Refurb iPhone broke after 3 months, what are my rights? (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by henry.oswald, Jan 6, 2010.

1. henry.oswald macrumors member

My first iPhone broke after about 10 months, took it into the genius bar and they swapped it for a refurbished one, they told me at the time this one has 3 months warranty included on it, now 3 months later this one has broken! (ran out new years eve). Looking up my rights I came across this

"If there is an obvious fault with the item at any time within the first 6 months and it has not been caused by wear and tear or misuse"

What do you guys think my chances are at getting an exchange?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. DisneySMAX macrumors member

In the UK there is no such thing as a 12 month guarantee. We have the "Sales of Goods Act" which states that a product must have a reasonable life.

You say you had it replaced after ten months and now 3 months later (13 months) it has failed.

You have rights under the SOGA and the retailer has to sort the problem. It is not up to the manufacturer as the contract is with the retailer that sold it to you. That might be the apple store or it might be 02.

I have used the SOGA successfully in getting John Lewis to repair an item after it failed at 18 months even though they wanted to charge me as the guarantee ran out at 12 months.

4. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

if you don't get your way whinge, throw a tantrum or your toys out your pram!!

personally i believe that apple should extend the warranty on the new iphone by 12 months not an extra week or month from the day it was replaced...total farce!!

5. henry.oswald thread starter macrumors member

well after initially being told it would cost £129 we pushed a little with our consumer rights and the manager exchanged it. so great news!