Remeber that the "S" iphones are only minor updates

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knockoutjosie, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502

Knockoutjosie

As a 4's owner I am ecxited to finally have LTE, bigger screen, A7 chip, camera update, touch sensor. I do not see why the 5 users would want a 5s when its practially the same thing. I have a feeling the Iphone 6 will change cell phones forever. So 4's users are you gettting a 5S or waitng for the Iphone 6?

2. Charadis macrumors 6502a

For me, it's the fingerprint sensor and gold color. And the fact the processor is 64-bit, it might help for future-proofing. I try to regulate how often I actually use the Home button....I use Activator for all home button needs except for unlocking....so this might actually eliminate my need to ever click the button, or as much.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It's actually a big upgrade. This is the biggest upgrade in the S versions yet. Just depends on how you look at it.

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I have a 5 and I'm not upgrading. Not worth it.

6. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I have a 4 which is slowly starting to give up, so I think I'll be getting a 5S. I don't really want a bigger screen, so I'm thinking get a 5S before the 6 comes out and the screen gets bigger again.

7. matttye macrumors 601

Same. Only worth upgrading every other time IMO.

8. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

lol

----------

though I'm not eligible yet, I feel the same.

9. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

But it's not a minor upgrade, it's a significant jump in specs with the fingerprint reader and a 9% larger capacity battery. It's even 64-bit.
    If it had a different case design and was called "6" people would be happy.

I'm on a 4S so I will be. :D

10. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Obviously this update isn't for iPhone 5 owners.

It's for 4S owners and is a huge upgrade for them.

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Do you have a fear of pressing buttons? Elevators must be hell.

12. matttye macrumors 601

The 'significant jump' in specs won't make any difference for me. The processor being twice as fast as my iPhone 5 will hardly make a difference. The OS is already blazingly fast.

13. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Minor... no, It's the Tick Tock- in the past X updates are more exterior with (more) minor interior updates, Xs updates are significantly more upgraded on the inside-major processor jump, better chipsets etc.

3g to 3gs > Speed Interior
    4 to 4s > Speed and Siri
    5 to 5s > Speed and Security

*each model generally gets better camera/voice clarity if supported by carrier, and other refinements.

14. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Exactly. This will probably remain the case so long as 2 year contracts remain the norm in certain regions like the US. We might see a change in this tick-tock model if these upgrade programs at the US carriers take hold.

15. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

News flash this was a huge update.
    Better camera
    Better flash
    Additional LTE bands
    .64 bit processer
    M7 processer
    Touch I'd sensor
    Better battery

I'm upgrading from the 5 to enjoy all these new features

16. AAPLinc, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

The reason why it's considered a bigger "S upgrade" than the 4S was, is because technology has advanced a great deal since 2010/11, but at the same time it's peaking quickly, therefore they add a FP sensor to keep it "up to date". The battery increase and beefier internals are expected for any update. S upgrades are usually like a "1/2 step up", obviously. But respectively, the 4S was 2x as fast as the 4, the 5 was 2x as fast as the 4S and the 5S is supposed to be 2x as fast as the 5. So..upgrades have sort of kept the same pattern, regardless if it's an S or not.

I have a 4S and am seriously considering waiting for the 6. I kind of want off the "S" train.

S phones are considered "minor updates" because the body style is the same. Realistically the internal upgrades are just as good as any other update.

17. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I'm upgrading not because I necessarily am in love with the 5S but my 16GB iPhone 5 is running low on space and I was hoping to buy a 32 GB 5 so I have to go 5S. Not remotely even interested in plastic crap.

----------

Enjoy your 10% more battery and extra LTE bands. How many bands do you need. The iPhone 5 worked fine on pretty much all LTE bands here in the US. The camera is marginally better, 15% to be exact. The iPhone 5 still has a remarkable camera. So to me the Touch ID is the only main feature that is included with the 5S that is making a big difference in the phone.

18. Spacial macrumors 6502

One things for certain, even if it wasn't upgraded it would sell. There's a lot of influence in that fruity logo. If that's not an example of brand power, nothing is.

19. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Yes those are all new but they only add up to a minor improvement. The speed is still hindered by iOS 7 animations, the battery life is very marginally better, and the other stuff is just modest upgrading.

20. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

64 bit is modest??? Touch I'd is modest????? Not on this planet. M7 Coprocessor????

There is just a huge Lack of respect for technology On this forum!

21. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

And they pretty much crippled that by removing keychain from the iOS7 GM.

----------

Huge? Surely you can't be serious.

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I really don't understand the people who feel the need to upgrade every year and then whine about how the upgrades aren't all that much. Can someone explain to me the massive difference between the Galaxy S3 and S4?

Maybe 5 percent of iPhone owners upgrade each year. I only did when I could pass phones on to my parents and use their upgrade eligibility. So if you're the antsy 5 percent that thinks it controls all sales, guess what? You don't.

23. billycuth macrumors 6502a

24. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I usually take the stairs.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There are no apps that you have that wouldn't provide a better user experience with quicker load times? I sincerely doubt it.