Reformatted my PC, now trying to transfer files from my iphone onto iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Reminisce32, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

basically, i reformatted my PC and upgraded from vista to windows 7 so I had to reinstall itunes fresh, so itunes is empty even though i synced my iphone to it.. i still have all my files on the iphone but it wont sync back to iTunes... I tried adding some new MP3's via click & drag into a newly created playlist in iTunes and synced it again and no changes took effect on the iphone... so now i cant even add mp3's to my iphone. idk what to do and id hate to use the restore feature because i don't want to lose my notes or aps that i got while they were free and now cost (i.e. midomi). ps. my phone is not jailbroken.

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Try SharePod, it works great in Vista for retrieving music and photos best of all it will rename the music files and create album folders based on the tags rather than the random names that iTunes uses and it's free, not sure if it is compatible with Windows 7 though.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If sharepod doesn't work in Windows 7, there are a number of other free programs you can use. So, post here if you need to know more.

As far as your apps go, to get your apps in iTunes just click transfer purchases under the iPhone in the left pane of iTunes. For notes, all you have to do is first backup your phone, and then restore and when it asks, restore from the backup you just made. This will transfer everything to your phone, except for the apps, music, and photos (your camera roll will be transferred from the restore from backup). To get the apps, music and photos, all you need to do is sync. This would be a good time to also sync contacts, notes, etc. to the appropriate programs on your computer.

4. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

It works for music/pictures but not for apps/notes.

I just noticed that if I click the little triangle next to my iPhone in iTunes it shows all my old playlists there.. but all the files in them are grayed out, and if u notice in this screen-shot that below all that shows the Play Lists section.. but its empty due to the new install but it wont let me move the files under "devices" to under "playlists"

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Did you even read my post???

6. Reminisce32 thread starter macrumors regular

Reminisce32

I did, but after I posted my previous response since I was in the middle of typing it out while you posted yours. Are there any programs that can pull my contacts off my iphone? I'm on windows 7 so there isn't any "windows address book" to merge/sync with my iphone to backup my contacts.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The backup will get your contacts. Then you can sync to Windows Contacts (they changed the name from Windows Address Book....why they can't leave things the same is beyond me) or Outlook (which is much better, since it stores more info....like pics of contacts). To be safe, you can get Funambol, a free app, which has a 90 trial (but still costs no money...you just need to participate in developing the app) and you can load your contacts online. You should sync with Funambol before you do the restore, of course. Make sure you do a one-way sync (from phone to server).

8. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Also for the apps to transfer you will need to be logged into the iTunes account they were purchased from and also Authorize (Under the Store Menu Tab) your PC for that account.