Regarding sim cards for Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aDRock1154, Sep 11, 2012.

1. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I have a Verizon 4S currently on a company plan.. I basically called *228 to activate my 4S coming from my 4...

Do I have anything to be worried about when trying to activate my new 5 (new iPhone)? I will be buying it full retail from Best Buy and I have no idea if i'll have issues activating a 4G phone with a different type of sim... I'm sorry if this sounds newbish :eek:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You might need a new nano sim if they use those for the next iphone.
    If they do your carrier will be able to offer you one.

3. aDRock1154, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Thanks for the quick response. Another dumb question... Will Verizon have these the day the iPhone launches? I just don't wanna buy the new iPhone at launch and not be able to activate it due to carriers not having a supply of new sim cards. (I know, probably a good question for Verizon, but I don't want them to think i'm crazy talking about a phone that hasn't even been announced yet.)

EDIT: Will the new iPhone have a new sim included? I have never messed with my 4S and wasn't even sure it used one.

4. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

The phone should be shipped or otherwise delivered to you with the proper 4G LTE sim already installed. AFAIK, it can just be flashed on the phone now a days to the proper account/number etc.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they will make sure they have plenty of sims available for their customers to activate their phones.
    If they dont they will be in deep trouble so you can bet they will:D

6. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Ha, yeah that makes sense!

Cool, that's what was confusing me. I wasn't sure if i'd be able to activate over the phone or not. Thanks!!

7. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Previously, with Verizon you had to get a new SIM when you changed numbers OR when you got a new phone. However, I handed down an LTE phone to my sister and I don't think we had to get a new SIM. I can't recall.

8. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Interesting.. I am giving my wife my 4S when I get the new one, so i'm hoping we don't have to get her a new sim card and can just activate over the phone...

Completely unrelated: is deactivating iMessage necessary when gifting/changing iPhones? I heard it can get screwed up if you don't before the restore..

9. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

The 4S isn't LTE, just a general CDMA device so it can be just swapped over to her line by switching it on the website and calling a number.

I don't believe so because iMessages are attached to iCloud accounts. To give your phone to another I'd do a complete system restore.

10. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Okay that makes sense.. She had to add the iPhone 4 on her account online last year, so she'll have to do that again prior to activating. Thanks!

I can't remember where I read that about iMessage (I ALWAYS do a full restore when I gift her my old phones, so that won't be an issue) , but I think someone said issues will occur if you don't disable iMessage prior to the full system restore (which didn't make sense to me because it's a COMPLETE wipe lol)

11. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Whatever you read was probably a bug or someone who didn't know what they're doing. I've system restored my 4S a few times and never ran into issues with iMessage.

12. aDRock1154 thread starter macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

That's what I figured, but was prepared to do it in fear i'd screw up iMessage lol Thanks again for all of your input!

13. khalnayk macrumors newbie

Has anyone got the nano sim from vzn w/o buying new iPhone 5?