Reinstalled Mountain Lion, now iPhone won't sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fontane, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

Reinstalled Mountain Lion on my MBA and now my iPhone won't sync to iTunes because it thinks it's a different computer. iTunes wants me to erase the iPhone to sync it with this copy.

I don't use iTunes for much of anything because I don't keep music or videos on my phone and I do all my backups to icloud. However, now I want to copy an audio book (MP3s) to my iphone and was trying to use itunes to do it.

Can anyone tell me if it's safe to select the option to erase my iphone? i.e. will I be able to easily restore from icloud?

and,

Is there an easier/better way to get the audio book MP3s on my iphone?

Thanks!

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you have all your music in iTunes, then it's safe but it takes a while because all songs will be copied again to the phone. Before you wipe your hard drive the next time, make sure to backup your iTunes library.

3. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't realize that erasing my phone isn't akin to resetting it -- it was simply erasing the itunes content and replacing it with the new itunes content. For me, that was nothing since I previously did not use itunes and had no content. All is good now.