Religulous

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by floyde, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

So there's this new documentary film called 'Religulous' coming out. Probably some sort of response to Expelled. It's by the director of Borat and Bill Maher.

While I really prefer to see this kind of stuff instead of Intelligent Design propaganda, I don't think it'll be any different in terms of objectivity. Besides, even if it's good, I can't imagine any religious people showing up at the theaters, except maybe to protest and to stop other people from watching it.

What do you guys think?

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

From the previews it looks like it's just Bill Maher going around trying to be funny while putting down religion in general. If it were anyone else in the movie I might go see it, but Bill Maher is a total moron and I plan on skipping any movie or television show with him in it.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

That looks like a pretty funny movie. I don't feel bad for people getting poked at because of their religion.

jon

4. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Love Bill Maher, and can't wait to see this flick.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

So many ancient religions and many with moronic thinking. Its such a business.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Same. He's hilarious, and his show on HBO is great.

7. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Don't you hate that they "showed a little leg" and provided a free video podcast for all of one episode? Meh, I just love my Apple TV is all.

~ CB

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

this is what irks me. if i were to say "i dont feel bad for people getting poked at because of their sexual identity" id be getting all sorts bad comments to me about not respecting others and such. (not that i would say that, just pointing out an observation)

just ironic at how people can say the same about religion and no one even raises an eyebrow

ok small rant over

edit: sorry for being an off topic post. i consider my self religious and wouldnt mind seeing this movie

9. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

So True. People love to poke fun at things that they don't agree with but when it's someone poking fun at them thats a different story, hypocrites. I personally don't like Bill Mahr and won't be watching this movie looks lame to me.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

There's a big difference between religiousness and sexual identity. Your sexuality is intrinsic to who you are. It's like ethnicity and skin colour. You do not arbitrarily choose which sexuality to be or which ethnicity to be. These do deserve our respect.

Religion is very much the opposite. Your religion is arbitrary chosen and demonstrably false (To break it gently there was no ark filled with every animal, and there's no such thing as miracles, and no sea was ever parted. No one is being reincarnated. Aliens aren't coming back to earth.). It on preys on people's fears and selling them the idea that the are being just and good through subscription. It deserves to be challenged and mocked where it is ridiculous. No matter how people try to sell it 'faith' has no virtue to it at all. It's just like all 'beliefs', challenging, debating, and mocking is healthy.

If you feel the need to hide your religion away from challenge, then there's every chance you already realise it is absurd and doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Aren't you raising an eyebrow right now? :confused:

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

bull ****. People's religion is intrinsic to who they are as well. You think the folks walking around today just said "hmmm, I think I'll be a muslim, or something..". Try telling a Jew that their religion has nothing to do with their identity and see what the response is.

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Sorry it is arbitrary no matter what language you use. Why isn't each country an equal mix of every religion? Because it's indoctrinated in early life. The majority are sucked into the religion they are arbitrarily born in to. It's not a rational decision where you weigh up all the religions and choose which one that is the most rational.

Religion is not intrinsic to the individual. It's often sold as such to give it more gravity and protect it from scrutiny. But it isn't.

14. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I could argue that I didn't choose my religion but God chose me. He revealed to me the truths through my own experiences and His Word. It has become intrinsic to who I am. I could not deny the existance of God without deceiving myself and denying who I truly am.

15. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

If you are suggesting that people have a religion as an inbuilt part of them, then why bother preaching to those not-converted?

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

So thats how you justify mocking the faithful/religious?

Thats bigotry, my friend. In a nice. little. box.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Let's not beat about the bush. Either you chose your religion or your parents chose it for you by proxy. This idea of the followers being chosen by the deity doesn't withstand the point that there are multiple religions, some of which are even based around the same deity. If you were chosen why aren't you a Muslim? Or a Jew?

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

how in the heck do you know it's false? also, religion DEFINES who i am to say otherwise is utter bs. sorry i am seriously offended by your comment. what gives you the right, no, make that what makes you so sure that you are right to the point that you are correct and anyone who is religious is someone who cant grasp reality.....

have you ever asked the question why is there ANYTHING at all? to act like you KNOW all the answers without knowing the truth yourself is absurd
    :rolleyes:

yes i am but if it were concerning sexual identity, it would have been called out on the next reply

exactly

19. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Andy, I'm totally with you here - I see no reason to not call people out for having absurd and illogical beliefs.

20. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Exactly!

It's all well and good saying 'Hey look, God chose me, I didn't choose him', but who was it then who said 'Be a Muslim' or 'Be a Hindu' to those who chose those faiths?

So said a Christian friend of mine, shortly before ditching the faith and becoming a Buddhist. If he was called by God in the first place, then why turn his back?

21. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

A language note rather than a religious one: Something cannot become intrinsic to you. That isn't what intrinsic means. It always was, or it isn't. You can argue that your religion is important to you, but you cannot call it intrinsic because you were not born with it. Whether your religion was bestowed upon you by God or by other humans doesn't matter. That it was bestowed at all makes it extrinsic.

22. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'll keep an eye on this movie - perhaps it will be good, but I can see a lot of ways in which it could fail.

As for Bill Maher - I love his HBO show, but find his stand-up to be lacking.

His stance on religion is well-known - and while he has definitely had some hilarious observations to that end, he is hardly open-minded. We'll see how this plays out in the movie...

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You weren't specially chosen by 'god'. You're an awesome person with awesome thoughts, awesome actions, and an awesome personality. That's you. You have that autonomy intrinsically - ascribing yourself who you are because of god is selling yourself short. You'd be great and have the same aspirations and behaviours god or not. If you lost your faith you'd be exactly that same passionate and thoughtful person you are now.

Beliefs deserve to be mocked when they're patently false and absurd. If someone wants to sell intelligent design or creationism as science they deserve to be mocked and laughed out of town for their stupidity. It's not science. If they pretend that they were born in to their religion or specially chosen by god then they also deserve to have that mocked for their delusions of grandeur. There's a difference between bigotry and challenging people's perceptions, which is exactly what initial point was. Your religion is arbitrary, whereas your ethnicity/sexuality is intrinsic.

I have no idea what you are saying here. You weren't born with you religion. It isn't intrinsic to who you, you've arbitrarily chosen it, or had it thrust upon you by indoctrination. If you were born in the middle east you'd likely be a muslim, in Burma likely a buddhist, in Hollywood likely a scientologist....

I don't claim to know any answers. Quite the contrary. You are the one ascribing ANYTHING and everything to god. By claiming that you are loud and clearly shouting that you have all the answers. I'd much rather take the humble road of admitting I don't know what things are, but am happy to read, do the research, and logically challenge preconceptions. I'll be more than happy to die without deluding myself into thinking I have all the answers.

24. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

floyde

Well I wouldn't be offended if someone made monkey jokes about me because of my atheistic stance. I might find it annoying, sure, but I wouldn't call them bigots or intolerant. As long as no one incites hatred, persecution or infringes on other people's rights, then it's all just a healthy (if rather annoying) exercise of free speech. Just so you understand where .Andy's coming from, think about this: if someone made fun of a person who believes in fairies, you might think that it's rude, but you would rarely use the label 'intolerant'. For some of us, belief in religion and belief in fairies seems pretty much like the same thing.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Sure. The creation museum is stupid. Make fun of it. Be my guest. There are fringe aspects to every group or community. But thats not license to mock all religion across the board. I guess thats what they call a slippery slope. So wear good shoes.

To say that religion isn't intrinsic to someone's identity is just wrong. Measure the heated responses you get when you state your opinion outside of the PRSI "safe" area. If its not intrinsic, then why didn't all the jews in Hitler's Germany just stop being jews? Why go to the camps if its just some "arbitrary choice"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.