Refurbished Gear is flying out of the store.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gunga Din, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I was just checking today and i've noticed a ton of computers no longer available in the refurbished section. (this is in the last 24 hrs since i've checked).

Even 20" ACD's are gone.

Seems like alot of people were hoping for some other updates and just said the hell with it and started buying refurbished gear.

Actually i'd say MBP and iMac Numbers have increased. Mac Pros and Cinema Displays have decreased. Weird.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That also tends to happen a little while before a release.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why would you want to give Apple more money for a new product? :rolleyes:

4. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't even know why i'm posting about this. Just found it interesting. Its like people were expecting a new mini and now just went with Mac Pro's or something.

I guess my advice would be to grab a refurbished Mac, if it suits your needs, ASAP. I lost out on a refurb 23" ACD because i waited 6 hrs. Keep a watch on the refurb store if you thinking of going that route. Mac Pros were like $600 off when I check earlier today.

5. gothamm macrumors 6502a

not everyone has the same mentality as you. I don't mean that in a rude way but...

not everyone thinks the same way you do.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's my advice on buying a new Mac as well.

7. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Do you work for Apple?
    Things will pop on and off. Just be patient and I'm sure that 23" acd will be back within a couple of days or a week or so :D

I thought about getting the old mb, but I think I'll wait till summer and hope for the mini. I've got my microsoft pc that will hold me over :)

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I think the new mini will come out in summer too, WWDC, for Snow Leopard. Infact I think theyre holding a lot of new hardware back for Snowleopards release, so people will be "wow its amazing this new computer is so fast" when infact its only 50% the hardware and Snow Leopards making up the rest.

9. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I waited 6 months for my MBP (also my first mac). I'm just saying, some of the refurbished computers are a good deal. Keep an eye on them.

Thinking back, there was a nice deal on a refurbished MBP I should of jumped on. The new one I got was not much of an improvement, would have saved me a few hundred.

But i'm telling u, there were some nice Mac Pros about $600 off. I'm waiting on a new mini to use at home but I almost pulled the trigger on one of the Mac Pros they had.

P.S. No i don't work for Apple :) They don't have employee discounts lol.

10. gothamm macrumors 6502a

amazon is probably the best deal when it comes to macs, no tax, and the mail in rebates they offer on a regular basis make it about the same as buying a refurb.

11. bennyboyt macrumors member

when does the refurb site (uk) get refreshed?

12. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I've been looking for a while and still haven't found a pattern!

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I kinda agree with him...if you see something at the refurb store, grab it quick because you might not see it again. I bought a refurb MBP back in Nov for an absolute steal and it came with some great silent upgrades as well.

Ever since that day i have yet to see a similar machine and worse, the prices have gone up!...significantly