Regarding iPad and cannibalized sales of other Apple products

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BeyondtheTech, Apr 5, 2010.

?

Will the iPad affect your future Apple product purchases?

1. Yes, I may return to dumbphone (or not opt to get an iPhone).

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Yes, I don't think I'd need a Mac anymore.

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Maybe / not sure.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. No, I'll still purchase an iPhone or Mac.

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

There's no doubt that the iPad will cannibalize sales of the iPhone, iPod touch, and Macs. Apple even said so, but to what extent?

As an owner of several Macs and iPhones for myself and my family, with one MacBook for my wife, I came to the conclusion that I now need another MacBook to continue to develop my iPhone and iPad applications on while I'm on the go. However, my wife basically uses her MacBook for surfing the internet and checking email. It was a no-brainer that I got her the iPad so I can have her MacBook instead. That action saved me about $500 (from the purchase price of a new MacBook), and we all have a new toy to play with.

So, after a full day or so of playing with the iPad, it's dawning on me how much more I like the device. So much so that I am considering dumping my iPhone to replace it with a dumbphone without a data plan, and getting the iPad 3G instead. After all, it's still $30 a month for unlimited data (or $15 if I realize I'm not hitting the low limit), and I'm not locked down to a 2-year contract with AT&T. With the 3G version, I'll keep GPS capability and have push notifications just like the iPhone. Also, with my iPhone 3GS in mint condition, the resales are still great that I would only have to pay about half for a 16GB or 32GB iPad with 3G. Granted, I'm still reeling over the fact that the iPad is missing a camera.

Also, I found my kids really enjoying the iPad as well. When you think about it, it's a closed system, half the price of an iMac, less maintenance than an iMac or Mac mini, draws less power, and they can take it anywhere with them. And the apps and books that you buy are relatively cheaper and can be just purchased once and used on all your devices. Though most people might not follow it, it's technically illegal to do so with a game or application you buy at the Apple Store, as it's only licensed for one machine. Also, try dealing with kids who need help swapping out discs or mounting disc images because of the software developer's protection scheme that it can't simply run off the hard drive. Or, coming back to a desktop with a messed up resolution or missing cursor control because they accidentally launched a couple of games from the Dock at once.

Looking at it now, if they really blew up the App Store with more educational titles for kids, the iPad will really fly.

People might be complaining about the lack of Flash, but with the iPad's fast speed, I'm remoting into my iMac using LogMeIn Ignition (and soon iTeleport for iPad) and I can hit up my desktop Safari with Flash anytime "I have to."

How are you perceiving your future purchases of other Apple products now that the iPad is showing its true colors?

2. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

For me, it will be replacing my MacBook most likely.

At the moment, I have an iMac that I get my photo editing done one, and my MacBook for mobile media consumption... the iPad does this much better, cheaper, lighter, and longer on a single charge.

I don't know what option to pick, as I'm not fully replacing my need for a computer, but it is now my default mobile media consumption device.

As far as vs my iPhone... not a chance. The iPhone stays in my pocket and goes *everywhere* with me. I doubt I can bring my iPad everywhere, but maybe time will tell?

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I was previously goings to buy a MacBook pro to do my business work in, such as editing spreadsheets or touching up documents on the go as well as Internet and email. I will no longer be doing that due to the iPad. Definitley a lost MacBook pro sale for apple, but maybe they will make more off me anyway due to their commission on the app store.

I also Thought that once I don't have access to a desktop if I am traveling I may need something more. But I think packing an external keyboard and the dock in my luggage will do the trick. My carry on will be much lighter though with just the ipad and some headphones as far as tech stuff goes.

Still need an iPhone though since it would not be practical to carry an iPad with me literally everywhere, so I am keeping that. My equipment will now be iMac at home for any heavy lifting, iPad on the go, and the iPhone for communication.

4. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

The iPad has not affected my current plans to get an iPhone and also a MacbooK Pro with an external display to have as my main computer.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm pretty sure that apple isn't too worried about cannibalization, they're more after the mindshare of people, which at this point they have almost a complete lock on. Everyone knows apple, even if they don't own something from them, and it seems like they are the industries measuring stick to go by. It's going to be a hell of a year in Cupertino.