Refurbished iPhone 5S out yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jykim0806, Oct 16, 2013.

1. jykim0806 macrumors member

I had bought my iPhone 5S unlocked model at T-Mobile and htook it to the local T-Mobile store. I showed them a problem, and they were happy to replace my phone in store without any fee. However, my second iPhone 5S had DEAD PIXELS, and I knew that they are potentially going to spread. So I took it to the store again (I started questioning Apple's product quality for the first time), and they checked some things on my account and said they are not able to give me the replacement in store, but they can send me the new one to my house, but I asked them why they can't just give me the replacement, and the reason was because it was two weeks after the ORIGINAL PURCHASE. strange policy, but since I didn't have to pay for the shipping, I was cool with the shipping to my house. Then I got my THIRD iPhone 5S, which came as a bulk in a blank white box. I was really confused because I was expecting a full new phone inside an unopened iPhone 5S package. Is this the typical way T-Mobile ships out a replacement phone?
    I was wondering if this is a refurbished iPhone 5S, which I believe it is not out yet.:apple:

2. iphone5s2013 macrumors member

you can check at https://selfsolve.apple.com to see valid date for repair & exchange, it's same for all apple store.

3. jykim0806 thread starter macrumors member

It only showed if repairs are eligible, not the repair history.

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I'm curious as to why it would make a difference to you if it was new or a refurbished model.

Besides, you're returning an open/ used model, why should you get a new one in exchange?

5. jykim0806 thread starter macrumors member

I didn't complain or said bad things about it- i was just curious since it has been not long since the release.
    And let's be honest here, who wouldn't like the NEW model?

6. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Most companies would never replace a product because of a few dead pixels. But because Apple has exceptional standards and care for its customers, they have gone far beyond what is necessary of them to make you happy. The white box doesn't mean your phone was not new. They just ship all warranty replacements in plain packaging when honored outside of retail stores.

7. Warcake macrumors regular

why does it matter if its refurbished or not? refurbished units are good as new, having a new battery, display and casing. also, you returned a used phone, so idk why you think you're entitled to a full, new, packaged unit.

8. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

9. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Er em because it was faulty out of the box?

OP refurbished units have different model numbers, if your white box service replacement has the same model number as the original then I think it is probably new.

10. VinoGrande macrumors member

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

On september 22, When I bought my 5S, I saw people already replacing their 5S with ones in white boxes.

Do you care to explain how these were refurbished after 2 days of being for sell?

12. gCloud macrumors 6502a

You know this how?

13. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

those that come in a white box aren't refurbished yet. too soon for that. refurbished take weeks/months to hit the stores. apple puts these in white box non retail box. indeed these are new. no worries. why would you need the phone to come in a retail box for? you already have a box. and besides what do you care more for...getting a new replacement device or getting a retail box ? lol no worries. the phone you got is new. enjoy it. hope you don't have anymore problems.

14. VinoGrande macrumors member

Because I have friends at Apple who tell me when refurbed products are available, then I buy them. That and plain common sense. They've been out less than a month. Apple doesn't turn them around that quickly.

15. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

White boxes are cheaper to produce than the the standard ones.

Knowing that some phones would need to be replaced, it's not hard to imagine that they'd have some new iPhones shipped in the cheaper packaging for that purpose.

16. gCloud macrumors 6502a

So you know by imagining, very useful, thanks for you input.

17. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Nobody, but those who work internally at Apple, knows anything. It's all speculation.

But then, I'd rather offer likely and plausible scenarios instead of offering nothing and belittling for no reason.

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I can't speak for T-Mobile but I've never had a replacement at an Apple store that wasn't in a white box. As you've seen this forum is full of opinions so I'd give T-Mobile a call to see if this is typical for them.

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Every replacement iPhone I've ever seen is whitebox. Why would they send you all the accessories as well?

I would assume Apple and other manufacturers produce a number of accessory free units to have on hand for replacement purposes. The even may be ones that failed some test during manufacturing and had to be pulled out of the assembly line. it really doesn't matter- they have the same warranty as a new sealed item and most likely have had any kinks already worked out.

Now my wife's replacement Galaxy S3 was shipped loose in a box banging around. I couldn't believe how terribly it was packed. It also came with no accessories and in a generic box.

20. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

100% spot-on. They aren't going to give him new headphones and cables, just a phone.

Second, the refurbishment process takes a while to start up following a new product release. This is most likely too soon for the 5S refurbishment process to be sending out phones.

As anecdotal evidence, I had to replace my iPhone 4 three times after buying it in summer 2010. Each time they cracked open a nondescript black box with a new phone in it.

And for anyone questioning why he wants a new phone: he's entitled to one if he's within warranty. I think that dead pixels do count as a manufacturing defect, so OP is entitled to return it.

And, as per most warranties: you get a new unit, not a refurbished one, when receiving warranty replacements.

21. hughiee macrumors member

I exchanged mine for a refurbished NE302LL/A activated on Sept. 21st (one day after the debut of the new 5s). It came in a white box with serial F2 and a yellow screen that I noticed after I compared with the silver 5s. I want to bring it back to exchange for a better screen but am hesitating as I don't want to be blacklisted by Apple :)

22. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

1. There are no refurbished iPhones 1 day after it releases. How is that even possible?

2. My brand new out of box 5S had a bad yellow screen too.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It may be a generic white box, but it's most likely a new phone. I had an iPhone 5 replaced on launch day last year (cracked the screen in 20 minutes in my pocket), went back and the serial number on the replacement phone showed it was make before my new one.

24. gCloud macrumors 6502a

1-we don't know this, the flash memory for one could be from returned 5's, what happens to all new phones that don't make QC? I think that people exchanging within the 1st 14 shouldn't go for white box replacement.

2- me too, I find the colours look great in games and movies, but when background is white it just looks bad. also, none of apple store units have the yellow tint.

25. itjw macrumors 65816

YES!!! For FSM's sake why do people think it takes the most powerful tech manufacturer in the world months to refurb their flagship product? Especially when thousands are returned because OCD folks see "scuffs" or "interlacing" or bought a grey because they couldn't sleep at night if they had to wait a few weeks...

Plenty of components. Plenty of demand for refurbs. Money to make it happen.

Sure. Apple is just going to wait around so folks won't have a refurb. Not happening.

You likely got a refurb. A dirty, slimy, smelly refurb!

And Apple owes you NOTHING more, as long as that refurb works properly.