Reinforced two beliefs - (1) Amazon is awesome (2) it never hurts to ask

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GleepGlop, Nov 22, 2013.

1. GleepGlop macrumors newbie

Don't be afraid to ask. Ask the girl or guy out for a drink. Ask for a raise. E-mail your favorite author and pick his/her brain. Just be polite and self aware. You don't know the answer until you ask and the worst anyone can say is no.

[​IMG]

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wow, that is actually pretty awesome. I am pleased to see that you admit the absolute absurdity of your request, the fact that you ordered something that you knew was out of stock and had the walnuts to tell them that you're impatient and to ease things you wish to be upgraded for the same price, and that you were honest the entire way through. Although it is entirely your fault for ordering something on backorder, they did very right by you. This will likely catch on and bite them in the butt, but still it is cool.

Good work and really, thanks for sharing. I'm off to order a bunch of stuff from Amazon that is on back order and start writing e-mails!

3. GleepGlop thread starter macrumors newbie

4. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Slight correction: It never hurts to ask nicely.

It never ceases to amaze me how far you can get by just being nice. Even when my colleagues moan that they can't get X from department Y, more often than not politely and deferentially making the request often does the trick.

Well done!

David

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's great! I have always loved Amazon and their customer service.

6. Rocketpaul, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

Rocketpaul macrumors regular

I would like to think of myself of someone who can negotiate a good deal, but this is out of my league. I wouldn't have even thought of this, this took balls of steel, this sir is very well played.

7. leman macrumors 604

They also have low wages and work their personnel half to death, but I guess you can't have everything. I do agree that it was very nice gesture of them though.

8. thekb macrumors 6502a

And I have a slight correction to this.

When you are asking for something absurd like this, and essentially throwing yourself on their mercy to do something nice for you, then yes, being nice and humble is the only way to go.

When you are trying to get something corrected and they are not doing the right thing after asking politely, then you have to engage jerk mode.

It is amazing how being nice can get people to do nice things for you. But unfortunately, it is also amazing how being a jerk can get them to do the right thing when they are doing you wrong. In that case, asking meekly will usually get you nowhere.

9. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Even so, it's best to start off meek and polite and go from there. If you go nuclear off the bat, that's often a recipe for not getting anywhere and staying stuck there.

10. thekb macrumors 6502a

Agree 100%. Always ask nicely and try to resolve diplomatically. But, unfortunately they sometimes think of you as a pushover then and try to ignore your very reasonable request.

11. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

I suspect if I sent the same email I would get a polite no. But then, I've spent probably a total of $100 at amazon over the last couple of years. It not only helps to be polite, it helps if you're a repeat customer.

12. nStyle macrumors 6502a

I hope if any company dethrones Walmart in the retail sector in general, it's Amazon.

I do think that you're doing them somewhat of a disservice by posting this here though. This was between you and Amazon and not the world. Sure they've probably did this for others, but its the principle.

13. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

Yea, I wonder how many people are trying to replicate this deal now. lol

14. moxxey macrumors regular

And pay no (or very little) corporate tax, which enables them to earn the profits to give you exceptional customer services.

15. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

sweet

Congrats, OP.

Nicely played because you played nice. :D

Enjoy your new rMBP.

16. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

Reinforced two beliefs - (1) Amazon is awesome (2) it never hurts to ask

Congrats on your good fortune. I have had good luck with Amazon in the past, too. The above quote really rang true for me. Guys, how many times have you seen a beautiful girl at the mall, at the grocery store, at the coffee shop, that you're just dying to talk to? If you're like me I bet it's pretty often. Now, ever see the guy out at the movies, at a restaurant, at a bar with a beautiful girl on his arm and wonder "What does he have that I don't?" The answer? He asked. And he did so nicely. Sorry for the off-topic rant, but it's the absolute truth. It's amazing how far you can get by just growing a pair and taking the plunge. Get out there. Do it.