Reject Obama's Nomination of Michele Leonhart For DEA Director

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yOGi420™, May 10, 2010.

1. yOGi420™ macrumors member

yOGi420™

President Barack Obama has nominated Michele Leonhart to head the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. NORML is asking you to contact your Senator today and urge him or her to reject this nomination.

As interim director, Ms. Leonhart has obstructed efforts to end the destructive conflict between federal and state medical marijuana laws while overseeing federal raids and arrests in disregard of state law - contrary to the present policy of this administration.

Furthermore, she has blocked scientific research on medical marijuana, in disregard of this administration's pledge to let science, rather than ideology, guide public policy.

In particular, Ms. Leonhart has neglected to reply to an eight-year old petition to reschedule marijuana for medical use, which is supported by NORML and was called for by the AMA and a growing number of states and federal judges.

She has further denied the application of the University of Massachusetts to establish a research facility for FDA development of marijuana, overruling the recommendation of the DEA's own administrative law judge that this was not in the public interest.

Ms. Leonhart has incomprehensibly called the rising death toll civilians attributable to the U.S./Mexican drug war "a signpost of the success" of her agency's policies.

Ms. Leonhart's actions and ambitions are incompatible with common sense marijuana law reform and the stated policies of this administration. Please urge Congress to reject this nomination. For your convenience, a prewritten letter will be e-mailed to your member of the U.S. Senate when you visit NORML's 'Take Action' Center here:

Contact Officials - NORML

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Thanks for that heads up..

Signed and delivered. We do NOT need more obstructionism.

This should be in the PRSI forums though.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

...and three...two...one......

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Are you counting down how many macrumors moderators there are left TV :D!

5. Azmontana macrumors regular

Azmontana

I'm guessing you smoke pot?

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm not following this news (I'm not American), and I have no reason to come to the conclusion that I have, but I am sceptical of many of the things you said about Michele Leonhart.

If this woman was so opposed to all of Obama's ideologies, she probably wouldn't have been nominated for the position of DEA Director by Obama.

Unless you actually provide references from trustworthy sources, for every statement you said about her, it's hard to believe all of that.

I can't contribute to your cause anyway, so perhaps my opinion isn't of my importance to you, but there it is anyway.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

At least one!

[Moved to PSRI]

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Haha and you're my favourite one too yellow :D!

9. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Okay, I hadn't heard much about this woman, but what I've just read makes me not want to have her in any law-enforcement capacity, let alone head of the DEA:

From an article about her on StoptheDrugWar.org:

The use of "professional" informants in police work is shaky as is. Using chronic perjurers...wrong. So wrong.

I don't know what the hell's going on in the West Wing...

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Business as usual.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

She needs to go. I signed.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Is this really a big deal? Isn't this what drug enforcement agencies usually do? Worldwide?

I mean I'm pro-drugs legalisation too, but in terms of what's worth fighting for things like gay-marriage have to be more important.

The only thing that's really going to make any difference to the Mexican's problems with drugs gangs for example is the full legalisation of cocaine - which isn't going to happen any time soon.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'd like if our agency enforced a realistic and effective campaign rather than just pander to the anti drug crowd (that it has helped create). The whole war on drugs is a farce, waste of money, and entirely ineffective.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Totally agreed, but again I think it shouldn't be that high up on the list of priorities. Climate change and banking reform are way more important.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes, but the thing about a legitimate government (not just administration) is the ability to get separate things done at the same time, it's not one or the other.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. I'm tired of this attitude of "this isn't a priority, blah blah blah...". All that means is that something is getting swept under the rug. Look what happened with DADT. This is no different.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly what I was getting at. If a government can't handle more than one major issue at a time then it isn't effective. That said, there are a TON of issues Obama has to deal with. Thing is, government is FAR more than just the Executive.