"Reduce", an universal app to resize your images (and file size) for the web.

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Thyraz, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Thyraz macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just finished my new app called "Reduce". :)
    [​IMG]

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reduce/id580474806?l=de&ls=1&mt=8

It's on sale until the App Store holidays end.

The app is about resizing, limiting file size (auto-detects jpeg compression), sharpening, and watermark your pictures for the web.
    I'm a photographer who often travels with his iPad and missed a straight-forwarded app to "export" my images before uploading or sending them.

It can also add a simple border and remove the EXIF data (like gps position) if wanted.
    You can save presets for your favorite sites, like your blog or online communities, which might have different pixel-width or file-size limitations.

Here's what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any feedback is welcome. :)

2. Fedorov macrumors 6502

I'll certainly try this out - I was after an app to reduce the size of a logo at work a few weeks ago. What I found was the few apps that let me take a huge company logo down from 1500 pixels wide to 200-300 pixels wide just scaled the image down using standard resize routines so the smaller text within the logo was unreadable and pixelated.

If you look at the free XnView software on Windows as an example, the image resize dialog allows you to use a Lanczos resize algorithm which means when you shrink it still retains as much detail as possible without pixellation.

I resized using this which I saved at max jpeg quality which gave me a 30k file size for using in email signatures - I then used the awesome jpegmini website which reduced filesize down to 19k without loss of visible quality.

How much of this can I achieve with your new app? An app specifically made for "reducing" images needs a Lanczos or similar good algorithm to reduce at highest quality and then also apply some clever jpegmini filesize reduction.

I'll take a look :)

3. Fedorov macrumors 6502

App looks good!

Be nice if on the preview you showed below the original image dimensions & file size and also the "reduced" figures too.

Double-tap on preview, instead of zooming, split the preview in half, zoom in and show the original in left pane, reduced in right pane so you can more easily do a side-by-side comparison?

Just a suggestion :)
    Thanks

4. Thyraz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Fedorov,

thank you for your feedback. :)

Reduce isn't using Lanczos at the moment, as it was initially made with resizing photos in mind instead of design elements / logos.
    It's not that common there, compared to the resize-and-sharpen workflow.

But I might give it a try, could be a performance killer though...

Shrinking the file size is easy with Reduce, simply set the jpeg quality manually to the desired level.
    The preview should give you an idea about how far you can go without getting too much artifacts / quality loss.

A Original / Preview comparison is already on my todo list,
    but showing the image dimension and file size is a good idea. :)

5. Fedorov macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply - agree with that yes. Showing the image info for both would be very useful.

What are the settings I see in the settings app? I notice each time I use Reduce it leaves behind a "Reduce Export" photo album

Thanks, I'll be sure to leave a review on the AppStore

6. Thyraz thread starter macrumors newbie

In the Settings.app you can choose if you want to see events, albums or both.

Many Mac users who sync their photos through iPhoto, might have an album and an event for the same photos.

This is just because adding photos to iPhoto automatically adds a new event.
    If you now create a new album out of them, you will see both in Reduce.

It's the same like switching the tabs in the iOS photo app.

Some beta testers asked me for an option to hide the events cause of that.
    Same applies to the "All Imported" album, which shows ALL photos imported through the camera connection kit.

If you sort them in albums, you can hide that one too if you want.

About the export album:
    in iOS you can't save photos to a new album from your app.
    But you can save it to the camera roll and link it to an own album.

I thought this would be handy to quickly access the shrinked images e.g. in Safari to upload them to the web.

Maybe I add an option to the Settings.app for those who just want them to be saved in the camera roll.

7. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

8. Fedorov macrumors 6502

Yea the event/album options are a good idea as I use the camera connection kit myself.

I think in many apps I've seen it's always a good idea to have a separate album to export/save all those apps images into but all those apps also have an option to disable that functionality and save direct to camera roll.

I'd have quite a lot of app named albums in there if I couldn't turn them all off which thankfully I can so would appreciate the same option in Reduce please.

Left 5-star review :)

9. Thyraz thread starter macrumors newbie

@macjram thank you. :)

@Fedorov thank you too for your review.
    I added the option for the save-to-own-album to my todo list. ;)

10. Thyraz thread starter macrumors newbie

Version 1.0.1 is no in the store and fixes some small bugs. :)