Reinstalling OSX – What happens to my boot camp install?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hamsterburger, Mar 17, 2010.

1. hamsterburger macrumors member

I have recently been having problems with OSX. It has gotten so bad that I can’t even boot into OSX anymore. My Windows 7 bootcamp install works perfectly though.

I’d like to reinstall OSX. What will happen to my windows install? Will reinstalling OSX somehow damage my Windows partition?

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not if you install it to the HFS+ partition on your HDD.

I'd boot from the install CD. Run Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, and erase the contents of the HFS+ (Mac) partition. (clean slate).

Then return to the installer and select the newly erased drive as the target of the install.

EDIT: To be safe, make sure you back up your Windows partition anyhow. You can use Winclone for this easily.

B

3. hamsterburger thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks for that info. I dont really have any files that need backing up om the windows partition, but it would have been a major hassle to have to reinstall boot camp and all the programs.

:)

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Better safe than sorry! A quick backup will allow you for a quick recovery when (not if) things go wrong.

B

5. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

It will do nothing to your bootcamp partition. You should be fine.

6. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

I don't think the OP can use Winclone given that OS X isn't working.

A windows side back up will have to suffice.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If the OP has an external drive (which they should anyhow to store the winclone image) they can install OS X to that, boot from it and use winclone that way before re-installing on the internal drive.

B