Redesigned Macbook 12” in 2019?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KensaiMage, Dec 6, 2017.

1. KensaiMage macrumors member

KensaiMage

How probable is that? I guess it will come with lpddr4 & 4-core low power processor

2. ZapNZs, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Does Intel or AMD have anything in the road map for quad core options that are efficient enough for the MacBook's tiny battery, and will run cool enough to where it's not just adding more CPU but getting virtually no real-world gains due to thermal throttling?

I think there is a possible chance we could see the MacBook featuring its own in-house designed ARM SoC by 2019...well let's say if not by 2020-2021 (potentially using a coprocessor design, depending on what new features Apple may want to bring to the rMB). Such an architecture shift would be a huge undertaking, but I think it is something Apple can do. Further, the six core design of the A11 Bionic is demonstrating incredible power considering the efficiency...the multicore performance of the A11 Bionic is ridiculous! Having higher efficiency and higher power cores on a system like the MacBook makes a lot of sense to me, with my limited understanding of architectures.

3. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I keep on thinking rMB would be the perfect computer (this and Mini) to introduce ARM processors. And whatever redesign is coming I hope it focuses on making the keyboard resistant to existence of dust. I would like to update my 2016 m5 but only when the keyboard is fixed, until then I'm good.

(Is this a good spot to ask what happened to "what to expect in third revision of rMB" thread?)

4. EugW macrumors 68020

EugW

I highly doubt it.

My guess is they will stick with 2-core 4-threads, but with higher clocks.

5. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Redesigned, how? I think the shape of the 12” is pretty much perfect (for now) and probably good for a few more years. But a few. Improvements I would like to see.

1) I would like to see a touch bar, and my dream for a long time has been to see an OLED screen on each key that can be customised.

2) Also if they could further reduce the bezels and squeeze a 13” display in the same form factor that would be awesome.

3) Face ID!

6. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

There will likely be a new body at the next update. The next gen CPU will be the 10 nm CannonLake which, as a process change, will allow much lower power consumption which will allow faster processors and/or longer batterylife. Knowing Apple, they will use this to cut down on battery capacity to give a thinner/lighter laptop... There will likely be a noticable performance improvement, but sadly the rMBP will pull away even while it remains on the 14 nm process as it is going quad core while the MacBook will remain dual core.

7. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

I really don't think there will be a redesign after just 3 years (2015 - 2018). The 12" MB was a radical redesign. Can it seriously get any thinner/lighter than it currently is without sacrificing durability? Heck, my MB almost has some flex to it due to the thinness; not in a faulty way, but by way of design.

8. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I think it will be 2019 until there is a refresh as CannonLake keeps getting pushed back. so it will be 4 years - same as the first aluminium unibody to retina (2008-2012) and the retina to touchbar (2012-2016). Also, I'm sure people said "Can it seriously get any thinner/lighter than it currently is without sacrificing durability?" after the first retina in 2012 and look where we are now!

9. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

I suspected you may say that about the point about it getting thinner. Wonder where we draw the line with thinness.

I’m always up for new tech and designs (although Just dropped £150 for the leather sleeve for my MacBook so hoping a redesign doesn’t come too soon!).

Interestingly, the MBA design has persisted for 7 years now.

10. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I think the MBA is the equivalent of the old 2012 cMBP - kept around for years as the cheap machine getting less and less relevant.