Religious children found to be less generous

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Eraserhead, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

Point 1 - who or what would endeavor to make such a study and why?

Point 2 - who or what would fund it?

Point 3 - will they extend their study to determine same among sexes, gays versus straights, races?

3. Eraserhead thread starter macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why not?

4. sim667 macrumors 65816

Sex and race isn't a choice, religion is.

5. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Is it? Pretty sure the children in the study didn't choose to be raised by religious parents.

6. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I prefer the alternative headlines.

- Richer people more generous than poor people
    - Older children more generous that younger children

7. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

1. The who "Jean Decety,Jason M. Cowell, Kang Lee, Randa Mahasneh, Susan Malcolm-Smith, Bilge Selcuk, Xinyue Zhou. As for the why, studies are done on just about any and everything. There is no reason a study like this would be off limits.

2. The sponser "This research was supported by a grant from the John Templeton Foundation"

3. "To examine the influence of religion on the expression of altruism", so no they don't really have a need to given that the study and what you ask are two very distinct points. This wasn't a study about kids from hetero families vs same sex couples or of different races but completely religion/non-religion based.

Link to study that answers all those questions for you
    http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(15)01167-7

8. A.Goldberg, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Maybe my post didn't go through here, previously but this study's "results" are not results mentioned in the data. The conclusions drawn I believe are not in line with the data's suggestions.

First off, only Christians and Muslims are correlated, not all **religions. The study's samples of other religions were too small.

The statistically significant differences are necessarily practically significant. If I remember correctly, out of 30 stickers, the non religious gave away 4 stickers, the Christians gave away 3.5. The Muslims gave away 3. Big deal? That's for you to decide.

The most accurate predicting factor alone was socioeconomic status, religiousness, and age. The graphic they use however only religiousness and age vs. generosity.

Muslims were more punitive than Christians and non-Reigious (who had no difference). This translates into religious people are more punitive how?

The methods of this study and actual data are not well described. Quite frankly, I have little way of knowing what went on here. The conclusions drawn are not accurate in the article.

9. sim667, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2015

sim667 macrumors 65816

No. Obviously not.

But religion is incomparable to orientation, gender or race, as @FieldingMellish suggests in post 2. Which was more my point ;)

Interestingly muslims pay a islamic tax (i forget what its called), which is then used for charitable purposes.

I know christians make donations in church, but that all goes straight in the church funds (well it does in CofE uk churches anyway)

10. FieldingMellish Suspended

But of course! Atheism and one of the many heads of the persistently animated hydra that is George Soros.

11. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You got that from my how?

12. Meister Suspended

Meister

I don't know how many people on here have actually worked on a study.
    I have. Many times.

When it comes to studies about peoples opinions the accuracy of the results is in most cases terrible. And that's an understatement.

I just hope they didn't waste tax money on this nonsense.

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I believe it's called zakat. Jews have tzedekah, typically suggested at 10% - though this is by no means manditory. I'm not sure what the Christian expectation is, if anything specific.

I've read things in the past (granted without reading the actual studies) that say statistically Jews donate make more donations and of higher amounts than non-Jews (probably makes sense considering higher average economic status) and religious people donate more than non-religious.

Again, if someone gives 4 stickers versus 3.5 versus 3... Out of 30, I'm not sure that's practically significant. That's roughly 13%, 11.5%, and 10% of their sticker "incomes".

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

"This research was supported by a grant from the John Templeton Foundation"

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

It's still pseudoscience.
    They might as well throw chickenbones.

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm curious why they would dare to push to publish such blasphemy.

But really shame on Cellular Biology (a journal I can't recall ever reading) for publishing this stuff. They must be looking to boost their impact rating (currently somewhere around 4 or 5).

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I wonder if it depends on the type of charity too?

It would be interesting to see how many Catholics donate to HIV research or Shelter for example lol. I know certain members of my family wouldn't especially the more devout Roman Catholics.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What is the best way to live? How large is God? How are finite beings related to the infinite? What was God's purpose in creating the universe? How can we be helpful? These ageless questions can inspire people today just as they have inspired people throughout the ages, linking the human soul to philosophy and to the love of wisdom.

—Sir John Templeton

He sounds like a nut job

19. 63dot, Nov 10, 2015

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I usually don't agree with you but stats are part of what I did in grad school and what you are saying is right on.

Studies are politically motivated and they are hooey, although some are fancy hooey and harder to spot the bad math.

The authors of any study can skew it either way, even from the same data. It's been pointed out how, but it's subtle.

But in essence the faulty study, like most are, is not unlike our election season. When I turn on Fox, it's obvious they hate Trump (although for different reasons than I hate him), but it's totally obvious he is in first or second place. But they always bring up that while he has 25% percent, then that means 75% percent "hate" him. While possible, it's not very probable.

This study does not really show Christians as that much different but emphasize the non-religious as more generous. This study is in a climate where Christians are being vilified and lumped into the worst elements of the GOP, as if Christians are all fascists:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/06/06/736685/-What-is-Christofascism

It's not stated, but implied, and the study or article wants to promote the idea that Christianity makes a greedier person and that's a very simplistic conclusion and targeted against maybe not Christians, but conservatives.

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

This is true for all studies.

However with studies about peoples opinions it is even worse, because of the way the data is obtained.

21. A.Goldberg, Nov 10, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Yes, aside from the number of stickers given away, it's all based on survey scales of feelings. I feel these are especially inaccurate for children. I'm not familiar with the research methods they used and their reliability/validity.

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

IMO society in general has become more selfish in the last few decades. Even though most people in the western world are better off than before, people in general are far less generous, and caring for one another. Today we don't see mankind as a whole, we only see our own group/family/religion as important. Therefore the children are just the end product of that type of thinking.

I believe this started in the 1980’s with the idea that only the individual mattered.

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

Next up: Religious kids have more B.O. and they don't wipe as well after potty than their non-religious counterparts.

24. Meister, Nov 10, 2015

Meister Suspended

Meister

You are of course right.

But that's just the tip of the iceberg.

With many surveys you don't know if the people conducting them even asked anyone ... or if the subjects they asked fullfiled the criteria ... or understood the question ...

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    There goes my appetite.