entertaining purchasing AppleCare+, but hadn't yet. Because of this, I'm freaking out, as my $750+ iPhone is nowhere to be found. My buddies start talking me up, saying I could encounter a great Genius who's understands and let's me add it now and use my first $79 incident, which is possible, but definitely not probable.

We depart and head on home, all the while staying logged into Find my iPhone and talking about potential gameplans for me to get a new iPhone. Upon almost arriving home, we get a GPS ping on Find my iPhone...it's been found, inside a house, FIVE SECONDS AGO. In just about real-time, we find where it is - 5 minutes away from our current location. At this point, I'm still calm, but am just about to enter Full Vigilante Mode. I'm just about ready to strap on my Birdman costume and serve some self-justice. Then, I remember Sam Sheffer's write up on The Verge detailing his ordeal of retrieving his iPhone (http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/11/7188365/i-caught-the-thief-who-stole-my-iphone), and immediately "CALL THE POLICE NOW" plays over and over in my head. We call them, transferred to the police department where the theft occurred, and talked with an amazing dispatcher who helped us greatly. Told us a sheriff deputy will be out to make a house call and assist us within 10 minutes. I'm in disbelief already that a deputy is willing to help us recover what they may get many calls for daily. Nonetheless, we arrive near the house and are met by the sheriff deputy.

Along with the officer, my two buddies and me, with no search warrant issued, decide to use the Intimidation Factor - white light, red and blues shining, Maglite flashlight, and the incredibly loud police-style door bang. Our officer was amazing, as I'm awe-stricken by her bravado, if you will. First bang, nothing, but a definite look through the bedroom blinds. Second louder bang, more blind ruffling, with a Maglite shone into the window. A man answers the door, our officer says, in the most direct voice: "Hello sir. Have you been to (club's name) tonight?" "Yes." "Did you find an iPhone?" *reluctantly replies* "Yes." "Would you mind going to get it for me?" IPHONE RETRIEVED.

The series of events that follows this happen all within an hour. Everything fell into place in the most tv-drama-style I can ever think of. One missed step here, a nonchalant dispatcher there, a missed minute in using Find my iPhone over there, or triggering Lost Mode right here, and it's the difference between a recovered iPhone and one sold on the black market for parts. It was the craziest property retrieval story I will probably ever have, and I'm extremely fortunate to have my still-practically-brand-new iPhone in my hands.

TL;DR Version:

iPhone stolen in club. Find my iPhone used. Location found. Police called. Sheriff deputy assists. Badassness ensued. iPhone recovered. All within an hour. Forever grateful.

Now, I must go order AppleCare+. Thanks for reading, my lovely folks.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

3. djkasmic macrumors member

AppleCare+ is no assurance for stolen iPhones Dude!!

4. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Glad you got your phone back - did you add Insurance by your carrier today???

5. Jtludwig macrumors 6502

AppleCare+ provides NO protection for lost or stolen devices.

6. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Great story. you are one of the lucky few! Glad you got it back.

7. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, all.

Yes, I researched more and found stolen iPhones are not covered by AppleCare. That's disappointing, but I guess it's more extended warranty than insurance. Nonetheless, I probably will add AT&T insurance on my plan today, but I wanted to check the warranty stuff with my Discover card to see if that covers theft or loss. Extra $6 is a small pain in the side but worth not having a stolen or lost iPhone in the future if need be, however. I never had insurance on anything prior (besides car, medical, and life) since I've never lost or had anything stolen. It's the whole "it'll never happen to me" thing, until it happens to you.

8. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Congrats on the recovery. I'm glad it worked out for you.

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Don't forget to drop a $50 in the Police benevolent fund.

10. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Really nice to hear of a happy stolen-tech-ending, and a nice story about a helpful police officer! :)

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

12. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Over the years I have developed a set of cardinal rules regarding iPhones. They can be applied to any smartphone... but since myself and a lot of my friends are Apple fans... I call them my iPhone Cardinal Rules. It is very simple. Following them has caused me to never lose or misplace an iPhone.

Cardinal Rule #1.

If your iPhone isn't in your hand, it's in your pocket.

Cardinal Rule #2.

If your iPhone isn't in your pocket it's in your hand.

There are only 2 exceptions to Cardinal Rule #2.

#1 Exception:
    If you are home, your iPhone can be left at your charge/sync area to charge or sync if that is consistently the same place you charge/sync. Don't constantly move your charger around your house.

#2 Exception:
    If you have a docking station for your iPhone in your vehicle, you may dock it there while driving, but under no circumstances are you to leave your vehicle unless you execute Cardinal Rule #1 or #2.

I recite these rules to friends who leave their phones on the table while enjoying a meal at the restaurant. By doing this, you are just asking for a drink to spill on your phone or to just forget it when you pay your bill and leave. Or even worse... have a thief pass by and swipe it without you looking.

Another one for guys is leaving it on the top of a urinal toilet while going to the bathroom. Why not just stick it in your pocket while you take a pee? I literally have seen phones left on urinal at least a dozen times in my life.

13. maliu macrumors 6502a

His was stolen out of his pocket. :/

14. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

He never said that. He said he "reached into his pocket and it was gone."

That doesn't mean he was pick pocketed.

15. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

This was officially the longest macrumors post I've ever read. Glad it worked out. I have now re-enabled Find My iPhone on my 6+.

----------

Who the hell would put their phone on a urinal? If any portion of my iPhone 6+ ever touch any portion of a public urinal, toilet, or porta-potty you can be sure that phone would never touch any part of me again.

16. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I had to have been pick pocketed. I would put my paycheck and degrees on me putting my phone back in my pocket. 100% certain. This is what added to how crazy this entire thing was. Nonetheless, those tips are great.

17. MCSN macrumors regular

MCSN

18. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't. There were many a guy that fit his profile in there in hindsight, but I didn't see who did it.

19. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

You have to slightly adjust your rules to fit the new iPhone's dimensions.
    It's not pleasant to keep it in your pocket while seated, because of the new size (not to speak about the rear pocket and the possibility to actually bent it!).

20. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I always like hearing stories of people getting their phone's back after theft. It gives me hope the police will actually give a hoot if my 6+ every gets stolen.

21. dk206 macrumors regular

Dammit

I was so looking forward to the Vigilante version. Screw the cops!!!

22. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

iPhone 6 fits in my pocket just fine. Haven't tried a 6+, but I don't think I'd have a problem with it either... I have carried Galaxy Note 2 and LG G3 in the past with no issues. Friends don't let friends wear skinny jeans! ;)

----------

I'd love to see who you would call if your house was robbed, car stolen, you or family attacked....

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes, Discover card offers loss/theft/breakage insurance for 90 days for up to $500, so you would've been (partially) covered.

Also, before you go with AT&T insurance, check with your homeowner's or renters insurance policy. They might cover your iPhone and other valuables already, or if not, they might be able to for less than AT&T insurance.

Glad you got your phone back!

24. Chocolatemilty thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great to hear, thank you! I suppose what I'm gonna do is check with our home warranty and see if my electronics is covered. Also, if I find a good price on regular AppleCare on eBay (as I did with my previous generation iOS devices) I may do that too to extend the main warranty via Apple.

Also, I went ahead and called the Sheriff's department and left a glowing report/review for the deputy that helped me recover my iPhone. The deputy that answered was very gracious. They definitely helped me instill a bit more faith in law enforcement for sure.