Regent Street Apple Store: Stops reservations and tells customers 'Go Home'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hustle, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I've been waiting at Regent Street Apple Store for 2 hours in the 'reserved' line. Apple staff then decide at 7pm to section off the line half way through and tell people they aren't getting their reserved iPhones... because staff finish at 10pm and the line will go past 10pm.

I was angry, as were 100s of others, especially as I was at the front of the 'cut off' line.

Who else was in this line?

2. sjw macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that - it's a pretty darn crap thing to do. Would have been better to stop letting people line up at some point and tell new arrivals that they aren't letting any more people queue...

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's amazing how badly Apple and AT&T can treat people and yet they still line up. Droid anyone?

4. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

There was a kid at the front of the line next to me who I felt really sorry for. When he was talking to them, you could see he was shocked.

Worst thing was that one Apple employee was letting a few people into the iPhone line and not others.

I've lost all faith in Apple for treating its customers like that.

5. Aphex3D macrumors newbie

Doesn't that mean your reserved phones will be available for sale to walk-ins tomorrow?

That sucks

6. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

No matter what service it is, No Droid :D

But yeah, Can't believe that is the case, unless it would be till 12-1am, Although it may be to do with Licensing Laws that they cannot operate after 10pm.

7. arykmax macrumors regular

Same thing happened a couple of years ago when I was in line for the iPhone 3G.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Ha ha, well I didn't immediately realize this was coming out of the U.K. so I guess I can't blame AT&T for this one--just Apple.

At least they should have passed out a ticket of some kind so that those told to go home could be first in line the next day. Simple to do.

9. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

They gave all of us a iPhone 4 card with a time to collect a phone tomorrow. They said we'll get one within 30 minutes of our appointment time. Still annoying for those who travelled hours to get there.

10. sananda macrumors 68020

I feel bad for you! I suppose they took too many reservations and/or let in too many walk ins.

I was in the queue for 5 hours but but at least my girlfriend got her phone.

11. MrSingh macrumors regular

yep - i was there. if u saw me you wouldn't have missed me; sikh guy with blue clothes and turban, with a long flowing beard: looked a bit like this:

( ( ( :)>>>

i had it out with the staff but ended up getting agreement for my brother to collect it at 9.45am tomorrow by calling the store on my way home.

yeah - bit of a joke. what they should've done is paid staff time and a half to continue into early hours or at least agreed to take cred card payments from those who had reserved sim-free units and post the iphone to them 2moro. but instead they blatantly wanted to only commit to holding reserves until tomorrow so they could 'keep the stock flowing in and out' = ££££.

at the very least they could have agreed to hold onto them for at least 5 working days.

after this experience i've decided not to bother queuing for launch items - the blotchy yellow screens and dodgy antenna issues also meant i was in two minds right from the start anyway.

i've said it before and i'll say it again: love the products / hate the company.

12. Hustle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Was you the guy having it out with the black lady (apple staff) then you said you'll have to get the wife to pick it up then you phoned someone? You was getting the sim free one, Right? If so, I was standing right next to you.

13. MrSingh macrumors regular

yep that was me :)

i could tell you the long version of what happened since then but the summary is:

- they agreed for my bro to collect it today at 9.45 with no reservation card

- when he turned up they said he couldn't have it...cos he had no card...grrrr

- they then gave it to someone else but when i called and screwed at them they agreed to have another one available until the end of today. i told them i should be compensated with something; bit of arguing ended-up with them agreeing to give me a black bumper.

sis in law is collecting it as we speak; i'm on photography job in the midlands! wont get to mess with it until tomorrow night.

14. Lyetz macrumors newbie

I spoke with an Apple employee yesterday, and apparently they get a bonus from cooperate if they get through everybody before closing time. I'd imagine that's why they sent everybody home.

15. nwlondonlad macrumors 6502a

nwlondonlad

lol I was there too just slightly in front of you before the cut off point (black tshirt blue nike bag). I refused to take a 'come back tomorrow card' and said I'd chance it and wait.

Eventually they let me and a few others join the main line. We eventually got into the Apple store around 8pm only to then wait another 2 hrs in the shop to be served.

Walked out at 10pm, 32 gig sim free. (actual purchase took 15 mins)