Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today revealed an all-new and redesigned Apple TV app and a new "Apple TV Channels" feature. The new app is an updated version of the existing TV app, which brings together shows, movies, sports, news, and more in one hub, available on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and later this year on Mac and smart TVs.

apple-tv-app-redesign.jpg

The new TV app has a new "For You" section that recommends TV shows just for you, based on what you watch. The app will offer suggestions for shows and movies from over 150 streaming apps, like Hulu, Amazon Prime, DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue, and more.

Apple TV Channels represent new subscription services that you can sign up for in the TV app, paying only for those that you want. These include CBS All Access, Starz, Showtime, HBO, Nickelodeon, Mubi, The History Channel Vault, Comedy Central Now, and more.

Users will be able to subscribe to Apple TV channels à la carte within the TV app and then watch them there, without having to jump between apps, sign into a new account, or enter another password.

The Apple TV app will also be available on the Mac this fall, and on select smart TVs like Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio. It'll also be available on Roku and Amazon devices.

The redesigned Apple TV app will launch on iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV in May.

Article Link: Apple Reveals Redesigned Apple TV App With 'Apple TV Channels' Subscription Feature

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I saw Vue and Directv being mentioned. Does this mean we’ll be able to watch their streams directly in the TV app without having to switch?

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
So how did YouTube, Sling, Hulu and many others do it?
Hulu is entirely owned by the companies who also own most of the TV channels that make up its live service (Disney/Fox 60% - Comcast 30% - AT&T 10%).

DirecTV NOW is owned by AT&T, which recently acquired WarnerMedia, which controls channels like TBS, TNT, HBO, and CNN.

Not sure about Sling or YouTube, but Sling was practically first-to-market with its service, so I'm sure that gave them an advantage. It will be interesting to see if any channels are dropped from Sling or YouTube TV as contracts expire.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
The big news to me is that they are coming to smart TVs. I have an LG, and there are a few apps I wish WebOS had so I could avoid having secondary boxes just to use the services I choose (and the extra sets of controllers needed). Here’s looking at you NBC Sports.

Reactions: Aldaris and Gasu E.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I saw Vue and Directv being mentioned. Does this mean we’ll be able to watch their streams directly in the TV app without having to switch?

That's my question, too. I hope so.

Apart from HBO, Starz and Showtime, this is a pathetic channel line up. Not switching from my YouTube TV any time soon.
[doublepost=1553537148][/doublepost]

So how did YouTube, Sling, Hulu and many others do it?

They aren't offering channels a la carte, either; companies like YouTube and DirecTV now are offering a pretty much standard cable bundle, which pays networks for whole groups of channels. You can't get ESPN without paying for three different Disney channels, etc. Apple could provide a bundle like that, but they've been trying for year to 'change TV' by moving to a subscription model that will allow people to pay only for the channels they use, but the major players are unwilling to give up the negotiating advantage they get by bundling must-have channels with who-cares channels.

Reactions: boston04and07

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Cable killer if you have access to truly choose the stations you want. If it’s just the ones you can already subscribe to then yawn.

The only way to “kill cable” is to follow Netflix...... Original Content.

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007
Cable killer if you have access to truly choose the stations you want. If it’s just the ones you can already subscribe to then yawn.
Complain to the content providers. Nothing any other service can do except offer what the content providers agree to. Unless it is Apple created stuff, that is the only choice.

Same story as always.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.