Refurb MBP 2.8GHz 15.4" vs New MBP 2.66 GHz 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by the_fellowship, Jun 7, 2009.

1. the_fellowship macrumors regular

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but wanted opinions on the above?

I'm torn between a refurb MPB 2.8GHz 15.4" and the new MPB 2.66 GHz 15". They are both within my budget so it's just a matter of deciding which to get.

My main machine is an iMac 2.8 GHz 24" which is used for video editing etc so the MPB will mainly be used on the move for some graphic design/development and general everyday activities (web, email etc). May also run VMWare Fusion on it too.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and opinions :)

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I would get the 2.66 because it's new, and can support (unofficially ATM) 8GB of RAM (a bit more future-proof I suppose). The extra .14GHz of processing power you will get out of the other machine is negligible.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Go for the 2.66GHz model. It can unofficially support 8GB of RAM whereas the 2.8GHz model is limited to 6GB. RAM prices should eventually fall to reasonable enough levels where 8GB is affordable, and it will be nice to have that capability.

4. eeperman macrumors newbie

I posted the exact same question on Notebook Review:

HERE

I eventually decided to go for the 2.8GHz refurb model which was a bit cheaper than the new 2.66GHz. I know the speed bump won't be that noticeable, but at least I will know it is faster! By the time 8Gb of RAM is desirable I think I will be getting a new laptop anyway. Also I plan to do a bit of gaming in Boot Camp using Windows XP - it won't recognise the extra RAM, but the speed boost will give me a few extra fps.

5. the_fellowship thread starter macrumors regular

Following the updates at the WWDC I am probably going to go for the new 2.66GHz MBP 15" now :)

6. eeperman macrumors newbie

Yup. The new 2.8GHz is just one hundred pounds more than the refurb so my refurb is headed straight back to Apple and a shiny new 2.8 is coming in it's place.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...