Remember Apple bought the company that had the fingerprint scanner in the Moto Atrix?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stayfly2407, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

im pretty sure this will be the groundbreaking feature in this iphone. Finger print scanner on the home button to unlock. Android has "face to unlock" with ICS, Apple will have the finger print scanner WATCH:D #cantwait

2. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I would predict that for the 5s, or whatever they end up calling it

3. naveah, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

naveah macrumors regular

I agree, the iPhone 5 probably won't have NFC/fingerprint scanning abilities. MacRumors had a story about the timeline of the acquisition a few weeks ago [http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/16...adoption-of-fingerprint-scanning-technology/].

To me the timeline suggests that Apple was still working on the design of the fingerprint scanner when the iPhone 5 would've already been in its prototype and the manufacturing dry-run stage.

It would be an awesome feature to have, though.

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Might be interesting. I had an HP PocketPC about 8 or 9 years ago that had a biometric scanner (fingerprint scanner) for authenticating. Didn't really ever use it except for "show off" factor.

I guess it'd be a lot more useful today compared to the early 2000's before there were a lot of apps available.

5. morty192 macrumors regular

But didn't apple buy access to the tech before hand? So perhaps when implementing the tech they realised they where on to something that actually changed the security game and wanted it to make it solely theirs. So they paid above and beyond for a quick deal + make it iP5 exclusive!

Just a thought?

6. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I doubt Apple will get this feature turned around fast enough for iPhone 5, but I guess we will find out in 3 days.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

They could easily have been integrating the feature before purchasing the company. We will find out this week, but finger print lock screen security would be a very sweet addition.

Finger print validation of NFC transactions would provide that extra security layer Americans seem to need to embrace the technology.

8. zhandri macrumors 6502

never underestimate apple... tho i doubt there will be a fingerprint scanner, they always had this one more thing that surpised everybody. they will need something new apart from the bigger screen to convince people to switch to the iphone 5

9. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

How do you know they didn't acquire the company to put fingerprint scanners on there campus or other things, it doesn't mean it's for iphone

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

How dare you imply that Apple would do something that did not benefit the average consumer!

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Apple would not purchase the company just to put fingerprint scanners on the doors at their campus.

Clearly they could have purchased this company for their computer line of scanners, but mobile is a much more likely option given AuthenTec's technology that allows for accurate scanning through glass and similar materials.

The company also has some interesting DRM tech.