Relocated home button in the next iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by v2club, Dec 15, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

I think that the home button should be relocated to the right side of the devise, just the opposite side of the volume buttons. This way the front of the phone could be buttonless and there would be more room for bigger screen without increasing the overall size of the devise (let's face it the industry will go this way eventually, because we want devises with big screens, but small enough to fit in our pockets. Android have already done it the Ice Cream Sandwich by getting rid of the physical buttons). The button can be just as long as the length between the volume buttons and can be touch sensitive like the trackpad and when you swipe your thumb up or down you can switch between open apps and when you press it, you can have the normal home button functions. So let me know what do you think about that and how likely is to see it in the next iPhone or the one after that may be.

2. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

That's actually a good idea imho!

You never really use the home button for something specific that needs it to be where it is (can't even think of any reason), so it might as well be on the side instead..

Sounds like a Steve Jobs idea..

3. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I don't see where it would make much of a difference. The display can already be increased quite a bit in size without relocating the button. It has to get wider in order to increase its size at all and maintain the same aspect ratio. Personally, I like the current size and hope they don't turn it into a huge slab like the big Androids are. They look stupid to me.

4. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I'm happy with the home button right where it is . . .

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I like it where it is. If it moved to the side of the phone then I would probably accidentally press it a lot, like I do with the volume buttons now. Pressing the volume button on accident while you're playing a game isn't such a big deal. Accidentally pressing the home button while playing a game would be much more disruptive.

6. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

so i put my phone on the arm of the sofa, i open my sony bluray player remote control app, i select a tv program, watch for a while, display sleeps, i reach over to push the home button, oh now I have to pick it up and hold it with two hands just to unlock it = epic fail

7. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm not sure if I would call that an epic fail, if any other phone went to sleep I'm betting you would have to unlock it as well.

8. Zxxv macrumors 68040

ok how about im sat watching tv, text comes in, i reach over to press the home button to tell siri to reply and oops i need to pick it up two hands to do what was so simple before.

9. Ktdhc macrumors member

..what? just stop posting.

10. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I don't follow your logics? What makes you need two hands to push a button on the side instead of on the front:confused: Maybe if you have one finger on each hand, then i'd see your point, but we have more than that..

11. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I often Put my phone down. To unlock it I push the button ontop. If it were on the side the phone would spin or require another hand to keep it still. Hence my examples above showing how I use it one handed.

12. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Sorry don't do requests.

13. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

You must have tiny hands. It never* took me two hands to change the volume on my iPhone.

*seriously, I'm not joking here, I don't believe I have EVER used both hands to change the volume.

14. jake921660 macrumors regular

everyone should leave zxxv alone. its not his fault he doesnt have opposable thumbs.

15. mstrze macrumors 68000

I see what he's getting at though: If the phone is sitting on a desk, let's say, you can press the home button and unlock it without picking it up. If the home button were moved to the side, in order to have enough force to 'press' it, the phone would have to be braced against another object...or picked up...otherwise, it would be impossible to press a button on the side of a device.

Try it now with your own iPhone....can you successfully press one of the volume buttons with one hand or one finger with the phone on a table or desk? How about the home button?:eek:

Sure you don't need 2 hands to do it, but you don't need to pick it up like you would with a side-mounted home button.

16. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

One hand, not picking up off dinner table, adjusting volume right now.

17. mstrze macrumors 68000

Guess I was thinking more one finger...but touche. :)

18. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Thanks. Glad to know I explained it well enough for one person to get it. :)

I also know what others are saying about pinch gripping it but I dont want to do that as sometimes im eating or have dirt on my hands or spme other scenerio so I use my little finger which is clean.

I guess we are all different but in my case I prefer to keep the home button as is.

19. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Still don't see the logics here.. Sorry..

Using one hand with the phone on the table without any other object pushing against it etc and adjusting the volume or such is very easy with one hand. The buttons are so easy to touch yet feel like they are of high quality with the click to it.. i often use one hand just like you describe but for the sleep/wake button which is even harder to do with one hand as it's on the wrong "side", but still easy.

I guess you are just used to the home button on the front and simply want it to be like that way, but remember, that's okay, no need to tell us that it's hard to do it the other way though when we have no problem adjusting volume etc like that :)

20. Zxxv macrumors 68040

*yawn* your lame attempt at an insult would be amazing if my iq was lower :)

How about this idea . have the option of using the proximity sensor to unlock the screen. Could assign its use by 3 clicks of home button. though i use that to switch white on black i'd be disappointed having to chose between them but most likely I'd choose the proximity unlock as I'd find that useful in a lot of situations.

21. tomhut macrumors member

tomhut

Might be slightly awkward to use if you are left handed though.

22. v2club thread starter macrumors regular

SERIOUSLY GUYS???

From mine: Hey let's have the same size phone but with bigger screen or let's have the same size screen but with smaller phone, either way we gonna have a nice big screen and a phone that we can actually fit in our pockets?

And your answer is: **** that, I don't care about big screens, all I need and care about is to be able to press the phone with one finger, daa!

Actually I think that Apple should make the next iPhone with rear button as well so I can press it with one finger when it's with the screen down, instead of reaching my hand and flipping it... OMG the horror...

23. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Biggerscreen, gestures, and button on side would be good :)

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

He's got malformed crab hands. It's the only possible answer.

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Hmm. Maybe RIM had the right idea with their original clickable Storm touchscreen, but the wrong usage.

What if the entire screen was a pressure sensitive Home button?

Then you could have your cake and eat it too. Big display, big Home button (the entire screen), and no need for extra blank space at the bottom.

Of course, those folks who jab hard at the screen during games probably wouldn't like it :)