Red State just can't handle the truth!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Feb 23, 2008.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I was surfing the web the other night and I decided to visit the conservative web blog Redstate.com. There were a lot of blog pieces and threads there bashing Democrats, bashing Obama, the usual things that you would expect from a Conservative blog. There was a thread on there pushing a lie that somehow Democrats and Liberals hate the military, hate Amerrica, ext. So I posted a response to it and asked a simple question.

If the Democrats know so little about the military, then how come there are far more DEMOCRATIC congressmen, governors, and senators who have ACTUALLY SERVED IN THE MILITARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unlike these Chicken Hawks Bush, Cheney, Delay, Limbaugh, Hannity, ext. I think its funny that the one Republican senator who has actually served in the military is just so hated by the right! So many Republican pundits shove the idea down our throats that some how liberals and Democrats are unpatriotic, flag burning, anti-American hippies. How are the Democrats any less patriotic then the Republicans?

BTW, no one on this site has actually been able to give me an answer to that question.

Their answer.......

THEY BLOCKED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, someone did call me a pathetic Obama supporter!

http://redstate.com/stories/elections/2008/not_going_silently_into_that_good_night#comment

2. stevegmu macrumors regular

Don't worry, you'll get high-fives here for putting those nasty Conservatives in their place. Remind me, which of the Democrat candidates for President has served in the military? Is it the angry harpy, or the one with ties to a terror organization?

3. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

if you want to know who has ties to terror orgs its rudy guliani
    yeah its my mom's crazy hobo-style conspiracy theory but it makes sense the way she tells it

4. Queso macrumors G4

Ho hum. Your responses are only getting weaker and weaker as time goes on aren't they?

The Conservatives on that site were lying. halfprep455 put them right, and was met with the customary response when someone puts overly partisan people right. They cover their ears, scream "la la la!", and immediately try to shut the one speaking the truth up.

However, that is at least is a more honest tactic than immediately attempting to turn the observation into yet more partisan point scoring.

Is it November yet? *insert yawn smiley here*

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Voltron.

Way to cloud the issue again.

What did halfprep say that was incorrect? Answering a question with a diversionary question only works when nobody is paying attention. Unfortunately for you, we are.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh, nice. Why don't I just call McCain a doddering, corrupt, dirty old man? You know, just to keep the discussion on your level?

And y'all keep leaning on that "terror organization" story. That's really workin' for ya. :rolleyes:

halfprep, obviously they couldn't come up with an answer, so of course you got blocked. :p You trouble-maker you.

8. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Let's see... you're frothing at the mouth about Thomas' headline being a slightly inaccurate quote of McCain; yet you have no hesitation to throw these rhetorical bombs.

Why is that?

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Why doesn't everyone here just ignore stevegmu. You all get so worked up by his comments :rolleyes:

Staying on topic, if the OP would have used a slightly more appropriate tone in his post I'm sure he would have gotten a response, but IMO it sounded childish.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Because if you let people lie like that, they think they can do it with impunity.

Besides, I'm hardly getting "worked up" by his comments. I think that's a gross mischaracterization.

You're right about this. The OP went in, guns blazing, rather than making an attempt to initiate an honest discussion.

12. Queso macrumors G4

I don't think you should put anyone in this part of the forum on your ignore list. By doing that you can miss insight, even if the poster only types something worthwhile in 1% of their posts.

13. stevegmu macrumors regular

Exactly. I am not familiar with RedState, but I imagine they get a lot of angry liberal posters, who really don't want a rational discussion. He did get a response.

If he wanted everyone to agree with him, he should have just posted here.

14. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

You're funny.

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I was going to make the same point. Attacking each other by throwing rhetorical bombs and then duck behind pseudo-responses and reflexive dogma is no way to have a discussion.

Weird. Two people just agreed with you. What does that mean?

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What? Good God man, that was nothing close to what he was talking about. :rolleyes: All you can do is distract and obfuscate and then claim it's the rest of us who are the partisan hacks. That you can criticize the OP for his tactics is so hypocritical, I'm amazed you could say that with a straight face, unless you are just trolling for a reaction.

BTW, terrorist organization? Calling Clinton a harpy is one thing. You obviously haven't noticed that most of us don't actually like her or defend her, and have criticized Obama as well, but where does that come from? You don't believe the NYT when they catch McCain doing favors (and possibly more) for a lobbyist, but toss stuff like this out there like it's true and expect us to take you seriously? You just keep going like that though, I'm sure you'll keep riling us up just like you want, right up until you get banned for trolling. Or you could try to have a real debate like you claim you want and stop using such tactics.

Because someone has to stand up to this type of thing. If left unchecked, it ruins forums like these. I've seen it elsewhere, and would hate to have it happen here.

Agreed, but I made the mistake of posting to one of those sites once. Unlike the somewhat inflammatory post of the OP, giving them some way to defend it, or stevegmu's trolling, I actually posted a brief, very reasoned question about the FISA law awhile back. The posters were all talking about how we needed this because the terrorists were going to get us and the Dems wanted to let them, I simply asked why we couldn't use warrants. Warrants that are easy to get, even after the fact. I wrote exactly what we could and couldn't do and why, with no accusations or blaming of the administration or anything. I was yelled down as a terrorist loving liberal who didn't get how the real world worked. No one actually disputed my points, or pointed out why it wouldn't work. The person who ran the board was actually the worst, and actually got a lot of obvious and easily verifiable things completely wrong. It's hard to argue with logic like that.

I'm not saying they're all like that, and I've seen liberal sites that do the same (some even worse), but when you can't actually back up your points with facts or proof, that's what you're left with. Same with the above. Rather than argue the facts with facts, easier just to talk make insults and turn the argument into something it isn't, and/or make strawman arguments.

But you do?

You call this rational discussion?

That he ignores it when something disproves his preconceived (and apparently incorrect) notions.

17. Queso macrumors G4

You will notice you have not been blocked, unlike those that disagree on Red State. However, I do wish you would extend your idea of how to debate into something a little more constructive. At the moment you do nothing but deride other posters when they disagree with you, which doesn't explain your reasoning and therefore isn't going to convince even non-posting readers of the forum that you know what you're talking about. We need a few more conservative posters on this forum to prevent it becoming an echo-chamber, especially since Swarmlord is no longer with us. However, you need to raise your game if you are going to present a rational case that your opinions are valid.

18. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Of course they banned you. Perhaps if you'd toned down your rhetoric, not used 20 exclamation points in a row, now all capped any words, not used words like "chicken hawk," you might have gotten a little further. And in the likely case that you wouldn't have, you'd have at least had an air-tight case that they were being unreasonable.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and this is why a lot of liebrals are not respected. They go off and pull crap like this off. I do not blame them for banning you. Hell if I was an admin and saw some one making post like this for there first post I would ban them no question asked. It pretty clear it is a trolling post.

20. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This isn't a matter of being a "liberal," "conservative," or what have you. It's a matter of respectful tone. I assume you aren't actually arguing that only "liberals" are capable of writing posts like this one.

Let's move on and discuss issues.

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hey, sweeping generality. I haven't seen one of those in.....(counts on fingers)....

Of course, 'conservatives' always post respectfully and thoughtfully. And the moon is made of cheese.