Redefining what a "sex" is

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rhonindk, Feb 23, 2017.

Tags:
?

Is Transgender forcing the redefinition of male and female?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2017.
  1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    19.6%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    67.9%
  3. I don't know

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

This could be a it of a flammable topic.
    Was reading a couple of articles and then saw a segment on Tucker on the very topic.
    We all used to know what was a male and what was a female. Society has a lot of rules, ethics, laws, restrooms and other physical aspects that go along in alignment to how we define what is male and what is female.
    Along comes transgender. Now the rules have changed? Where is the scientific evidence?

We have the redefining view: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/01/explore-gender-glossary-terminology/
    We have the redefining aspect: https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-d93e-Redefining-women-not-an-easy-debate-1#.WK_BIBiZNbU
    Then we have the Obama Bathroom redefining it via law : https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...79b4501e8a6_story.html?utm_term=.38e1d982b1b5
    Then we have Trump reversing that definition: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ransgender-bathroom-guidance-for-schools.html

So I ask, is Transgender forcibly redefining what is a man and a woman?

2. Meister, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

Meister Suspended

Meister

This bathroom discussion is some major neurotic nonsense.
    Crazy people problems.

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Yes all the crazy worrying about who uses what bathroom.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

There is nothing new about sexuality just how we accept or not accept it. It all used to be hidden but still there.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

I agree with you.
    I have to mark this day in my calendar.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

7. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Scientific evidence for what? Transgendered people always existed. What changed are their civil rights.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I always knew there were more options than the binary, even at my most right wing/conservative. You always had (as I grew up with) hermaphrodites, and then I learn there were some that opted out my removing their genitals.

(after re reading the exact wording of the poll) I voted "no" because I have always been aware sex isn't strictly binary. And many confuse the words sex and gender, too.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You write that, thus implying that this is a "new" thing.

Transgender has always been there. It is as old as humankind.

What has changed is ordinary people's awareness of the issue. In other words, the way our society communicates eg. Social media, has brought it out into the open, so to speak. And that can only be a very good thing.

To answer your question, no, I don't think it is redefining anything. It is about defining an alternative.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Remember the Disney movie Mulan about the girl who pretends to be a boy to fight in her father's place in the War? Or the Robbin Williams classic Mrs. Doubtfire?

I swear if those movies were made today we'd have a ton of complaining from some people about how these children's movies are perpetuating transgender ideologies and forcing them into our children's brains.

I'm not transgender so these issues don't really affect me. We're talking about a fraction of a percent of the population. Somehow in my lifetime I've had a conflict transgender people.

Even working in mental health I come across a lot of transgender people, which still is very small number of people. I'm not hip on the new age gender lingo but I have no problem calling the person whatever they want to be called.

The only place I see this whole transgender issue having a problem is when it comes to public school bathrooms.

11. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

gender identity should remain a biological or physical thing. it's stupid crazy talk to all of sudden permit someone to "choose" or notify the world they are whatever sex they want to be.

12. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

"Male" and "female" should be replaced with "She-Ra" and "Manimal".

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

I tried to figure out where this bathroom nonsense started and it seems in 2010 folks tried to ban some student from the bathroom he wanted to use.

Before that there has never been any issue with this.

Just let them pee where they want.

There are so few of these transgender people, it's not worth anybodies time or effort.

14. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

To me the problem is American Women are throwing a fit when a bearded man, with a beard, walks into the women's bathroom just wearing a dress.

15. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Ummm. Yeah. So, I hate to be brash but I thought if you had a penis then you were a male and if you had a vagina you were a female. Right? Oh wait....its 2017. Nevermind. Guess its just whatever people think, just do it. Why even bother havng anything seperate at all? Can I go hang around in the womens dressing room then? I feel "girly" today.

And dont say thats not the same thing. It sure the hell IS the same thing. I cannot believe this is even a discussion. What a complete joke.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

Sex/gender is readily appearant at birth.

But if they want to live like the opposite sex then let them.
    Who cares?

We have the potus and congress.
    Let's not get into this "social issues" insanity.

17. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

18. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Who are you, and what have you done with Meister? He never makes this much sense.

I blame it on architects who want to use stalls instead of cabinets. One restroom for all. Who cares what happens behind closed doors.

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Who cares? Oh, I dunno.. maybe people with daughters that dont want weirdos hanging around in their locker rooms, dressing rooms, and bathrooms? Just a wild guess and hunch. So what you're saying is that we just have a free-for-all gender-wise. Do I get the play a female then and benefit from the affirmative action and all of that stuff? Can I go to a gynecologist just because I feel like it that day? If they refuse me do I sue? protest?

I cannot believe this is where we are at. wow.

20. oldmacs macrumors 68040

It isn't the same thing. But yeah you apparently know more than those who actually have studied these issues.

It's obvious that you don't want to understand it, so get over yourself.

21. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

What the **** are you talking about?

If anything, this is about forcing questions on people about their genitals before they are allowed to use the bathroom. None of your business.

Guess what? People engage in sexual assault are committing felonies. Do you really think they care what gender is marked on the door sign of a bathroom?

22. BoneDaddy, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017

BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Yes, sex IS strictly binary. If someone is born with both genitalia, it is a deformity and not natural. It is a medical condition. It does not create a new sex.

bi·na·ry
    ˈbīnərē,ˈbīˌnərē/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      relating to, composed of, or involving two things.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sex
    seks/
    noun

either of the two main categories (male and female) into which humans and many other living things are divided on the basis of their reproductive functions.

gen·der
    ˈjendər/
    noun
    1. 1.
      the state of being male or female
    synonyms: sex

syn·o·nym
    ˈsinəˌnim/
    noun
    1. a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language, for example shut is a synonym of close.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To say, "I have always been aware", is to say that you "know"...

a·ware
    əˈwer/
    adjective
    1. having knowledge or perception of a situation or fact.

...something. Instead, you are factually wrong on the matter. So the correct phrasing, would be "I have always thought...".

I didn't create the words, nor did I create the definitions to the words, and therefore did not make up these facts. Verbally or scientifically, these are the facts. To condone the changing of definitions and facts, to fit a delusional narrative, is to subliminally admit one's disregard for reality.

Anyone has the right to make up their own version of reality, or to willingly alter, deny, and reject their perception of it. However, NOBODY has the right to force others to alter reality, or facts.

Wether one believes in creation, or evolution, or a compromise between both; There are factually and ONLY two genders/sex. Man, and woman. Anything that happens in the mind, is nothing more than an individual's struggle with the fact that they are one of the two. I sympathize with them and wish anyone who has that problem, to find peace, and be well. But although modern medical science can change the APPEARANCE of one's genitals, it does nothing for the reproductive nature of the organs.

Furthermore...

trans·gen·der
    transˈjendər,tranzˈjendər/
    adjective
    1. denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex.

trans·sex·u·al
    tran(t)(s)ˈsekSH(o͞o)əl/
    noun
    1. 1.
      a person who emotionally and psychologically feels that they belong to the opposite sex.
    synonyms: hermaphrodite, transgendered person

23. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

That's not at all accurate. Just because you found one dictionary that defines it that way doesn't make it so. An overwhelming number of psychologists, anthropologists, and sociologists disagree with the definition you posted here. But hey, you know better, right?

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Please, what the **** does the ability to go to the bathroom have to do with "hanging around in locker rooms, dressing rooms, and bathrooms?"

Nothing, you're using a tired inflammatory talking point. Who "hangs around" bathrooms?

25. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

I didn't find "one" dictionary, and there is no such thing as any REAL dictionaries having interpretations of words. Your post dictates that interpretations of words, into whatever definition one agrees with, is ok. That is wrong.

When it becomes acceptable to "disagree" with definitions, language becomes a belief system, instead of a form of communication that holds to strict laws that govern it's usefulness.

I don't know better. If you read the post, you will see that I admit and acknowledge that I did not create any of those facts. Your argument about politically correct scholars wishing to interpret definitions in their own way, is invalid, due to the fact that words have definitions that are not up for interpretation. It is also negated by the countless of NON politically correct scholars, who do NOT try and change definitions to suit their made up reality.

I understand if you want to alter facts to better suit your perception of reality. That is your personal right. Again, you cannot force ME to discount facts and change definitions.