Reformatting computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Dec 27, 2011.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What's the best way to back up my iTunes music and everything

2. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Just copy it to an external hard drive. How big is your iTunes folder? Is it all consolidated into one folder?

unauthorize that computer on iTunes after copying your itunes folder over though.

3. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

An extant hard drive perhaps. I have all my iTunes stuff on mine. If I ever need to get a new pc (or hopefully a mac) everything will still be there..

Or, if you have everything you want to save on your device...reformat, load iTunes, and connect device, save purchases etc from device and good to go.

4. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

This route only works for purchased music. If you ripped CDs or downloaded music from places other than iTunes, you have to back up the iTunes folder before reformatting the computer.

5. Munchkinsdad macrumors regular

Munchkinsdad

That's right. My iTunes folder is on the external hard drive. Most of my music and videos were not purchased on iTunes. And anything that goes through iTunes is backed up automatically to my ext HD.