reinstall 10.6.2 combo update on top of 10.6.2?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by paulyras, Mar 22, 2010.

1. paulyras macrumors 6502

I've been having some issues with Mail (long story- anything after an image or an attachment in a message I create is showing up as a .htm or .txt file) and one suggestion that someone made was to download the 10.6.2 combo update and try to reinstall it to ensure that everything is all up to snuff.

Strangely, when I DL'd the combo update and tried to run it, my hard drive showed up with an exclamation mark and said I couldn't install it. Can one typically install the update on itself?

Also, is there any chance in heck that it will actually make a difference (friendly wagers here are fine, as I don't expect anyone to know for sure)?

Thanks,

P

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, I don't think you will be able to install the update on top of the update

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This has worked with past versions of Mac OS X. Not sure why it wouldn't with Snow Leopard.

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I have never had any probs running the combo in sl.

5. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I've installed Combo updates on top of past Leopard installations with the same version and it has fixed things. I have 10.6.2 installed and I just opened the 10.6.2 combo updater. It showed my hard drive as capable for the installation. Are you sure you have the right combo updater? It should be 503.3MB.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My apologies then, I stand corrected
    Isn't the first time and won't be the last :eek:

7. paulyras thread starter macrumors 6502

Huh. It only showed 480mb in Safari's downloads window for me, and said 479mb on Apple's site. This is where I got it from... http://support.apple.com/kb/dl959 Am I looking at the wrong version?

I've attached an image of the error I get. Thanks for all of your help.

BTW- I'm on a 27" i5 imac

Attached Files:

8. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Wonder if you are running a special build of 10.6.2 because you are on one of the newer iMacs?

What build are you using? Go to System Profiler, and click on the main Software category. First line in there should be something like this:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)

If you are running a special build, then you wouldn't be able to install a combo updater until 10.6.3 which would include all the drivers for your machine....possibly?

Software update works because it checks what machine you are on.....but I think once the Combo update is created, it's done, no new drivers for any machine that comes out after it.

Just my guess.

-Kevin

9. paulyras thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Kevin-

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Here's the build info. Clearly not 10C540.

I guess I'm waiting for 10.6.3 (today perhaps?)

Paul

Attached Files: