Reduced iPhone 4s battery life increasing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Raima, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Raima macrumors 6502

Sorry if the topic sounds a little confusing.

I'm aware the iPhone 4s has less battery life than the iPhone 4 due to the dual core processor, but recently I've noticed the battery life seems to be dying.

On a average 30 min trip, I noticed yesterday my phone dropped by around 20% while using it.

Today on the same trip with the phone off, I noticed the usage dropped by 15% with the phone in standby mode.

I've closed down as many apps as possible, but this seems to be excessive.

I had thought I charged my phone last night to 51% at around 11:30pm last night, when I woke up this morning at 7:45am the phone was completely out of battery. I'm not 100% sure on the battery charge last night, but it does seem unusal.

Has anyone else experienced simular situations?

I'm thinking of taking in my iPhone to the genius bar to possibly get it replaced. I got the phone the week after it was released in Australia which was the same time of the US release.

2. Balibalistic macrumors regular

For the last several months my phone has had amazing battery life. Generally be at 80% when I went to bed. Now the last few days my battery life is horrid. Will not last a full day, even with almost no use.... Wtf is going on??

3. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I have also noticed a serious decrease in batery life in the last few days. So yesterday and today I have turned off the "3G" in settings and my battery is at 64% after 35 hours.

4. kre62 macrumors 68000

Will throw my hat in the ring for reduced life over the past week on both my work and personal 4S. Not sure what the deal is.

5. Raima thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for everyones responses

So you only use wifi for mobile data? I need 3G to receive emails and stuff on the go.

I'm a bit concerned if we're having battery life issues in the iPhone 4s. I can only imagine the next iPhone will only be more power hungry, especially if it's rumored to have quad core processing and a larger screen.

6. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I'm just curious how long it will last with no 3G. I set up my email accounts to forward wmail to my work account during this time.

7. Balibalistic macrumors regular

Lets hope this issue resolves itself because this is absolutely unacceptable to me. Man I loved this phone a week ago. I want my phone back.:confused:

8. sparky1499 macrumors regular

sparky1499

My battery life has been terrible too.

For instance, on a short bus journey, perhaps 20 minutes or so I will check my RSS feeds on Reeder and throw a few to Readability. I'll then use Readability to read them. Then i may check Twitter.

My battery will drop to maybe 85-88%

That, in my eyes is unacceptable. I'll be updating to iOS 5.1(by restoring as new) and if it doesn't improve the handset is going back.

9. mvp400 macrumors newbie

iPhone: Bad Battery Batch

I've had the iPhone 4S (AT&T) since it's launch day and have never had any battery life issues through iOS 5.0.1. I have not upgraded to iOS 5.1 yet but don't anticipate any issues.

I would consider myself a "medium" user:
    - 1-2 hours of talk time a day
    - Activating screen every hour to check mail or use other apps for 2-3 mins
    - Always set screen at medium to medium high brightness
    - Always have location services set to on
    - Use as iPod at the gym for 1-2 hours a day
    - Always bluetooth enabled
    - Notification on
    - Have about 25-30 apps installed
    - Do not really "game" much on it, but somtimes

After a normal day of these activities I've rarely seen my percentage drop below 70-80%, and it's usually in the 90% if I skip the gym that night or have made less phone calls.

I maintain this issue is NOT software related but rather a bad batch of batteries that a certain run of unfortunate iPhones received.

Stop chasing software fixes and demand Apple replace your phones ASAP.

10. Coley macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Have you upgraded to iOS 5.1? I have read a few forums and talked to a few people. Generally if the update doesn't significantly help your battery life, it's been a hardware issue and they've replaced the phone at genius bar. I updated and I am getting an incredible improvement in usage time both on wifi and 3G usage. I am pretty surprised.... It's definitely worth it to try the update. I never thought my phone had any real issues with battery life before either. I am getting at least an extra 4-6 hours of usage now, of normal use for me which is wifi at home and 3G while out an while at work. Standby time is also improved, less drop in battery overnight, etc.

11. mrshakeyhandman macrumors newbie

I've had my phone replaced 3 times by Apple and still the battery life is piss poor. When I got up this morn and took it off charge it dropped by 4% in 20 mins. I checked Facebook for a min and that was it in that time. So tired of this. I would rather have my iPhone 4 back. Now I'm stuck in an 18 Month contract whereas my iPhone 4 was sim free :mad:

12. Coley macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Maybe it has something to do with your location? Probably not, but I have heard if your reception is low and your phone is constantly searching or switching towers it can mess with the battery. I know my old phone died faster when I stayed at my dads place and if I called home from one side of the house it was a local call, if I called from the other, I'd get charged long distance lol. And it wasn't THAT big of a house :p
    Im sorry to hear you have had such crappy luck so far. I hope something can finally be done that will work out in your favor.