Refurb or new for £280 saving?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrMister111, Oct 28, 2012.

1. MrMister111, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

MrMister111 macrumors 68020

In a dilemma. I currently have a Alu 20" 2007 C2D 2GHz, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, mountain lion. There's nothing wrong with it, owned it from new, use it for iLife 11, iTunes,surfing, family use it for same, printing etc. No gaming, no intensive stuff really.

I was thinking of upgrading, just purely because I've had it a few years really. I have an iPad and other tablets in house so they are also used for surfing.

So there's a Refurb, for £820, last year model. Or the new one at £1099, £280 difference.

First question is this worth the saving?
    How much speed difference between?
    Obviously loose optical, not that bothered but the SD around the back is strange, I don't have a SD on my current but would use it a lot with my camera.

I'm thinking that I could sell my current iMac for £300 maybe so the upgrade would cost maybe £520 for the refurbished.

Anyone any thoughts? I'd prefer the refurb to have more than 500Gb, but that's all what's there at moment.

I could also use the HE uni discount for the new one, not sure how much that is though

Cheers

2. adit macrumors member

I am in the same situation as you and can't decide which option to go for.

The HE discount will be 12%. Thus the new mac will be approx £970 new.

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah ok thanks for that, which HE discount is that as there's various levels? Also with HE online you get 3 years applecare free, so that's about £130o also I think.

I'm not bothered about the thinness tbh, I haven't got a SD slot on mine at mo, and it would be handy, but for it to be on the back is awkward really. Whereas refurb is handy on the side.

I'm not sure on the speed difference between them, but if I get a new HE one, it's probably about the same refurb with applecare... Descions... Or do I keep my current one....

I wish the refurb had a bigger HDD though, it's only 500Gb the one currently, I'd like at least 1Tb.

So what's your thinking then?

4. Chuckstones macrumors regular

This is my first post on these forums so please go easy!:(

I too was in a bit of a dilemma. I had the 2011 imac 21.5 base model ordered from the UK online store 'VERY'. I placed the order on the 20th oct.
    a friend then notified me that there would be a new version announced on the 23rd. So immediately cancelled!

Well after watching the conference and taking note of the new specs. I was a little underwhelmed with the updated version. So having taken everything into account and weighing up the pros and cons. I decided to reorder from VERY!

To cut a long story short I know I am paying the full price as it is brand new and not refurbished. But I really wanted the optical drive and card slot on the side. And the RAM is fine for my needs. And on the 2011 version is upgrade able!
    Swings and roundabouts really. I will probably lose at most £150 if they are dropped in price or the apple store start selling refurbished. But the new one is £100 more and I would definitely want an optical drive!

I just hope that it does actually arrive!!
    My order is showing as processed. And given delivery date by the latest 1st nov. seeing as absolutely everywhere else had no stock. I rang VERY who assured me that I would get one. Strange how they pulled them off their site the day after I reordered though. Maybe everyone had the same idea and they just sold out!!

5. adit macrumors member

That is for the University student HE discount. I.e. with an NUS card.

You do not get full apple care online with student purchases but you get extended hardware cover.

I am still undecided myself. Nearly bought the old one yesterday then stopped. Don't know if I should wait till the new one launches or not.

Also I am not happy about the slower HD in the new one and the price hike. If I see a refurb below 820 will probably snap it up tbh.

6. Chuckstones macrumors regular

Refurbished 21.5 base models now up on apple UK site for £819 !!

7. adit macrumors member

Thanks. Meant if I see one like around £780ish will snap it up :D

8. Chuckstones macrumors regular

No worries. ;)

Also 1TB version up for £999.
    Very tempted to cancel my current order and go for one!
    Mind you. Being totally comp illiterate and having just checked my current 9 yr old pc to see how much ram and storage it has (100mb ram and 150 gb storage)
    I should be fine with base model!!:eek:

9. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

There was some for £820 base up on refurb, that's the 21", 500Gb. I was wanting a 1Tb HD really to try and keep my iPhoto library on an internal disk.

I've seen seen a 27" mid 2011 for sale for £1000, 2nd hand, but still got 1.5 years applecare on, I'm wondering about that...

Really undecided still on what to do. As I say tbh my trusty 2007 iMac still going strong, do I really need a new one? Also need to know how much I'd get for mine to offset the cost of this one.

10. Mic2904 macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same about refurbs, but after talking to the Misses we simply decided to go with a new Imac. You spend about a Grand anyway, so we have decided to go for a new one.

11. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68020

You do, but not sure on the new iMacs being as good, as a lot of discussions on here.

SD slot around the back, no upgradeable RAM, slower HDD (I wouldn't be able to afford upgrades).

In a lot of cases people are preferring the older one