Register your kids Chrismas present Drone, or the Feds will take it away and slap you a $75,000fine!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Dec 19, 2015.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That's right folks!

Starting next week, you either register your drone, or be breaking the law!!
    The FAA is using its full authority of airspace to impose draconian Big Brother laws!

So better go here and register.

Yes, it is limited to minimum 250 grams (.5 pounds) and up to 55 pounds, it is still a light weight.
    An iPhone weights about 130 grams.
    Regardless, nothing will stop the FAA to change the rules to include lighter, cheaper drones.

I am an aircraft pilot, light aircraft, and drones are a concern, however I think this rule is severely authritarian. Especially since the FAA already has rules on RC model aircraft drafted decades ago which applies to Drones as well as typical RC models.
    Critically there is little public notification of the need for registration for drones. It is possible millions of people will be flying drones illigaly.
    There is also technological solutions to drones, since the typical quad-copter type have accelerometers and gyros for stability, they will also have the ability to measure how far they travel, thus a built in limit.

In short, the FAA is casting a huge net to take control of this issue before Congress or POTUS does something. Once the net is tossed, it will be difficult to create a balanced and productive set of laws.
    (Surprised Republicans are not all over this "Big Gov" power grab).

NOTE: I do approve of FAA being proactive with the Drone issue, however I am leery about how they are doing it.

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

Almost everyone has been offended by, or put in danger from, a drone operated by a selfish and obnoxious wingnut. It's a bipartisan issue.

3. PracticalMac, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Let me repeat this:
    LAWS ALREADY EXIST to punish those who endanger or are reckless with model aircraft toward other people.
    All the Registration does is say "Yes, I have a drone, and this is where I live", and make it a P-U-B-L-I-C record.
    Might as well tell everyone you have guns in your house too.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Ease up, buddy. Take a breather.

It won't even get anywhere near the multi-layered and multi-faceted law-laid-atop-law that guns get.

5. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Stupid country and stupid laws, geez...

How about instead of restricting drone usage just punish people who aren't responsible enough to use the device carefully?

6. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Guns have powerful manufactures and organizations behind it.
    FAA is writing many laws randomly because they have little opposition.

The laws are not stupid, just the people who write them.
    The existing laws work well, but they write more crude laws that give them power even to the airspace outside your window.

(again, I do support reasonable controls on drone operations, but I thing this is overstepping FAA authority)

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

I believe that is where the current law is heading. For instance, in the case of a drone that landed in the hot springs at Yellowstone, after having spoiled the serenity of those visiting the park during their once in a lifetime visit, authorities would be able to tell who the perpetrator was. Well, they did not have such licensing then, so authorities eventually roundly banned all drone flying for the good of the population at large. Not unlike the Smithsonian banning selfie sticks.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

They need this type of law in every country. People don't want their privacy invaded by remote control aircraft with the ability to film you. Obviously most people are responsible but it doesn't harm to register the device.

We had a 2 year old on our news the other day who was hit in the face by a drone flown by a neighbour. It disfigured him and sliced his eyeball in half. You shouldn't be allowed to fly them in residential areas full stop.

Big brother laws on a big brother device.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

And how will this be enforced? It won't. This is just a measure to make extreme fines possible for those that get caught flying one.

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Okay, no regulations - get a drone and use it all over the place regardless of how it interferes with others' lives or ability to live. Will government get blamed then?

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What about other forms of filming? Air space as far as I know is public. And even your front yard is public. Unless you are going to live inside all the time with the windows drawn I don't know how you can expect 100% privacy.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Won't take long till the FAA "needs" a tactical team for drone regulation compliance and enforcement.

Someone is going to get flash banged and shot because their 13 year old got a "drone" from Target with allowance money and it wasn't registered.

13. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

It might be different in your country of course. In the UK the laws surrounding drones are still evolving due to them being quite a new trend. There are guidelines in place however. You can not fly a drone weighing less than 20kg within 150 metres of a congested area or near people. If you are exceeding the boundaries of your back garden then you could find the drone confiscated. If you are filming then there is a fine line between recreational filming and invasion of privacy.

For example you can't fly one into somebody's back garden and start filming their property. I would imagine the same applies to the front of somebody's property too. Much like you are free to take photographs in any public space and you don't even need somebody's permission to photograph them in the street, but it also falls under responsible use. You can't harass somebody with a camera, I.e stalk them or stand on the pavement outside their home with a 300mm lens taking photographs through their windows. It falls under the invasion of privacy law. If you intend to film for commercial use then you need written permission from the UK Civil Aviation Authority as drones are considered 'unmanned aircraft'.

Drones are a new thing entirely, but I expect stricter laws to come into place as they grow in popularity because at present there are too many loopholes to abuse.

People should probably make sure they have sufficient insurance cover too. This is the story I was referring to in my original post:

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/...l-on-drones-after-toddler-blinded-in-one-eye/

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

My point is that this law is only enforceable if you are caught. The FAA is not going to be tracking every drone on radar and sending F-16's over your property.

15. FieldingMellish Suspended

Ideally, drone in hand will lead one to its owner with the licensing.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Well obviously.

Like with any disturbance it more often than not requires somebody to report it. If your neighbour is flying over your property filming you then it can be reported. If a peeping Tom is looking through your bathroom window at your daughter, it can be reported. Drones can be a nuisance and I don't see how they are suddenly any different from RC planes or helicopters in terms of the law.

I just hope the 'rights' brigade don't get hold of this one and start demanding complete freedom to basically not give a damn about anybody else.

17. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

More laws... no enforcement or selected enforcement
    More laws... more fines
    More laws... bigger government

And the beat goes on.
    The Dems and Progressives love anything that will expand their morbidly obese government.

18. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

More laws and more fear mongering from a government trying to control various aspects of people's lives for no reason and, in continuum, feeding the publics fear mongering rhetoric, whether it be useless drone laws or threats of ISIS coming to kill us all (lindsay graham). What a time to be alive.

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Unfortunately as human beings we need laws and governance. We are a particularly stupid species after all, whether we like to admit it or not.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's a tough issue ... one that I don't pretend to know the answer to. In the area of film and photography drones allow you to do things that could not be done before. The initial attempts by the university where I worked produced great results ... before we grounded the drone over similar concerns brought up in this thread.

It may make more sense to regulate the control device instead of the drone, and limit the range within which it can operate.

I don't know.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You're all kind of a high strung lot, aren't you?

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I don't understand your concern. I don't understand your gun analogy, either. Are you worried about burglars? If I were a burglar, I would assume that the probability is that 3 out of every 10 houses (in the US) that I broke into had at least one firearm. What would you expect me, the burglar, to do with that?

Anyway, I would appreciate it if you don't fly your drone over my house. Thank you for your consideration.

23. PracticalMac, Dec 21, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The laws you ask for as ALREADY EXIST, have so for decades.

Registration a drone would not prevent such an accident, either, since the victim likely knew the person who caused it.

There is a huge difference between knowing who owns a drone, and the drone owner knowing how to operate a drone safely. (sp fix)

24. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Knowing someone has a $200 drone or gun makes them a target.
    Some burglars go after people with guns because besides being expensive there is a demand by criminals for guns.

And Registering does not prevent me from flying over your property either. I could fly one right up to your window and look inside, and you will not know it was me because the Reg # does not have to be displayed (only if you got lucky and it crashed and could find the number.

As I keep saying, the intent (safe drone usage) is good, but this requirement does little to keep people safe (which is education/information).

BTW, I have not seen any notice by drone merchants informing customers to register, so potentially hundreds of thousands of people will be in illegal possession of them .

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's an awfully large font. This must be an important issue to you.