Reddit Quarantined r/The_Donald for ‘Threats of Violence’

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
Remember: when the Pulse shooting happened, Reddit's default r/news subreddit was actively deleting this topic off of their page. r/the_donald and r/askreddit were the only two prominent locations where Reddit users could actually find out what was happening in Florida.

Also: this quarantining happens a few days after the Google censorship story broke (which r/the_donald was a primary discussion channel on this topic), 2 days after Project Veritas' reddit account was suspended, and tonight is the first DNC debate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WatchRedditDie/comments/c5s774/the_donald_quarantined/

Last edited:

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Remember: when the Pulse shooting happened, Reddit's default r/news subreddit was actively deleting this topic off of their page. r/the_donald and r/askreddit were the only two prominent locations where Reddit users could actually find out what was happening in Florida.

Also: this quarantining happens a few days after the Google censorship story broke (which r/the_donald was a primary discussion channel on this topic), 2 days after Project Veritas' reddit account was suspended, and tonight is the first DNC debate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WatchRedditDie/comments/c5s774/the_donald_quarantined/
The main stream media outrage on this kind of censorship is deafening. Like listening to a clam in a desert.

(No bias here, move on /s)

556fmjoe

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2014
Reddit is in this case undoubtably finally enforcing its rules.

Trump should be banned from twitter too as he is in material breach of their rules.
This is absolute nonsense. They claimed that the subreddit promoted violence, even though it is explicitly against the rules listed in the sidebar. Do they quarantine every subreddit where someone somewhere has violated the explicitly stated rules of that subreddit? Of course they don't. Otherwise you could get any subreddit quarantined if you just make a sockpuppet account and post something violent there. And on top of that, one admin has already boasted about changing the content of posts on /r/the_donald to make the Redditor look bad. How does anyone know that those posts were not modified?

The bottom line is a simple as it is obvious: the postmodern left is intrinsically opposed to freedom of speech and so fragile that it throws a tantrum if anyone on the right is allowed to speak.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
This is absolute nonsense. They claimed that the subreddit promoted violence, even though it is explicitly against the rules listed in the sidebar. Do they quarantine every subreddit where someone somewhere has violated the explicitly stated rules of that subreddit? Of course they don't. Otherwise you could get any subreddit quarantined if you just make a sockpuppet account and post something violent there. And on top of that, one admin has already boasted about changing the content of posts on /r/the_donald to make the Redditor look bad. How does anyone know that those posts were not modified?

The bottom line is a simple as it is obvious: the postmodern left is intrinsically opposed to freedom of speech and so fragile that it throws a tantrum if anyone on the right is allowed to speak.
Not just an admin, but Steve Huffman, a co-founder of Reddit: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/reddit-edit-post

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK

Not true - https://qz.com/1246087/opinion-reddits-advertising-strategies-still-hide-hate-speech/

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX

maybe people shouldn't be so quick to be dicks because of the anonominity of internet posting and understand the exponential effects of reckless posting. This is a 21st century law-of-the-commons .

Solver

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
USA

It does seem that postmodern ideology is at the root of much of this crazy bigoted mob outrage anti-free speech, anti-personal responsibly, anti-reason, anti-objective reality divisive tribal nonsense going on.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
It does seem that postmodern ideology is at the root of much of this crazy bigoted mob outrage anti-free speech, anti-personal responsibly, anti-reason, anti-objective reality divisive tribal nonsense going on.
or that the bigots, the irresponsible, the unreasonable, and the anti-objective finally have a platform to amplify their grievances. To a degree that achieves parity of saturation with traditional news.

Pepe4life

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2018
Multiple evidence surfacing now showing that left wing organizations are planting false evidence to ruin the community. The left is desperate to take down Donald Trump and they will stop at nothing to get it done. Sad!
[doublepost=1561589347][/doublepost]

Make no mistake, Steve Huffman has modified reddit’s algorithm multiple times to make sure T_D doesn’t show up on the front page, now he’s taking another step towards banning it. Let’s not forget that he also edited a user’s comment without permission.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
Last edited by a moderator:

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Ask most people what Reddit is and they wouldn't know what it is. It's not a very popular site outside of the internet. It offers nothing that isn't available elsewhere. Whether it was this sub section of some site or a liberal one, they're mere echo chambers wherein people pat each other on the back.

I sincerely doubt the age statistics Reddit claims to have.

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
Ask most people what Reddit is and they wouldn't know what it is.
I disagree with your classification of Reddit. According to Alexa, Reddit is the 14th most popular website in the entire world. To put that into reference, Twitter is the 11th most popular, Amazon is the 7th, Facebook is the 3rd, Netflix is 22nd, and LinkedIn is 24th. (Source: Alexa - The top 500 sites on the web)

If there were a group of websites that most people would definitely know, I feel like Reddit would most likely make the shortlist.

It's not a very popular site outside of the internet.
As opposed to websites that exist outside of the Internet? I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

It offers nothing that isn't available elsewhere. Whether it was this sub section of some site or a liberal one, they're mere echo chambers wherein people pat each other on the back.
Too true.

I sincerely doubt the age statistics Reddit claims to have.
The quoted statistic that @FrankieTDouglas presented to you was pulled from a study/analysis that was done on this subject by the Pew Research Center. (Source) This is not a claim of Reddit. I think it is unfair of you to dismiss this just because it does not validate your beliefs.

Reactions: vipergts2207

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I disagree with your classification of Reddit. According to Alexa, Reddit is the 14th most popular website in the entire world. To put that into reference, Twitter is the 11th most popular, Amazon is the 7th, Facebook is the 3rd, Netflix is 22nd, and LinkedIn is 24th. (Source: Alexa - The top 500 sites on the web)

If there were a group of websites that most people would definitely know, I feel like Reddit would most likely make the shortlist.

As opposed to websites that exist outside of the Internet? I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

Too true.

The quoted statistic that @FrankieTDouglas presented to you was pulled from a study/analysis that was done on this subject by the Pew Research Center. (Source) This is not a claim of Reddit. I think it is unfair of you to dismiss this just because it does not validate your beliefs.
This is just an example of the completely normal situation of someone not being able to admit when they’re wrong on the internet. Nothing to see here.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009

Since you have a tough time comprehending simple English, what effect does Reddit have on the world vs. Amazon, for example? It's very confined.

Say Reddit is known in a third-world country, as is Amazon. Exactly what does Reddit do outside of being an echo chamber? Amazon likely delivers, in some fashion, to that third-world country. People know what Amazon does. Amazon has its hands in many cookie jars.

Reddit is a social networking site. I've visited the site. I've read threads. It is an echo chamber of thought. Let me explain this in another way.

*******, according to Alexa, is a top 50 website that's accessed worldwide. Much like Reddit, ******* is an echo chamber for degeneracy. How does ******* affect the globe or the US economy in any fashion, other than higher medical rates due to encouraging sexual activity thus raising STD rates?

Asterisks represent a very well know adult content site that's ranked 27 on Alexa.
[doublepost=1561602317][/doublepost]
Amazon
Google
YouTube
Wikipedia

These aren't echo chambers. Three of these spur economic growth, specifically US economic growth. All three sites have impeccable reach and impact on people's lives throughout the world. Name drop Wikipedia, and nearly everyone will know what you're talking about, including people in retirement homes. Drop the name Google, Amazon, YouTube, etc. will have the same effect.

Reddit is no different than Digg. What happened to Digg?

10 years ago I'd have said the same about Facebook. Today, Facebook owns its own internal ads network. It offers B2B services like a separate professional grade Facebook for blue chips and fortune 500 companies. They own their own internal streaming network. They have a foothold in global politics. Their reach makes an impact on people's lives.

Methodology was based on pick and choose with prescreening questions. They also used tools for keyword mentions developed by a third party. The actual research you linked to was and is strictly about the 2016 elections, a blip in the grand scheme of Reddit's usecase. I'd prefer self-reported age due to how anonymous the website is compared to questioning prescreeners use to weed out people based on preconceived notions on who or who shouldn't be able to take their survey.

Last edited:

Brad9893

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Hiding Under the Genius Bar
Since you have a tough time comprehending simple English, what effect does Reddit have on the world vs. Amazon, for example? It's very confined.

Say Reddit is known in a third-world country, as is Amazon. Exactly what does Reddit do outside of being an echo chamber? Amazon likely delivers, in some fashion, to that third-world country. People know what Amazon does. Amazon has its hands in many cookie jars.

Reddit is a social networking site. I've visited the site. I've read threads. It is an echo chamber of thought.
Social networking sites have greatly changed the world since their inception, and I don't think it's wise to discount their influence on society and culture. Our world would be completely different if they had never been invented. Amazon delivering tangible goods, physical or otherwise, does not necessarily trump that. Also, I have no trouble understanding simple English, thank you very much. Since you seem to be into cheap insults more than anything, I will back out of this conversation and wish you a pleasant evening.

Reactions: GermanSuplex