Redirecting Music, Pictures and Movies folders

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Lycanthrope, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

Hi All

Like a lot of MP owners I keep my data separate from my system disk. One thing I haven't yet discovered how to do is to reprogram the icons in the finder window to the new locations. For instance, all my MP3's are on a disk Data II but when I click on the Music icon in finder it goes to the default location on the boot disk Macintosh HD

Stupid question I know... Cheers

2. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

simply create/move the folder to the new disk and make an alias to the new folder in the original location

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

To create a shortcut of any folder in the sidebar of finder, just drag the folder to the sidebar.

4. Lycanthrope thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

Thanks for the answers chaps, I was hoping there was a simple system option somewhere rather than having to muck about with aliases and stuff. Seems like a omission on Apple's part to me.

Cheers

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Mate, dragging a folder to the sidebar in Finder is probably the easiest solution possible.

6. lcruisader macrumors newbie

I'm working in the user profile folder. I want to relocate the folders: picture and documents folders. I want those 2 folders to originate else where (could be a file share or disk volume, etc). I can copy the 2 folders to the new location, but I cannot delete the original to place an alias in its place - I get an error "Pictures cannot be modified or deleted because it is required by Mac os X"

Any Ideas?

7. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

Using leopard? I noticed the same thing.

8. lcruisader macrumors newbie

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Use the Terminal to do it. It allows you to do anything (and thus should be used with caution).

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You can redirect your entire system folder in leopard in the systems prefs. But it has to be the entire thing not just a couple folders.

11. termina3 macrumors 65816

12. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I would have to say its not the easiest... simply copy the folders to the location go into system preferences point to the new location log out log in, delete originals.

13. termina3 macrumors 65816

That involves system preferences. The method I suggest doesn't work great for lots of files, but has served me well for my RAID setup.

14. pvr02 macrumors newbie

Using an alias would be great, except that isn't allowed anymore in Leopard.

Anyone know how to do this via the terminal?