Reinstalled OSX (10.5.6), Can I restore my Applications from a Time Machine backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrpeepers, Jan 30, 2009.

1. mrpeepers macrumors regular

Here's what I got going on.

I reinstalled OSX, clean install.
    I kept my Time Machine backups so I can go back and retrieve anything I want.

When I connect my iPhone and iTunes pops up :D. The phone syncs. When I view the iPhone in iTunes all the applications are gone, can I restore my applications from a previous backup in Time Machine? I have seen the prompt from iTunes that says if you sync, blah blah, you will erase all the applications on your iphone.

That really is the big kicker. Do I have to wipe out all the applications on my iPhone and re-download them from my iPhone? Can I restore them?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They're somewhere in time machine, but I'm not sure where Applications go.

Go download a new application in iTunes and then find it on the hard drive. Once you find that folder you'll know what to look for. Restore everything to there and you should be fine.

3. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Your iPhone applications (.ipa files) are stored in your /Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/ directory. So if you can go through your Time Machine backup, have a look there.

If you do find them, then you only need to drag them onto the iTunes windows on 'Library' (top left pane) to add them back. Then you can sync your phone.