Reid: White House options for 2020 resemble ‘an old-folks’ home’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, Dec 28, 2016.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Now that he's on the way out, Harry can tell the truth at last:

The likely 2020 class of Democratic presidential candidates is starting to resemble “an old-folks’ home,” according to retiring Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid.

Reid recently told an aide that he was unsure whether he would support Vice President Joe Biden should he challenge President-elect Donald Trump for the White House in 2020 because the field has yet to take shape.

“It depends on who’s running,” Reid told the staffer, according to a New York Magazine profile of the Nevada Democrat published online Tuesday. “We’ve got [Elizabeth] Warren; she’ll be 71. Biden will be 78. Bernie [Sanders] will be 79.”

Indeed, as the Democratic Party looks to pick up the pieces from a tough November showing that shattered their hopes to keep the White House, make deep inroads in the House and retake the Senate, a roster of familiar faces has surfaced as top contenders for the next presidential election.

Biden repeatedly teased a 2020 run earlier this month but eventually conceded that he has “no plans” to run for president. Sanders is unlikely to run another presidential campaign, although he has said he will seek reelection for another six-year term in the Senate in 2018.
    Things are looking grim indeed for the Dems. Who can they run? Last week somebody mentioned Keith Ellison as a potential candidate...oh please oh please oh please!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Oh please as in you like him or oh please as in he would be easy to beat. I know next to nothing about him. As far as Biden and Bernie go, I can't see them running at all. Maybe Warren...
    --- Post Merged, Dec 28, 2016 ---
    Yeah but a fine wine like that only gets better with age.

4. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Oh please as in he's extremely beatable.

Yeah but a fine wine like that only gets better with age.[/QUOTE]

Trump may not even run in four years if he's accomplished what he intended. Then Pence will get a shot, and he'll be in his sixties.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you think his religion makes him beatable?

6. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Not at all. It's his extreme views and the extremists that support him that make him beatable.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Trump may not even run in four years if he's accomplished what he intended. Then Pence will get a shot, and he'll be in his sixties.[/QUOTE]

I would think that he would be the first "successful" President in history to not run for a second.

Of course. No way a Muslim could win in four years. Well, maybe if he ran against an Atheist. We are still less trusted than any religious person.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Care to elaborate? What is extreme about joining the rest of the world's consensus that healthcare is a human right?

Now, domestically I'm just ok with Ellison. Foreign policy wise, he's the same type of liberal hawk as Sanders and Warren, which I have massive issues with.

9. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m hoping for current CA lieutenant governor Gavin Newsome because he’s also Batman.

[​IMG]

10. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

He was Farrakhan's BFF and has compared Bush to Hitler, and the terror attacks on 9/11 to the Reichstag fire. There's even more, but that'll do for starters.

I wouldn't expect that you'll find a deal-breaker in Ellison's past, but most Americans will.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Don't give two ***** about Farrakhan.

"9/11 is the juggernaut in American history and it allows... it's almost like, you know, the Reichstag fire,” Ellison said, according to a Daily Telegraph report at the time. “After the Reichstag was burned, they blamed the Communists for it, and it put the leader of that country [Hitler] in a position where he could basically have authority to do whatever he wanted."

^I don't see the problem with the logic in that. Note I wrote LOGIC. Unless of course you're suggesting that the USA didn't give the president nearly unlimited war powers in response to 9/11...seeing as that same power is in place 15 years later.

Now, I know you've been triggered by the Hitler insertion there, but that clearly was not the point of the comment....as you know but facetiously pretend not to.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's basically @Jess13's position.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He'd be correct too. The USA responded to 9/11 by handing over completely unrestricted war fighting capabilities and haven't chimed in once (officially, they've talked quite a bit for show) since then to repeal them.

14. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

If by "logic" you mean Ellison's twisted belief that Bush used the attack on 9/11 as an excuse to attack Islam the way Hitler used the Reichstag fire as an excuse to go after Communists, well, it's nonsense and only a nutcase who followed Farrakhan could swallow it.

Get real! If you read history at all, you'd know why Hitler and the Reichstag fire go together.

15. Jess13, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Meanwhile, a smart, young, brave, beautiful woman named Tulsi Gabbard.

gs_5267d7c7-428c-4a25-b723-6dd50aa613db.jpg
    Nominate her in 2020 and beat Trump. Seeing how dumb the Democrat party went for 2016, forcing possibly the worst candidate ever upon voters, I am not getting my hopes up. But Tulsi has my full support in 2020.

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

He isn't e"wrong, even now it looks like Heavens waiting Room.

17. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You'd think she'd be the top contender, but she's against LGBT rights (same-sex marriage and civil unions), so that's that.

18. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I actually had a nice chat with Tulsi over smoothies on my last trip to Honolulu.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Apparently you're incapable of reading. That's not what he said, and it takes some twisted ****ing logic to get there. He's clearly talking about the power that was given in response. I even underlined. Hell, I'll post it again, underlined and italicized so you don't have to strain so hard to misread it.

“After the Reichstag was burned, they blamed the Communists for it, and it put the leader of that country [Hitler] in a position where he could basically have authority to do whatever he wanted."

20. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

"Do whatever he wanted" meaning attack Islam. Any other reading of that context is ignorant.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Who is far too hawkish in the ME for me. Also she's the democratic version of islamaphobic, that is to say she's not an ******* about it, but it's still there. She's the "soft" face of "smart wars" (a disgusting rebranding of empire touted from our current president).

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liber...bic-politics-dem-congressmember-tulsi-gabbard
    No, it means wage war in countries throughout the planet without congressional approval, wiping your ass with due process, approving torture, etc.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not true - https://www.votetulsi.com/node/25012

23. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

OK, I'll give this one more try and then assume you can't be swayed by facts. This is what Hitler did with the Reichstag fire:

The government falsely portrayed the fire as part of a Communist effort to overthrow the state
    So by comparing Bush with Hitler, and 9/11 with the Reichstag fire, Ellison is implying that 9/11 was an excuse to go after Islam.
    True!

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I understand exactly what happened with Hitler's propaganda using the fire. I'm also capable of understanding what was clearly written without having to go to an outside link to pre-seed a false comparison.

Are you claiming that the analogy of handing over more power to ruler X, in response to incident Y, does not apply aptly to Congresses authorization for limitless warfare in response to 9/11?

Are you really incapable of acknowledging that its the power grab itself that is being discussed by Ellison here?

That last question was rhetorical, we all know who and what you are.

25. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

I read that previously, Alternet jumped the shark (Tulsi casually surfed away from it). Tulsi Gabbard is the bravest and realest Democrat—and woman—in Congress, going right for Obama, CIA, and pro-terrorism “allies” jugulars:

H.R. 6504

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/6504/text

To prohibit the use of United States Government funds to provide assistance to Al Qaeda, Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and to countries supporting those organizations, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. PROHIBITION ON USE OF FUNDS TO PROVIDE COVERED ASSISTANCE TO AL QAEDA, JABHAT FATEH AL-SHAM, AND ISIL, AND TO COUNTRIES SUPPORTING THOSE ORGANIZATIONS.

[...]

(2) COVERED ASSISTANCE.—The term “covered assistance” means—

(A) defense articles, defense services, training or logistical support, or any other military assistance provided by grant, loan, credit, transfer, or cash sales;

(B) intelligence sharing; or

(C) cash assistance.​