Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just after adding refurbished iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus models to its online store, Apple is now selling refurbished Apple TV 4K models for the first time in the United States. Apple TV 4K was released in September 2017.

apple-tv-4k-refurb-800x334.jpg

32GB and 64GB models are available for $149 and $169 respectively in the United States, reflecting modest savings of $30 off Apple's regular pricing for the equivalent brand new Apple TV 4K configurations. We've yet to see any refurbished Apple TV 4K models listed in other countries.

Apple says its refurbished products are thoroughly inspected, tested, cleaned, and repackaged with a new white box and accessories.

Refurbished Apple TVs are covered by Apple's standard one-year warranty effective on the date the device is delivered. The limited warranty can be extended to up to two years from the original purchase date with AppleCare for Apple TV for $29, but note this plan doesn't include accidental damage coverage.

Apple's refurbished products are virtually indistinguishable from brand new products, so they represent an opportunity for savings, but better Apple TV 4K deals are occasionally offered by resellers. Keep an eye on our Apple Deals roundup.

In addition to the iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and Apple TV 4K, Apple also began selling refurbished second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro models in January.

Update: Refurbished Apple TV 4K models are now available in the UK for £30 off, and in several other European countries for EUR30 off, such as Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Ireland. (Thanks, Sam and Holger!)

Article Link: Apple Now Selling Refurbished Apple TV 4K Models at $30 Discount [Updated]

BlandUsername

macrumors 6502
Yes, imagine the potential if they allocated a team and gave it the focus equivalent to what relatively tiny companies like Roku does with a fraction of the money in the bank. I'd love to see Apple do an "all in" on :apple:TV for a while. There is still so much potential in this little box.

How about they convince the carriers to be not so stingy on the bandwidth?

Reactions: mudflap

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
If I would buy a refurbished product, than I guess this would be my choice. No battery and mostly sitting on a desk, so this should be a safe bet besides being a great product.

Reactions: Wackery

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Nice!

Just bought a refurb 32GB 4k to replace my 4th Gen that's currently hooked up to my 4k TV upstairs (I have a 32GB 4k already on my 4k TV in the entertainment room).

We've been doing more TV watching upstairs lately and it's been bugging me that we're *only* getting 1080p on a 4k TV :)
[doublepost=1517600609][/doublepost]
Or $140 for a brand new one with 4-months of Directvnow included:

https://slickdeals.net/coupons/att-tv-now/

I did that deal - it was a great deal! Highly recommended! They shipped out the ATV 4k _really_ quickly.

DirectTV Now is just "ok"... but the deal is really good.

xkam1x

Cancelled
Dec 15, 2014
I smell an event in March/April with New Apple TV and MacBooks with iPad for seasoning.

blcamp

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Not a bad deal... I picked up a 4th Gen 64GB in November 2016 for $159. Tempting, but I will hold out for Spring to see whether a 4K 128GB model is released.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Or $140 for a brand new one with 4-months of Directvnow included:

https://slickdeals.net/coupons/att-tv-now/

Yes, great option if DirectTVNow is an option for someone, got my first ATV4K this way.

Not so great for a second or third ATV4K for other rooms or a vacation house. :)
[doublepost=1517601977][/doublepost]
Yeah why not. I bet they're completely indistinguishable from new.
I've never had an Apple Refurb that wasn't indistinguishable from new (other than the box it came in). Laptops, mini, ipads, etc. All flawless.
[doublepost=1517602138][/doublepost]
Not a bad deal... I picked up a 4th Gen 64GB in November 2016 for $159. Tempting, but I will hold out for Spring to see whether a 4K 128GB model is released.
Sorry, not fully up to speed on these.

I'm curious. What circumstances would make me want to have a higher capacity ATV? I don't buy videos on itunes, just stream stuff.

Reactions: tooloud10

jasper1977

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2007
Belgium
Nice...

Still no 4K TV's in our house, the 1080p Plasma and LCD just wont die.

if your 1080p plasma is capable of displaying 24Hz natively (at 72 or 96 Hz), like eg. the Pioneer Kuro, then you must consider to Apple TV 4K with its auto frame rate matching (at 1080p) instead of the old Apple TV 4 :)

Reactions: imola.zhp

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
I'm sure that opening it up and cleaning out the unit is probably part of the refurb process, but if it's not...it could be a roach motel. I used to work for the cable company. It's amazing how many roach boxes would come into the warehouse. They would be in boxes that were removed from a home weeks before. :eek:

Attirex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
....annnnd resident MR forums investment firm employee buys remaining 26 units (one for each room of his pool house) and humble brags in 3...2.....

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Nice! Just sold one of my Gen 3's on eBay this morning and was going to go to the Apple Store tomorrow to get one. I'll go online and get a refurb instead.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Yes, imagine the potential if they allocated a team and gave it the focus equivalent to what relatively tiny companies like Roku does with a fraction of the money in the bank. I'd love to see Apple do an "all in" on :apple:TV for a while. There is still so much potential in this little box.
I have said this a few times in the past, but I would love to see Apple and Nintendo team up and make an Nintendo Virtual Console app.

Sell retro games, maybe have an ATV that comes with a controller or two. I am sure it would be popular. Just the Mario, Zelda, and Metroid games alone would probably make a fortune.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
2 minutes with Roku's UI and in app experience, compared to Apple TV screams small company. small dev staff. Looks about 10 or 15 years old. I agree about a all in one from Apple. I wonder what happened to it, all the buzz just stopped a while ago. Roku just licences the tech to TV manufacturers like TCL, Best Buy's Insignia brand etc, Hard to see Samsung or Sony bringing Apple TV functionality on board. I have an Insignia Roku 4K in my garage, nice set great picture, but that Roku UI. The system sounds are right from a old video game like Pong :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ignatius345

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
The limited warranty can be extended to up to two years from the original purchase date with AppleCare for Apple TV for $29, but note this plan doesn't include accidental damage coverage.
This is relatively cheap, but I would pass on the AC for the ATV.

These boxes are relatively simple, and other than the Fan on the new one, no moving parts.

I have used each model of the ATVs, and never had any hardware issues except the original, but that was my fault. I left a DVD case on the top of the box for a few days, and I think I fried the GPU.

Anyone thinking of or ended up getting Apple Care on their ATVs?

saintstryfe

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Apple, like most major manufacturers use what's called batch production - that is, they build XXXXX of a product, then pull out XX of them to test. If they pass, the whole lot goes out. Unlike most, if not, they get inspected. Any that fail get fixed and sold as refurbs. This means Apple's refurbs are most often brand new product that's been individually inspected. Some are returns or replaced repairs, but most are indistinguishable from new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.