"Regular" 4G VZW sim does not seem to work in VZW iPad for PREPAID account.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TB07-NJ, Mar 27, 2012.

1. TB07-NJ, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. patricem macrumors 6502

patricem

That is a bummer as other posters were saying it's hard to get this prepaid sim. So if you activate then fail to reactivate again within 5 mos then what? If you can't get another sim that works?

3. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

That's exactly the issue. My guess is over the next weeks VZW will get their act together and have sims for which they will charge some exorbitant fee.

4. astral125 macrumors 6502

I have a regular post paid sim that works in my iPad. I think the trick is to have it activated prior to putting it in the iPad. I took mine out of my Mifi which I had been using for about 8 months. I log into Verizon's website and it now shows my iPad under "my device" instead of my Mifi.

5. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Glad to hear that but please read the topic subject and the OP. We're not talking about a postpaid sim or using a preactivated sim or a sim from another device. The discussion is that it seems Verizon will not provide you with a replacement PRE-PAID sim if yours gets disabled or damaged or doesn't work at all and right now there is no way to get a replacement PRE-PAID sim. I was hoping an UNUSED "regular" VZW sim could be activated as a new pre-paid account just as ATT & T-Mo allow but it seems that is not the case.

6. astral125 macrumors 6502

I did read it. The OP is talking about both kinds of sim cards:

I was giving advice on this part.

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Verizon doesn't even offer 4G LTE Prepaid SIM cards, so I have no idea how you got that.

8. TB07-NJ, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

I am the OP. I was talking about ATTEMPTING to use a new clean unactivated "regular" VZW sim to create a PRE-PAID account.

As per the thread subject: "Regular" 4G VZW sim does not seem to work in VZW iPad for PREPAID account.

----------

Well, they don't "offer" them but they have them or can get one. You just need to work around all the morons in the store until you find one who will give it to you without trying to first scam you into a POSTpaid account without telling you what they are doing. :D

9. trosa24 macrumors newbie

Correct

Exactly. The sim is the same. It's just a matter of activating it on either a post paid or pre paid account.

And to the OP, im pretty sure you can get that sim you ordered on eBay to work. It's just a matter of resetting some settings and reprovisioning. Maybe that sim card wasnt good.

10. astral125 macrumors 6502

Ah, then I misunderstood.

11. trosa24 macrumors newbie

Can anyone else shed light on this?

There are a few threads on this problem with Verizon.

Anyone else have success with replacing the sim card?

12. lovespicyfood macrumors member

I bought my IPad on the release date from Verizon. I did not know there was a difference in post paid and pre paid sims. The Verizon store would not let me buy the unit unless I activated it and attached it to my cell account. I did not care and knew I was going to cancel anyways. Then after bringing it home, I learned of this issue.

Went to the Apple Store and explained the situation and asked them if they thought Verizon would give me a pre paid sim. To my delight, the Apple genius went to the back and gave me a pre paid sim. This was with no proof of purchase and I did not have the IPad with me!

I popped the card in but have not activated it yet. However, I can go into the cell menu from settings and it shows me info to setup a pre paid account and options to select/buy.

Pete

13. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

I brought my Ipad from Verizon on day of release and they did activated it on post paid which I did not want. The next day went to Verizon store and told them I did not want post paid I wanted to activate it myself just like I do on my Ipad2. They swap out the sim card and I was able to activate it prepaid myself.

14. trosa24 macrumors newbie

Which Verizon store did you go to in Nj?

I went to the one in secacus, it was like asking for a pint of blood from them.
    They refused to give me a sim unless they "set it up" for me. (on post paid, which I had already cancelled)

Terrible experience with Verizon thus far.

Anyone else with this problem please reply with your experience. So others in the same boat know what to do.

Like I said before, I just ended up buying a micro 4G sim on eBay.

15. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

North Brunswick Route 1 went to Technical Support.

16. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Reset what settings? It was brand new and still in the card. There was nothing to reset. I put it in the iPad and filled out all the information to setup my account and got "Sorry, we cannot activate your account, call xxxxxx." When I looked at my credit card online there were multiple "pending" authorizations for $0.00 but nothing showing up in VZW's system. The fact the auths were for $0.00 and not $20.00 was showing the account setup "software" part was working but the sim simply could not be activated.

Spoke with multiple levels and multiple departments and the answer was:

Go to a store and get a new sim (impossible because they claim there are none) or go to Apple because there is probably something wrong with your iPad.

How can you reprovision a brand new sim that has never been provisioned in the first place? The sim MAY be bad but there is no way to tell. It was a new one and the ICCID was valid according to VZW.

The point is, you can't waltz into VZW and get a replacement as they tell you that you need a "special" sim whether it is true or not. I may try ordering another one just in case it was bad, but somehow I think the chances of that are slim.

17. trosa24 macrumors newbie

It seems like half of the staff in store and even over the phone are incompetent.
    There were things I knew that they didn't. In the store the ignoramus said the iPad needs a special sim which is ********. She then realized I was right after looking it up in Verizon's system and even then still refused to give me a sim card.

Even over the phone they were useless. I kept trying to get them to call a store and arrange for me to pick one up with no questions asked. They "couldn't" do that. Customer care cannot call COMPANY store and arrange that? I've never seen a company where the actual stores do what they want and don't comply with customer care. It's a joke.

At the end of the day it's a 0.10 cent piece of plastic they are giving us such a hard time for. It's not like we're going in asking for a free phone. We just want the iPad we bought to WORK. Bottom line they're still going to make money from us, why the hassle?

Not to mention on launch day, Verizon's website didn't have the option to buy the 4G iPad without service. (which they do now) Instead, they force you to activate it on a post paid account. That should be some type of lawsuit in itself. Seeing as apple designed the iPad to be user friendly when setting up your data plan THROUGH THE DEVICE, not through some maze the carrier wants you to go through.

I emailed Tim Cook (tcook@apple.com) about it with links to the threads in this forum where others are being strongarmed by Verizon and they're Monkey process of complicating this whole thing. Everyone else should do the same if Verizon doesn't let you use the data on your iPad in the way apple intended.

/rant

18. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I did get a "regular" micro-SIM and it didn't work. Thinking maybe the SIM was bad I just ordered another one from a different seller. If that one doesn't work then just maybe they are right. I just can't imagine having a new bad sim.

This is the one I just ordered: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290686170016

19. trosa24 macrumors newbie

Hopefully by the next iPad launch, AT&T's LTE network will be as widespread as Verizon's. Then I can give big red the finger and go with AT&T.

20. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

The good thing is my ATT sim from my iPad 2 works fine in the VZW iPad. Don't get LTE but do get consistent 8-10MBps which is probably 5x more than I need to do what I need to do.

21. trosa24 macrumors newbie

I'm sure there are a ton of people having this sim card issue.

Is it that hard to figure out where no one has come up with an "official" fix for this problem?

22. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

Verizon Sim Activation Hotline (this isn't the normal Customer Service Rep, it's specifically activating Sim's)

1-877-807-4646

See if this helps.

23. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

Been there, done that. First they sent me to the Pre-Paid dept then back to these folks who told me to either get a new sim or return the iPad to Apple.

24. trosa24 macrumors newbie

Any updates on your situation?

25. trosa24 macrumors newbie

Funny it says this on apples website on the iPad purchase page:

Easy sign-up
    You sign up for data service right on your iPad. And you can monitor your data usage and change your plan at any time, including adding data or canceling service if you know you won’t need it.