Reggie interview; Revolution and DS


michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
142
0
Excellent! It really does sound like Revolution will have a killer launch of software from day one. Can't wait to see what new franchises the big N has in store. :D
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,553
2,886
fantastic news! i keep hearing the term 'core gamer'. i truly love the sound of that. and thinking about it the core gamer in me wants to go play NES Super Mario Bros, ive had this craving for a few days now too.

free online gaming on the Rev and DS? excellent :D

that would be too good. i mean the GBA is the most popular (aka, most sold) gaming machine to date, the DS is the next step so people are moving to that. with the amount of people with DS's we're going to see a very active online gaming community, especially with the sheer popularity of the DS in japan.

and the bit about the Gameboy Micro. my (and probably everyone elses) guess that this will be dirt cheap seems to be spot on.

but wow. we're going to see the classic franchises returning for the Rev's launch?! haha, i was considering getting an Xbox360 earlier this week. but now i'll get my Rev and be happy ever after.
this whole Revolution experience is already so gripping and beautiful. :D
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
It's been hinted we'll see a Kid Icarus game on the Revolution from Shigeru Miyamoto :D

BTW, I can see why the Micro will be cheaper. The Micro only plays GBA games from what I understand, no old gameboy and gameboy color games. That means it can remove the Z80 processor (the GBA SP and GBA have a Z80 processor from the GameBoy Color to play old games), saving money. And the screen is smaller, saving more money. As a result it'll probably be the cheapest handheld sold by Nintendo.
 

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,081
287
Indianapolis
Rumor is that the GBA Micro will cost more than the SP but less than the DS. They might include the Play Yan with it. It'll be well worth it if they include that...
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,553
2,886
hmm i dunno, Reggie says

...the belief is that it's going to be the hot Christmas item this year. Especially when we announce the pricing.
my guess is £40, half the price of the SP as it is now (i think they're about £80). it makes sense especially with the lack of a Z80 CPU and its diminutive size. just over the price of a game, or rather, the price of a PSP game :p why buy an overpriced watered-down console port when you can get the greatest (or rather most sold) handheld console ever? especially as the GBM and the PSP come out at around the same time in the UK.
 

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
3,825
432
Dornbirn (Austria)
nice interview .. man i can hardly wait for the new Civilization 4 (*drool*) ... Nintendo definetly know how to build up anticipation ... i can't wait to see the new franchises, i'm pretty sure they will have at least one (more) mature one

and i have no doubt that the new gameboy micro will sell like hot cakes during christmas shopping season , heck even i'm thinking about one because of the size but i simply can't decide because of the lots of stuff out there which i want to buy ...gameboy micro, civ4,revolution next year,DS, zelda,geist + other gamecube games mario strikers,tales of symphonia , mp3 players, LCD computer screens arghhhhh where shall i take all that money
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
I'm frankly disturbed at the thought of a "Mario that appeals to teens".

Just don't follow Sega's approach and give your mascot machine guns.
 

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
3,825
432
Dornbirn (Austria)
lol yeah stick to fireballs like in the old days ;)

i can smell a comeback of the fireballs, frog suit ,feather etc. from the NES game..that would awesome in 3d.. that is still something lacking in mario64 and sunshine...
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
I've always been waiting for a new Super Mario Bros game (not counting the DS one), or a new World game.

The last "Mario Bros" game was Mario 3.

I want a new Mario Bros game, in full 3d, based off the Mario 64 type of game engine but with all the old stuff (I want the old tail back! And fire flower, etc). Or at least a sequel to Mario World, with the cape and all.
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,553
2,886
thats a good point o_O there hasnt been a fireflower in the new Mario games. thing is 2D and 3D Mario are so very different, the only thing that links them is the flying cap and riding Yoshi. now. make a new 2D Mario game, then without releasing it turn it into 3D and :D

also get those elusive suits in there, the Tanookis and Hammer Bros suits, or whatever equivalent.

now... the New Super Mario Bros DS looks awesome. sure it may not be mature but its the holy grail of gaming; a 2D Mario.
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,553
2,886
GFLPraxis said:
I'm frankly disturbed at the thought of a "Mario that appeals to teens".

Just don't follow Sega's approach and give your mascot machine guns.
sonic died after Sonic Adventure. it just doesn't work in 3D -_- Sonic Advance on the other hands is alright, but its no Sonic 2 (Megadrive)
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
raggedjimmi said:
thats a good point o_O there hasnt been a fireflower in the new Mario games. thing is 2D and 3D Mario are so very different, the only thing that links them is the flying cap and riding Yoshi. now. make a new 2D Mario game, then without releasing it turn it into 3D and :D

also get those elusive suits in there, the Tanookis and Hammer Bros suits, or whatever equivalent.

now... the New Super Mario Bros DS looks awesome. sure it may not be mature but its the holy grail of gaming; a 2D Mario.

There was a flying cap in old Mario games?

I'm pretty sure there wasn't. The only thing that links them is riding Yoshi, and that was ONLY in Super Mario Sunshine (64 didn't have it). Oh, and Goombas die when you jump on their heads.
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
raggedjimmi said:
sonic died after Sonic Adventure. it just doesn't work in 3D -_- Sonic Advance on the other hands is alright, but its no Sonic 2 (Megadrive)

I actually somewhat liked Sonic Adventure 2.

The graphics were bad, the game was very simple, but for a limited time it was fun. Not an especially good game, but it was okay.

On the other hand, I hated Sonic Advance 2. It was TOO fast. To the point where I can beat stage 2-1 by holding forward on the D-pad and pressing jump one time. I know, I tested it. Most of the levels consisted of you holding forward while you run through levels too fast to see what the heck is going on and where you are, and jumping once or twice. I'd much rather play a port of Sonic 2 or the best Sonic game ever, Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
 

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2003
2,901
755
Southeastern Louisiana
GFLPraxis said:
It's been hinted we'll see a Kid Icarus game on the Revolution from Shigeru Miyamoto :D

BTW, I can see why the Micro will be cheaper. The Micro only plays GBA games from what I understand, no old gameboy and gameboy color games. That means it can remove the Z80 processor (the GBA SP and GBA have a Z80 processor from the GameBoy Color to play old games), saving money. And the screen is smaller, saving more money. As a result it'll probably be the cheapest handheld sold by Nintendo.
Hmm. Cheap, eh? Make it $50 and I'll buy one. Even though I have a perfectly functioning SP and not really that many games...I'd still one just for the extreme portability.
 

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
788
0
Center of the Nation
[/QUOTE]
"What I can tell you is the other time that Sony tried [making an all-purpose console], it failed miserably. And it's called the PSX. So I think that the consumer will vote with their dollar when everything comes out and everything is known. We do believe a center-of-the-plate gaming strategy is going to make sense in this marketplace. Especially when it's supported with fantastic software."
did the psx ever make it to the us at all?
 

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
1,258
1
Stavanger, Norway
GFLPraxis said:
There was a flying cap in old Mario games?

I'm pretty sure there wasn't. The only thing that links them is riding Yoshi, and that was ONLY in Super Mario Sunshine (64 didn't have it). Oh, and Goombas die when you jump on their heads.
I guess it was supposed to read "flying cape". :)
 

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
1,258
1
Stavanger, Norway
GFLPraxis said:
There wasn't a flying cape in Mario 64 :p
Oh, I didn't understand the post you replied to. I've never played Mario 64, but I thought I remembered the flying cape from my childhood, hence my previous post. And there was a bear-like flying thing too. Has he ever used the same thing to fly in to seperate games?

Edit:
the cape was in super mario world for SNES.

And here are two pictures but I don't know what games these were from. (not from smw snes atleast.)


 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
Nope. Mario 64 (awesome game, go play it ASAP, it's considered the best platformer of it's generation) had a flying cap, a hat with wings on the side, that you would use to fly.
 

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
7,583
489
Melenkurion Skyweir
Poff said:
Oh, I didn't understand the post you replied to. I've never played Mario 64, but I thought I remembered the flying cape from my childhood, hence my previous post. And there was a bear-like flying thing too. Has he ever used the same thing to fly in to seperate games?

Edit:
the cape was in super mario world for SNES.

And here are two pictures but I don't know what games these were from. (not from smw snes atleast.)


That's Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World respectively. Ah, nostalgia!

Super Mario 64 is indeed one of the greatest 3D platformer ever made. And it was the first ever that was done right (the first 3D platformer ever, Bubsy 3D, needless to say, sucked).
 

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
7,091
404
Yup. Mario 3 had the racoon tail to fly, Mario World had the cape, Mario 64 had the cap, and Sunshine had the rocket nozzle on FLUDD.
 

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
1,258
1
Stavanger, Norway
GFLPraxis said:
Yup. Mario 3 had the racoon tail to fly, Mario World had the cape, Mario 64 had the cap, and Sunshine had the rocket nozzle on FLUDD.
Didn't mario world have the other cape? the yellow one, used as a parachute..



this one. At least I've been told that was mario world for snes.