refurb MBP 2.3GHz dual-core i5 vs. refurb iMac 3.06GHz dual-core i3 ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by navigator4, May 13, 2011.

1. navigator4 macrumors newbie

Just wanted to get some second opinions...

I'm considering buying one of these from :apple: refurbished, not sure which:

MBP 2.3GHz dual-core i5 -- £850 ($1380)

iMac 3.06GHz dual-core i3 -- £820 ($1330)

It is going to be used only for music recording/production purposes, using ILife 11 GarageBand - mainly working with real not software instruments. I will be recording and saving from an external FW800 drive.

If I get the MBP I will be upgrading it to a 500GB 7200rpm HD (same as the iMac), and whichever I get I will upgrade to 8GB RAM.

I need to be able to occasionally move the computer a few metres to lock it in a secure room when not using it, so for this reason the easier portability of the MBP would be convenient but is not essential.

The main question I am looking for some kind of answer to is whether there would be much difference at all for music production, in terms of speed/performance/latency/reliability between the two models? On paper the only real difference would be 2.3 i5 versus 3.06 i3 processors... I suspect the 3.06 i3 is a better processor but how much better is it?

Also I am thinking the MBP might be more DIY upgradeable than the iMac so a better choice as a long-term investment.

Any advice or thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

i5 support Hyper-Threading which helps with Logic. Due to that, the i5 might be slightly faster than the i3, making the MBP a better buy.