Refurb 15" MBP vs New 13" MBA for Small Business

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jon123, Jun 25, 2012.

1. jon123 macrumors newbie

I'm looking at buying a new laptop for my small business and trying to decide between a refurbished 15" MBP or new 13" MBA. Right now I'm using a 14.1" Thinkpad, core i5, 4GB RAM, with a resolution of 1440x900 and it weights about 4lbs. I love the machine, but I miss OS X. Right now I use it without an external monitor, although I plan on getting one.

Main things it would be used for are: Web browsing / research , web design / coding, Office, Quickbooks, Running Linux & Windows VMs, doing UNIXy things, and perhaps a little light gaming on the off hours. I don't really see myself needing much graphics horsepower, at least right now. I do tend to use several windows at a time, usually 4-8 (stacked, not side-by-side) on the main virtual desktop, and maybe 3 or so on other desktops when I need to.

If I got the Macbook Pro, I would probably max out the RAM, and maybe put in a SSD. I would definitely need one with an anti-glare screen, the Macbook Pro glossy + glass is way too reflective for me.
    • Pros: More upgradeable, integrated Ethernet and optical drive (although optical really isn't needed), more screen real estate for working without external screen.
    • Cons: heaver and bigger than what I have right now.

On the other hand, I could get a new MBA 13", with 256 SSD and max out the ram. I'm concerned about the size of the screen, 13.3" vs the 14.1" that I have now. Its the same resolution that I have now, but I'm just concerned it would be too small. I will be taking this to client's offices, so portability is good,but not an overwhelming factor.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
    Thanks!

2. ethereal45, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

ethereal45 macrumors regular

I have the rMBP in hand, but I'm debating exchanging it for the air. Either machine is going to have plenty of power for your needs, so get which ever one you feel like you like the form factor of more. The retina display is nice, but it sounds like you're going to be running mostly non-optimized apps. They look like crap to me, personally.

Edit: sorry I missed that you were looking at refurb MBP. I'd go with the Air. No brainer.