Refurbished 15" Retina MBP: Feb. 2013 worth more than June 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Broadus, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Broadus, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

Broadus macrumors 6502a

I've owned PCs since 1988, but I'm looking at making the switch to a Mac. Having an iPhone and an iPad, I've really been impressed with the quality and function of Apple products. Also, my 2009 Lenovo ThinkPad T500 has two hairline cracks at each palmrest. Not awful but not good.

At any rate, I'm looking at refurbished 15" retina MBPs (my iPad 3 was refurbished and like new), and there are two that have caught my eye. Both have basically the same specs, but one is a June 2012 and the other is a February 2013[/URL].

I may be missing something, but the only difference between the two spec-wise that I see is that the June 2012 model has a 2.3 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) and the February 2013 model has a 2.4 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz). That seems negligible.

The price difference, though, is $270: $1599 for the June 2012 and $1869 for the February 2013.

Am I missing something important in thinking that that the June 2012 is the better buy? Was there anything about the February 2013 refresh that makes it worth $270? Was there anything wrong with the June 2012 that Apple improved or corrected with the February 2013 refresh?

Thanks much.

2. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

The main concern is the possibility of getting a 1st gen LG screen which will exhibit image retention (temporary, but annoying). I believe that as part of the full warranty included with refurbished models that Apple will replace the screen if you have this issue.

Aside from the obvious minor CPU spec bump I don't believe there's anything else to differentiate them. I've heard comments about cooling improvements in the 2013 models but can't find anything to substantiate this (they both have the intake ports which were new to the rMBP).

3. Kushp14 macrumors regular

The early 2013 were better overall.

4. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

How so? I would have thought so, but this is not something I've kept up with, so I'd appreciate your insight.

One thought that I had was to order the June 2012 model and use the difference of AppleCare. Any thoughts?

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

There is a return/exchange window, but I suspect they still use some LGs. LG panels are all over the place. They're generally unavoidable as they are in basically everything.

I'm curious about this too. Did they fix something that hasn't been mentioned?

6. Kushp14 macrumors regular

I also have the Feb 2013 2.4 model..
    I believe apple sorted all the bugs from the original release such as ghosting. If you search around, you will see most issues are from the first ( june 2012 release)..

Either way they will both be covered under apples 1 year warranty or 3 years applecare, so any issues will be fixed but I believe the 2013 is more bug free.

7. mattshort macrumors member

The only advantage (other than the 100mhz speed bump) I can think of is for resale. Depending on how long you keep your machines, it'll be easier to sell (and get a good price for) an "early 2013" than a "mid 2012... but I really bought it in September 2013, so it's not as old as you think it is".

8. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point. I never have resold a computer. I keep them for several years and then pass them along. This one may be different.

The more I think about it, the better $1599 (plus sales tax) sounds. That's a good $600 off a new one similarly configured.

Any additional insight or input is appreciated. Thanks for all thus far.

9. JH19059 macrumors newbie

I just purchased the 2012 model that you are looking at to replace my mid 2009 13in Macbook Pro. For the savings your getting ($600 vs a new one when you factor in taxes and almost $300 vs a "latest" refurb model") it was a no-brainer for me. The minor bump in CPU speed and newer screen doesn''t equal almost $300 for the 2013 model. The CPU bump you'll never notice and if the screen is ghosting just get it replaced under warranty. As far as resale value later on down the road, it will retain value. I personally don't look at resale value on things I buy, I buy what i need/want at the moment irregardless of potential resale value and enjoy it. I can't predict the future for the demand for a used Macbook in the future nor will I attempt to lol. Go ahead and buy it , it's a good deal. :cool:

10. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

You may have a point. I just came across this: New Model (Early 2013) Retina MacBook Pros use some upgraded internal parts.

A college prof friend of mine brought his 2012 rMBP by the office for me to check out this afternoon. He loves it, though he has noticed some minor ghosting. He's had it for a year and highly recommends it. We checked his screen and it is an LG.

Did you buy AppleCare for yours? I've never purchased an extended warranty on a computer, figuring that whatever bad may happen (as far as the components themselves go) will happen during the first year.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Overall it's the same thing. My Mid-2012 unit is still the beast it was on release day.

12. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

The deed is done

After more research than I really had time to give to it, I decided that the refurbished mid-2012 rMBP at $1599 is just too good a deal to turn down. It should be here next week.

Thanks for all the input.

13. Kushp14 macrumors regular

Be sure to get applecare !

14. JH19059 macrumors newbie

I just received mine today. It's awesome!! No scratches, marks etc.. It's perfect. I did buy Applecare for it. Only cost me $244. It's a good deal.

15. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

How did you get AppleCare for $244? I thought it was $349.

Congrats on getting a clean computer. Mine is to arrive on Monday.

16. JH19059 macrumors newbie

I'm a law enforcement officer. Got a government discount. Go to BH they sell it cheaper there.

17. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yup.. B&H are a VERY Legit Apple Seller and at $244 USD are pretty much THE cheapest source of Applecare for USA customers.. However us Canadians must endure the outrageous 'inflated pricing' as they do not ship up here.. BOO!! :D

18. tbolt11 macrumors member

I wonder if they are taking the 15.4" retina macbook pros that are returned for whatever reason (a lot because of ghosting) and replacing the screens with newer ones.

I keep looking at the $1599 retina as well because it is such a steal

19. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wasn't aware that AppleCare could be bought so deeply discounted. I wasn't going to spring for $349, but $244 makes it really tempting. The potential for image retention issues later makes AC really tempting. I never buy extended warranties and never have for a computer (I've owned them since the late 1980's), but I may buy it this time at this price.

My understanding is that the refurbished models would have been returned with the 14-day window allowed to return a new Apple product (iPhones have 30 days now, I think). If so, it can be lots of reasons--getting scared because of reading about the ghosting issues, deciding to go with a different MacBook or other computer, buyer's remorse, etc. It's my understanding that image retention often shows up later, but I may be wrong about that.