recovery system failure on new SSD. Sick of it.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by WAM2, Nov 10, 2011.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Can not for the life of me install Lion, I Dont have an optibay, i Dont want one, and I Installed a new SSD into my MBP and when trying to install lion off the USB stick it says saying "Recovery System can't be created" and failed the installation, there is seriously no way to get around this it seems. I Tried creating a Partition Called Recovery HD at 10gb and it failed, and when trying it at 2gb the disk partitioning hangs at Waiting for disks to reappear. The funny thing is that this SSD is brand new, and works fine with my iMac, but I want it in my MBP, how the H3LL do i get this to work? I'm sooo frustrated.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

1. Install Lion to rotating media.
    2. Use CCC to clone Lion to SSD
    3. You have a Lion USB stick so what do you need a recovery partition for? Ignore Lion's obsession with creating one and simply clone it from a working Lion install.

BTW, there is one other option that's slightly more painful. You could install SL to the SSD and then install Lion using "Install OS X Lion.app" which you can re-download from the app store. See. I told you it was painful.

3. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

it would be a pain, I'm on DSL and I Don't own Snow Leopard. My iMac came with snow leopard, thats how I Bought Lion. So All I Have is iMac Restore discs with snow leopard.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

So you have 3 Macs...
    iMac
    MB
    MBP

And you had Lion on all 3 until you decided to put SSD in the MBP, correct? So you can put the old rotating media back in the MBP and it has Lion, correct? Then do that, invest in a $10 USB to SATA cable and use CCC to get Lion onto your SSD. That should be the end of the story unless there is something about your situation I don't yet understand.