Reliability of cellular web surfing in iOS 5.1 is worse

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by arko02, Mar 11, 2012.

1. arko02 macrumors newbie

Hi, a couple of days ago I upgraded my iPhone 4 from iOS 4.3.1 to iOS 5.1 (I skipped the initial 5.0 release because I was worried about battery life), and since doing so, I've noticed that the reliability of web surfing over the cellular network is quite a bit worse... that is, often when I press a link, the blue bar in Safari won't start moving at all, and the page will not even begin to load, however slowly.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced a problem like this, and if restoring my phone to factory settings might help this problem? Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe its the website that is slow or is not loading?

3. arko02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, I guess this could be it, except that I've tried many sites (often quite major ones, like www.apple.com, or gmail.com etc), and they usually load fine on the computer (or iPhone) over wi-fi. This is what was making me think it's some kind of problem with the iPhone's connection to the cellular network.

4. MaxMichael macrumors member

Since iOS 5 I've noticed that sometimes clicking a link will do nothing and I'll have to hold it for a while and then click open when the options appear, a restore didn't fix this either.

5. og3og macrumors member

og3og

I too have noticed this. I have AT&T and notice it most in places where I now get the 4G icon. It feels like my phone is being throttled but I checked my usage and was below 1gb and did not receive any texts from AT&T. It's so brutal at times I want to throw my phone against a wall.

6. arko02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the posts... I've tried a few things, like restoring the phone as a new phone, and so far I seem to be having moderate success with web browsing (and other internet things) over the cellular network... at least it does seem like it could be an awful lot worse... but will keep you posted on how I go!

7. arko02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, just wanted to let you know, I've found that it's really just a matter of giving it time to load something, whether that be an email or a webpage... maybe sometimes it didn't load quite as quickly as I would have expected, but I've found that internet connectivity nearly always works if given enough time.