Regent Street says deep stock of 2.66 Quad

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by netdog, Dec 31, 2007.

1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

FWIW, when I returned my 2.66 quad, they asked me why. I said because it is 1.5 year old tech still carrying the same price.

He said it's the only 64-bit tech on the market.

I said Dell and HP offer 64-bit Windows systems that are a lot more modern.

He said not really.

I said the card is ancient, and that Apple is probably the only company with deep stock of 7300s.

He said it isn't an old card.

I said I want to return it.

He said stock here is deep on 2.66 quads and that even when the new MP is announced, they probably won't have it for another 6-7 weeks.

I just relay the above for what it's worth. Anyway, I left my 2.66 and am hoping that I finally have a MP soon. I am tired of running my 30" ACD off a Mini at 1280x800 and, to tell the truth, am quite pissed at Multi for talking me out of buying this machine in August.

2. peejack macrumors 6502a

How many times does it have to be said?....

Apple retailers/geniuses probably know less than the people here, about future releases, updates etc... their word means nothing, they are trying to sell what they have now :rolleyes:

I presume you knew what you were buying before you brought it?

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Thanks. But the store folks rarely know anything of value until the last minute.

Multi?

Anyhow, it was your decision, as is the decision to return your Mac Pro.

Hope it all works out best for you.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Apple Store guys don't know any more than we do, in fact they usually know less when it comes to 'rumours' etc...

5. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

The fact they have a lot of them in inventory is a good indicator that a lot of people aren't buying them.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Had they got any Mac Pros on display?

I went to the Bullring store on Saturday and there wasn't a single Mac Pro, Mac mini or Cinema Display on display in the store.

Actually, there was one dusty old Mac Pro under the table, powering the iPhone window displays :D

7. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

actually it was a gift

8. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

I understand your frustration on the graphics cards, as my x1900 just died from overheating only 60 days out of warranty and I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay apple 400 dollars for a 160 dollar card anywhere else minus the firmware.

BUT, that being said, you can't go wrong with buying the 2.66. Mine is a year and a half old and it's still plenty of power. Here's an example:

I run a 2.66 with 6 gigs of RAM and and ton of harddrive space (I think around 3 TB).

On an average day I run Illustrator and Flash all day along with the occasional photoshop. I also run iTunes, eyeTV (recording shows), mail, Daylite/Billings, iChat and safari. Very often I am also running VMWare or Parallels so that I can use zBrush 3.1.

The thing STILL doesn't feel taxed. That being said, unless you are doing heavy math or REALLY heavy video editing/compositing/post production, I can't see where you can go wrong with a Mac Pro, even now.

If you can wait though, it never hurts, but I know that this mac pro is the first apple machine I have ever owned where I haven't even been thinking about the next new thing yet.

Good luck with you purchase, hope this helps a little.

(you can always upgrade the graphics when they announce new ones.

cheers,
    technocoy

9. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Funny; same here at the Tysons Corner store

10. timestamp macrumors 6502

The guy doesn't know anything. The fact that he doesn't know what Dell is offering is a dead give away, not to mention the video card comment :rolleyes:

I don't even know why you would entertain believing a guy who is clearly making stuff up. :confused:

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Have you considered flashing a standard X1900 or Pro? I don't know much about the subject, but I know it can be done. Forgive the edit, and I'm not a child, I just don't like profanity.

I'm fairly jealous of your rig, though, even without a working graphics card. :D

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

No one can talk you out of anything you truly believe in. You decided to wait in August, and you've got to bear the responsibility for it. It's not Multi's fault you've been waiting since back then, and it won't be your girlfriend's fault if you're still waiting past the 15th. It won't be Apple's fault either; no one's forcing you to wait, or to return brand new Mac Pros. These are the choices you're making--to keep holding out for intangibles--and you really should own up to them, instead of blaming others.

13. Roy macrumors 6502

Hate profanity, but love violence? :eek:

Read this thread for more info on why he returned the Mac Pro:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=405003

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Well, of course; he's an American! Just look at our television... :^)
    (I'm an American as well, so none of y'all take it personally!)

15. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Back in June I was trying to decide if I would buy the Mac Pro or not because I thought it was going to be updated.

I bought it in June, haven't taken full advantage of the machine to this day. I'll laugh at this in the future, but this is too much power for me.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Like many have said. It's really hard to rely on the Apple retail guys when talking future releases. I have had my Mac Pro since Sept. 06. Personally I really like that it has not been updated. I still have a current machine and that makes me happy. Since buying it I have been wowed, I would have to say though that if I was looking now I might wait or at least get a used Mac Pro.

17. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Man, those Apple Store employees get dumber and dumber every year.....

18. Norco macrumors regular

I'd liken them to the same know-how as Geek Squad employees...

19. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

No way, Geek Squad knows all. :rolleyes:

20. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Actually, this is useful. Coming from 3 years at Apple Retail, this is good info in the sense that Apple very rarely keeps us in deep stock of product they are planning on updating in the near future. Usually we'd get down to a few machines before an update, that's how we'd be able to tell what was coming down the pipe. This is info consumers don't have unless those who work at retail stores share that with them...so :rolleyes: yourself.

Well that was productive. Thanks for that insight into personal responsibility, or something along those lines.

21. drrich2 macrumors member

Ironically, I think the same sort of 'You made the decision; live with it' kill joy argument will be levied at people who bought late in '07 or early January '08 instead of waiting, IF the MacPro update is released at MacWorld.

You knew it was overpriced outdated & due for an update, MacWorld was around the corner and you didn't wait...

I sometimes wonder what point there is to such a 'You screwed yourself so shut up' attitude.

Richard.

22. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Micro Anvika, a large independent Apple retailer here in London, has "plenty of stock" of the 2.66 quad and the 3.0 quad and octo. Wouldn't we expect to be seeing the channel clearing now?

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I can't believe that no one has mentioned this yet, but... could this "deep stock" problem stem from the fact that more people read this board than we think and they're becoming Waiters just like us?! :p Logically, if one is to make a purchase as... profound as a Mac Pro, the intelligent thing to do is gain info from multiple sources about it. So they go to the Apple site and read, but then they get a second opinion from other sites. This one, perhaps, and they realize that it hasn't been updated in FIVE HUNDRED & SEVENTEEN DAYS and they hear that a Keynote is coming up. So, they wait, and the stock at physical Apple Stores becomes backlogged.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm somewhat on board with this statement.

What I don't quite get is who the hell is multi and why are you pissed at them for making you wait? Oh and my thought is you'll be without a MacPro until spring time.

25. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

How good are MicAnv at keeping up to date? If they stay recent, they'll just start offering some healthy discounts on current stock, no?