Refurb iMac 27ich > £2,000

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Supertaff, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Supertaff macrumors member

Hi All,

This is a strange request but has anyone seen recently an iMac 27inch priced at just over £2,000?

I want a top of the range iMac, and last time bought an iMac and my Mac Book Pro 17 from the refurb store with a good discount.

Ok, you are saying, why spend over £2,000. Well it's down to VAT and the fact I run a company that is on fixed rate VAT. If I was to buy the current top spec iMac on the reburb store at £1,849 then that is what I would have to pay for it from my company. If though there was one say at £2,049 with a better spec, the fact that it is over £2k means I can claim the VAT back, that is 20% = £400ish and therefore the £2,049 iMac would only cost just over £1,600.

I've been looking quite often and haven't seen any :-(

Would love a 27inch + 16GB Ram + 512GB or 1TB SSD as a refurb as that should push the price over £2k.

Cheers

Taff

2. Rover110 macrumors newbie

Item cost or overall invoice?

Is it the cost of the iMac itself or the overall invoice value that needs to be over £2000?

I'm not on fixed-rate VAT so I don't know how that works.

A refurb iMac will probably come with a magic mouse.
    You might also need a trackpad to go with it and then there's applecare as well.
    Maybe some external storage because it would be a disaster if the internal drive went down taking all your business data (although I imagine Apple are not the cheapest here).
    Order the whole lot from Apple store and it can all be on the same invoice.

- Rover

3. Supertaff thread starter macrumors member

Hi Rover,

Thanks for the feedback,

Unfortunately to qualify it has to be a single item. I looked into it before with my accountant when I was buying my Mac Pro :-( otherwise yes I would just add some software / hardware/ apple care on to get it over the £2k limit.

Taff

4. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Supertaff, Is there any reason why it needs to be refurbished? and how much is a little over £100? £200? or too much?

5. Supertaff thread starter macrumors member

Hi Kyle,

Nope, not as such, I could just buy a new iMac as per the spec I want. But I like getting value for money :) So if I can pick up a iMac with already 15% or 20% off and then take another 20% off in terms of VAT, I'm on a winner.

I did spec up a new iMac 27, with upgraded CPU (i7) memory (16gb), SSD (512GB) and gfx card (780m) and it came out at £2,479 which after VAT refund is £1983. Tempting though.

Having bought my last iMac and Mac Pro via the Refurb store I know how good value for money they are.

Taff

6. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

Unfortunately, Getting what you require from the refurbished store will be once in a blue moon as it needs someone to return the specs you want or it show up dead on arrival.

Does happen from time to time, but you may need to wait it out.

Just did that myself and tried a few other specifications, to see what was available for just over £2000.

Also in most cases it works out cheaper to just get the stock memory RAM can figuration, it's easy to do in 27 inch models yourself most third parties will charge what apple charges for 16 GB for the 32GB kit.

So you might want to do the maths to see if it's worthwhile doing this upgrade outside your tax exemption deal.

Note: RAM in the 2012-2013 models are only user upgradable in 27 inch models.

Would agree it's one of the best unknown ways to save money with apple purchases.

7. antipodean macrumors member

Refurb tracker stats show it does happen. There's one at £2099 that had a 512GB SSD. I'm posting from a phone , so can't link. Search for refurb tracker and stats to find previous models for the last 18 months with prices.

I remember following it for a few weeks before buying my fully loaded imac (1TB SSD, i7, 780M). Sod's law nothing came up until after I'd ordered mine new. Sill, I couldn't be happier with the machine I got. Only thing I left off was the RAM upgrade, which I did from Crucial (to 32GB).

Good luck Taff. If you decide to buy new, my advice is don't keep looking at the refurb store for what might have been...

8. Supertaff thread starter macrumors member

Hi Antipodean,

Thanks for that, I wasn't aware of the Refurb tracker.

I'm in a fortunate position that I have a good iMac already so don't need to replace it soon so I can keep on watching the site until one appears.

I'm hopeful that post the Yosemite upgrade that a number of old machines will go up for sale on the Refurb site as I think Apple retail stores don't upgrade their iMacs but replace them with new ones, so it could be that a lot of store iMacs come into the refurb channel for sale.

Cheers for all the help.

Taff

9. Kyle-K macrumors regular

Kyle-K

+1 Looks awesome, bookmarked for future use.

10. antipodean macrumors member

Yes, refurb tracker is great. I bought a 13" rMBP 8GB/500GB SSD for £200 off a couple of weeks ago. Stock turnover of the portables seems to be a bit higher than the desktops, especially stock configs. Good luck with your hunting.