Remake better than original?

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
GetGo's thread on Unchained Melody got me to thinking (and there may be a thread like this out there... but I couldn't find one).

What songs do you consider the remake to be better than the original recording??

Off the top of my head... I'll name 2

1. Whitney Houston's "I'll Always Love You", even though I like Dolly Parton's original.

2. Willie Nelson's "You Were Always On My Mind", not sure of the original, although I know Elvis did it

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Stereophonics & Tom Jones - Momma Told me not to Come, original by ______ (I have no idea), but this version is great!

Sterophonics cover of Handbags & Gladrags was fantastic too actually.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
edesignuk said:
Stereophonics & Tom Jones - Momma Told me not to Come, original by ______ (I have no idea), but this version is great!

Sterophonics cover of Handbags & Gladrags was fantastic too actually.
Funny... I just posted in another thread that I went to a Rod Stewart and Three Dog Night concert in '73, only concert I've been to...

Three Dog Night - Mamma Told Me Not To Come
Rod Stewart - Handbags and Gladrags

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Kylie Minogue, "Locomotion". Oh, wait, you said better than the original. And now that silly song is stuck in your head. Sorry!

Found a decent list here....

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
It's hard to top, but
Devo - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Cat Power - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

are both really good and very different versions of the Rolling Stones' original.
Cat Power's Covers album is excellent as well, and on Moon Pix she covers Dylan's Moonshiner excellently as well.

Also, The Sonics' covers of everything are top notch. For anyone that likes 60s rock and roll and hasn't heard The Sonics.... you're missing out!
Lee Tom

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Jeff Beck, Cause we ended as lovers, orig Stevie Wonder
Jimi Hendrix, Hey Joe, originally Billy Roberts
Allman Brothers, Stormy Monday, orig. T-Bone Walker
David Bowie, Across The Universe, orig. The Beatles
(many would probably disagree..)
Eric Clapton, Cocaine, orig J.J Cale
Guns 'n' roses, Knocking on Heavens door, orig Bob Dylan
(i'm a huge Dylan fan, but i never did like his version of this..)

Probably many more...

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
even though I love NIN, I think Johnny Cash's version of 'Hurt' is better... ;)

even though I love Dusty Springfield, I think Susanna Hoffs version of 'The Look of Love' is better ;) although it's also incredibly faithful to the original. :)

even though I love Leonard Cohen, I think R.E.M.'s version of 'First We Take Manhattan' is better ;)

even though 'The Shirelles' version of 'Dedicated to The One I Love' is a beautiful song, 'the Mamas and the Papas' sophisticated harmony version is better. ;)

even though I love Peter Green, I still think Midge Ure's cover of 'Supernatural' is better. ;)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
ok here's two tough ones.

Little Wing: Is Stevie Ray Vaughan og Jimi Hendrix(orig.) best?
Black Magic Woman: Santana or Fleetwood Mac(orig.) ?

yuc7zhd2

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
I'm positively sure that there are so many more in my collection that would qualify, but I think I prefer
Aimee Mann - One
Ryan Adams - Wonderwall
to the originals. Actually, I'm not sure about the preference thing, but both of them come from places that are very different than the originals, which were great to begin with.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
In my opinion, the best cover ever to be better than the original was Hendrix covering Dylan with "All Along the Watchtower"

Smashing Pumkins did a good cover of "Landslide" though, I think.

cluthz -
For Black Magic Woman, I'd have to say Santana, just because of the guitar.

Someone should start a "Cover's that aren't so good" thread.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
jdechko said:
In my opinion, the best cover ever to be better than the original was Hendrix covering Dylan with "All Along the Watchtower"
I'd agree that one is better.

jdechko said:
cluthz -
For Black Magic Woman, I'd have to say Santana, just because of the guitar.
I'm not sure, i like some things about the Santanas better, but i also like the simplicity about the Fleetwood Macs version.
The Fleetwoods vocal is much better.

Santans guitar solo is better, but Peter Green (in Fleetwood Mac) is better guitarist than Carlos Santana (oh yeah!). To bad Peter Green was a heroine addict for over 30 years..

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
cluthz said:
To bad Peter Green was a heroine addict for over 30 years..
Yeah, but we probably should avoid the discussion of drugs in a music thread. It's a shame that so many great artists (esp. Hendrix) become addicted to drugs and we never get to see the rest of their music genius. I think Ozzy did some great stuff for rock, but after all the drugs and stuff, he can barely speak a complete sentence without stuttering.

Im glad I didnt open my mouth in ignorance. I had always thought that Lindsey Buckingham was always the guiartist for Fleetwood Mac, but after some research, I now feel more educated. Guess thats what I get for liking music thats from before I was born!

mike3k

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Bruce Springsteen's & Youssou N'dour's versions of "Chimes of Freedom" are much better than Bob Dylan's original.

Jeff Beck's "People Get Ready", original by Curtis Mayfield.

"I fought the law" by The Clash beats the original '60s version.

Dave Matthews' "All along the watchtower" beats the originals by Hendrix & Dylan and his "Cortez the Killer" beats the original by Neil Young.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
OK. I've got a lot of these. Some obvious, some controversial... :D

1. "One" by Johnny Cash (original by U2)
2. "Always on My Mind" by Pet Shop Boys (Elvis)
3. "Go West" by Pet Shop Boys (Village People)
4. "Where the Streets Have No Name" by Pet Shop Boys (U2)
5. "Born to Run" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood (Springsteen)
6. "Suspicious Minds" by Fine Young Cannibals (Elvis)
7. "Wonderwall" by Mike Flowers Pops (Oasis)
8. "1999" by Mike Flowers Pops (Prince)
9. "Viva Las Vegas" by The Dead Kennedys (Elvis)
10. "Girlfriend" by The Beautiful South (Pebbles)

Honorable Mention:
"Common People" by Pulp is nearly my favorite song of all time, and certainly of the 90's. William Shatner's cover is damn good, but probably not as good.

I look forward to the WORST covers list.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
iGAV said:
even though I love Dusty Springfield, I think Susanna Hoffs version of 'The Look of Love' is better ;) although it's also incredibly faithful to the original. :)
Likewise, I like the Bangles' take on "Hazy Shade of Winter" better than the Simon & Garfunkel original.

Speaking of S&G, Frank Sinatra's cover of Mrs. Robinson is hilarious.

And the detached, bored delivery in the Polyphonic Size cover of Mother's Little Helper always makes me smile.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
iMeowbot said:
Likewise, I like the Bangles' take on "Hazy Shade of Winder" better than the Simon & Garfunkel original.
Oooh, I forgot about that... I agree with you too! ;)

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Hmm... not really a guy for cover versions myself, although some stand out from the Crowd of Crapness (TM)

Ministry - Lay Lady Lay (Originally Dylan),
PWEI - Love missile F-111 (Originally Sigue-sigue Sputnik),
Atari Teenage Riot - Into the death (Originally Slayer, though their version features Kerry King so I'm not sure if it counts)
Dead Kennedys - I fought the law (Originally so many other people I forget!)
Devo - Head like a hole (Originally Nine Inch Nails) ;) :eek:
John Linnell - California Uber-alles (Originally Dead Kennedys, though I think this was only ever performed live. Kicked the s**t out of Jello and his crew, though)
Katscan - Connection (Originally Elastica)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
May 7, 2004
Sod off
This one just popped into my head suddenly:

Apoptygma Berzerk - Fade To Black (Metallica, Duh!)

I wouldn't neccesarily call it better than the original, but AB do a great job of translating a metal ballad into an electronic format.

I like Dave Matthews' version of All Along the Watchtower best.

Somebody start a "Crap Covers" thread now, for some reason I can think up more of those!