Red Planet Plans ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rhonindk, Mar 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

2. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Yeah, it's nice and all, but it's going to be hard to launch from Canaveral when it's underwater. No money for NASA to do any kind of Earth sciences, that we desperately need on a daily basis.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm must be under the influence of all you Righties. I say the government shouldn't spend a dime on this. Let private enterprise find its own way to the Red Planet.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

5. HEK Suspended

HEK

We have enough money to spend on weapons, equivalent to the combined milirary expenditures of the next six (6) largest spending countrys combined. But not enough to launch weather and climate satilites or fund Nova on public television, or fund wheels on meals for old and handicapped people.

We spend more already than the next six countries combined.

And we are supposadly underfunded, and have weak military.....really.....there are actually people going along with this nonsense.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Weak compared to our potential space alien overloads with their superior technology. We must prepare for their invasion! Hence the trip to Mars. It all makes sense if you put it together.

Of course anyone who has seen a trailer for the new movie Life, knows that is absolutely the last place we should be going. :D

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I think the TV show "The Expanse" got things pretty spot-on if you're hypothesizing about the future. Love that show.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I disagree. The innovation alone and technology that will come out if it makes it a worthy expense.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Innovation doesn't require space exploration to move forward.

I'm just not in the mood to spend enormous amounts of money to visit a planet that will be waiting there for the foreseeable future, while we're so utterly incapable to taking care of business here on Earth.

Right now I want to take care of our citizens, and I would happily give up an innovation or two just to see our government genuinely address the needs of the people, instead of rocket ships.

12. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Mac's got a point, though. Aside from having a huge cataclysmic event, space tech does eventually trickle down to the masses. Not all of it, but some of it. I've been interested in Mars since I was a little lad in the 70s. It's one of the coolest things I can read up on for hours at a time. Once you see some high resolution photos in person, not on a computer, and see replicas of rovers, you become intoxicated with the idea of visiting Mars.

I'm for it. It may be the only smart thing this administration and congress will be behind. There's a joke to be made here, but I'll let someone else have it.

13. HEK Suspended

HEK

Give up another Ford class carrier and the F-35 and you can have both more help here and a viable space program to inspire the nation once again.

14. citizenzen, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd like to be on this side. But seeing the headlines, "millions thrown off healthcare rolls," next to, "Americans first to land on Mars," would just make me want to break something.

Add in some privitization or reductions in Social Security, or more bad climate change developments (in the face of massive budget cuts) and the idea of a large space mission just becomes an obscene joke on the American people.

But I do understand that I'm being the crusty, old curmudgeon here. You kids spend your money and resources however you want. At this point, I'm fast losing interest in the consequences of this nation's poor choices.

15. Zenithal macrumors 68040

You're going to face a yin-yang complication regardless of how great an administration is.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

We need to think about deep space travel sooner or later. The rate we are going earth will be a dead planet in 1000 years.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Require, probably not but it sure helps. Much of the technology you are using to post here was driven by the needs of the Apollo Program.

18. niploteksi macrumors regular

Space exploration or war :)

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump wants to put a hotel and golf course there. But before he can do that - he needs to make sure KFC is willing to open a franchise.

It's going to be the Off-Plant White House

Also - he's going to kick off all the aliens there. Believe me.

20. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Why must it be a manned project? What benefit justifies the expense and risk?

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Mankind must explore. It's in our DNA. If people are willing to take the risk, I'm willing to do my part for the expense. Who knows what benefits we will reap from this? At the very least, private companies can learn from NADA, and we get a real space tourism business started. Give something new to rich people to spend their money on, create jobs, collect taxes, etc.

22. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

But first things first, is this so-called Mars thing round or flat? Because it helps for landing a plane there you know, if it's flat it makes it easier for the pilot.

(oh and if you think I've lost my mind somehow, rest assured I have not - but there's this other thread called "the earth is flat" and I'm a little confused right now)

23. niploteksi macrumors regular

They would still have to land on the top, even if it was round. :D

24. HEK Suspended

HEK

The earth has cycled through many times, cleansing itself via eruptions of the Yellowstone super volcano or asteroid strikes. The apparant dominant life forms change. Consider that 99% of all species that have existed on this planet are extinct. We, in our arrogance like to think of ourselves as the dominant life form currently on the planet, when in reality, bacteria are far more dominant by shear weight and volume alone. And far more resiliant to survive the next cleansing.

The earth is just fine, and will continue to exist and thrive for another five billion years or so. Until the Sun enlarges and engulfs the earth in it's outer atmosphere as it makes the final transmution to iron and dies out. Homo Sapiens will have long since past from existance along with the billions of other species that represent the resiliency of living organisms.

In the big picture, we represent nothing but a mear spec of life's ever changing attempt to thrive. So fear not for the earth, as she considers us not at all.

25. niploteksi macrumors regular

So maybe it's not such a bad idea to populate the solar system before that volcano erupt? It all gets a little hazy when it's 100 generations down the line and not your grand children we are talking about. Do we really think that the human race is going to live that long and do we even want it to?

Nations and politics are based on the people living in the present, mostly, but the idea of populating space is so removed from everyday life.