Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MSFT

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
In the market for a 13" MBA. I'm definitely looking for a refurb model.

Right now they have a 13" base model for $929. The NEW version with 8GB is $1150.

I think it would be worth the extra $90 to upgrade to 8GB, but certainly not $220 over the refurb base model.

Has anyone seen the 8GB version in the refurb store? Is it a complete crapshoot?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If I really want the 8 and am not in a hurry, I would exercise my patience and wait for the refurb 8.

MSFT

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
I'm not sure if I really need the 8GB.

I only mostly surf the web, use Word/PPT, listen to music. The most demanding thing I think I'll do is hopefully get a TB display and hook it up to that for a desktop experience.

I planned on keeping the MBA until it died (and wanted the 8GB for longevity), but wouldn't be opposed to selling it after a couple years. They seem to hold their value well.

Thoughts?

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
You should be fine with 4GB as long as you don't have multiple programs running at once. I tend to quit mine when I don't need them since they re-launch so quickly.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I had the opportunity to buy refurb 11" over the summer and the model available happened to be the 256SSD with 8GB RAM with 2012 specs. As my previous machine was a 2010 with 2GB RAM, I noticed an extraordinary change in speed and responsiveness, and would therefore, recommend 8 over 4.

Having said all that, I do remember the old arguments when I first joined the forum back in 2008, which ran along the lines of whether 1 GB of RAM was sufficient or would one require 2 GB RAM? Then the debate (equally vehement, needless to say) progressed to whether one could at all survive with 2 GB RAM, or would one require 4; now, of course, 4 is deemed insufficient, and some have bounded ahead to require 16 GB RAM, rather than a mere 8.

The received wisdom is to get as much RAM as you can afford (without doing serious injury to yourself, your finances, or your pocket in the process). Applications, and programmes are increasingly demanding of vast quantities of RAM, and it seems to me to be a good idea to splurge a little on this area.

Certainly, while my old MBA (with 2 RAM) coped perfectly well for most of the time I had it, by early last year, I did notice beach balls and lagging, especially if I had several windows open simultaneously.

TheEnthusiast

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2013
I'm not sure if I really need the 8GB.

I only mostly surf the web, use Word/PPT, listen to music. The most demanding thing I think I'll do is hopefully get a TB display and hook it up to that for a desktop experience.

I planned on keeping the MBA until it died (and wanted the 8GB for longevity), but wouldn't be opposed to selling it after a couple years. They seem to hold their value well.

Thoughts?

For those uses alone, you will be fine. Not too many applications use 4GB of RAM since more RAM is geared towards multitasking.
I wish I could find the person who posted this video to thank s/he:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6oaUJPZKNc

Future proofing is unnecessary mental exercise, in my opinion, because after a few years, RAM is not the only factor when a person considers an upgrade. The CPU technology, form factor, display, the "new" factor are all possible reasons to consider upgrading. Then there's the argument of spending more now in the hopes that it will yield a higher resale vale. Ideally, if you're buying something it should be of YOUR benefit. Furthermore, if you spend say $100, when it comes time to resell, there will not be a $100 profit over a lower spec'ed model since when buying used, and an older model at that, people look for bargains.

However, if you are like the many people here who lose sleep over the fact that they may need more RAM in future, or about making a little extra off of re-sale, then by all means get 8GB of RAM.

MSFT

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Well, I'm convinced 4GB is good enough!

I also agree with your statement, "The Enthusiast".

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
or about making a little extra off of re-sale.

I am in the believe that ppl buying used electronics they are in a severe budget constraint and will tend to buy the less expensive one offered, not the "fully loaded" kind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.