iPhone XS Regret? I wanted a cheap iPhone and I ended up with an iPhone XS 256 GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phido, Dec 1, 2018.

1. phido macrumors newbie

phido

I'm sitting here with an unopened box of the iPhone XS 256 GB in front of me. I can't believe how much I paid for it

I had a 6S but I gave it to my sister. Originally I planned to buy a used iPhone 7 for 350 USD as a replacement.

Then I thought it's better to buy a new XR 64 GB. I always wanted FaceID and the gestures. Of course upgrading to the XR 128 GB seemed like a pretty good deal. It's the perfect amount of storage for not much more money. And lots of reviewers said the same.

Then I started to doubt whether I shouldn't get the XS 64 GB instead because it's just more comfortable to use with one hand (although the XR was more manageable than I expected) and I love taking pictures. But it's pretty expensive. After agonizing over it for a few days, I decided the zoom lens on the XS could be convenient and I could survive with 64 GB.

Before I went to the Apple Store I started to think that the XS 256 GB would be nice too. On my iPhone 6S I used more than 50 GB and it made me worry a bit. And I could start taking 4K videos too. I couldn't justify the big jump in price however. It seemed ridiculous to pay that much more for a storage upgrade. I could buy a small tablet instead.

While I was waiting in line to purchase the XS 64 GB, I changed my mind at the last moment and ended up buying the XS 256 GB instead. I thought it would give me more peace of mind.

Looking back now, it just seems crazy I bought it. If you had asked me a few days ago if I wanted to pay 1250 USD for a phone or 150 USD for additional storage, I would have said no way.

My whole decision process was one big mess with lots of cognitive distortions. Every upgrade seemed small but the final price is not.

And still I don't know whether I should return it or not...

2. se95dah macrumors member

se95dah

Take a breath. You’re ok! Take that thing back to the Apple store and get a refund.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

My favorite thing when selling phones were customers like yourself.
    Either they used very little storage or pushed their capacity to the limits.

I will delete pictures and other stuff.

The phone today is more than just a phone.
    With every iteration I find myself using more and more space.

I asked myself if it was more cost effective to micro manage the space on my phone of just enjoy being sloppy and spending a little more.

I purchased the 512 max this time and I love it. I have all my pictures, music, 15 full length movies (120 on my itunes which get rotated frequently) and I shot video after video without t worrying about space.

It comes down to how you use your phone.

More times than not the customer would come back in and say spending the extra $ for the space was worth it.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You got till after the first of the year. Open it up and use it. No better way to tell if you will like it.

Now if it was more money than your budget allows, maybe just return it and look for that 7+.

6. akash.nu macrumors 603

akash.nu

I mean if you need to think so much before buying anything then you shouldn’t really buy it. Just return it.

7. phido thread starter macrumors newbie

phido

There is no trial period where I'm living.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You had a 6s (as I do currently). You clearly hold onto devices for years so just enjoy the nice long ownership you’ll have with your new phone. If you keep it for 4+ years just think of it as a long term investment. That phone is going to age better than your 6s did.

9. phido thread starter macrumors newbie

phido

I was just surprised how quickly costs can spiral out of control. First time experiencing it like this :)

10. agente46 macrumors regular

My dilemma was the Xr 128 and the Xs 256.

In the end it just wasn’t worth it for me to spend half a grand more for the Xs. I’m using that money towards a family vacation instead and i’m happy with my decision.

If you have any doubts at all just return it because it’s better to live with satisfaction over regret.

11. phido thread starter macrumors newbie

phido

That's what I'm thinking now too. I know after a few days I won't care about the money anymore. A few hundred bucks more won't make any difference in my life. The phone on the other hand is something I use six hours a day.

12. LeeW macrumors 6502

LeeW

In the last few weeks I have spent $2k on a Mac Mini, $1k on the Xs, $330 on another iPad, new space grey magic keyboard $149 and space grey Magic mouse at $99.

That should make you feel less bad about buying the phone. Someone else will be along shortly to make me feel better saying they have spent twice as much as I have... :)

13. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

$800 for 128 XR vs $1150 for 256 XS

I think 128 XR is the way to go from 6s, or a refurbished 8/8+ if you wanna save even more and stay touchID/same design-ish

14. Plett macrumors regular

Plett

With that kind of buyers remorse so soon, I would return it. Not worth the emotional distress to you.

15. SHKLMRE macrumors 6502

“I can’t believe how much I paid for it”
    Return it. Get it over with and be at ease.

16. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Did you buy it at an Apple Store in the US? If so, they should be under the holiday return policy. Check the receipt.

Your posts would imply that you bought it at an US Apple Store.

17. frosty18 macrumors member

frosty18

If you're budget really cannot allow for it and it's going to put you in a tight spot for the next few months then please return it. If you can make it work then I say just enjoy it and treat yourself

18. cub4bearin macrumors regular

I was at your place not so long ago. Got the XR 128gb. Didn’t like the size and missed zoom on camera. Returned it. Got the XS 256GB and it hit me!
    That was week before Black Friday. Decided that I can get little in return by taking advantage of special offers. Returned the XS 256GB and got XS 64GB (after I cleaned a lot of junk from my 6s, I only used 30GB) which at the end was plenty to enjoy and saved me $150.

I love the phone. I was able managed the space and earased lots of junk. Still have everything I want to have and use.
    Also got $300 back in Walmart gift card, which I’m planning to use for gas purchases. That money would normally go from my bank account, so I’ll take that $300 out and applied to iPhone ATT next payment. That way my iPhone XS 64GB was only $700 plus taxes.

19. pika2000 macrumors 601

1. Spent more than $1k as an impulse purchase
    2. Ask a public forum for an opinion
    3. ...
    4. Profit?

First world problem at its finest. :D
    Nothing against the OP though, enjoy your purchase.

20. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

If I was ballin on a budget I would go for the XR or a used X

21. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Well it’s cheaper than the max so you did fulfill some aspect of your criteria.

22. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

Just don’t buy another phone for 4 yrs. that’s how I justified spending that’s much on my max.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 2, 2018 ---
    Ya I’m sure the phone will be used well capturing memories and the like

23. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

This story is the reason why Apple won't likely increase the base storage to 128GB any time soon.

24. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

4 years feel like awhile to wait for me at least.

I think right now if there are some deals on a used iPhone X that might not be a bad idea if you’re ballin on a budget.

It’s season now for deals.

Or just the XR. Seems basically like an X if you don’t read the details too much and just use it. Like just use the screen instead of comparing it to the OLEDs, just use the camera and see if the pics are good instead of finding it’s short falls to better cameras on the market, just use the thing and see if it’s great and if not then try something else I guess.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the OP raises a concern that many are having with these new iPhones, because they are so expensive, are they worth keeping? We all know the XS is a great iPhone, but many cannot justify the price because of all the features they may not use or appreciate. Which leads others to believe, would they have been fine with an older model iPhone that does everything they need it to or a substantially cheaper XR.

To me, this is the dilemma that consumers are facing, is Apple’s price points are not consumer friendly, at least without the help of monthly carrier payments. The technology is great, but it doesn’t change the fact ‘It still is a phone’’.